347 posts
Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Did you leave early?

by Maguire » 31 Jan 2013 19:17

Blue Jay
Maguire
MmmMonsterMunch I do question how much enjoyment people actually get from footy if the traffic & getting home is at the forefront of their minds!

But what's wrong with that? Maybe they've got something better to do at home. It's only football and most of the time it's shit.

Save some money and foxtrot oscar then!

You'd rather an empty seat and less money for the club? You don't sound like much of a fan to me.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 31 Jan 2013 19:38

People are different and do different things.
They like and dislike different things. Some leave early, others watch every minute of every game home and away.
This is an internet forum and you are all perfectly entitled to think and rant about anything you want.
Just as long as you realise that it doesn't actually mean that you are correct then it is fine with me.
I can't stand intolerance .....

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 31 Jan 2013 20:04

percyisfreeman I am not a newbie and have been watching Reading since Wagstaff Cummins Habin Freeman and all, so bog off you spotty little kids.

that'll show 'em

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 31 Jan 2013 20:05

Maguire
MmmMonsterMunch I do question how much enjoyment people actually get from footy if the traffic & getting home is at the forefront of their minds!

But what's wrong with that? Maybe they've got something better to do at home. It's only football and most of the time it's shit.

Yeah, I've got a foot in both camps here. I very rarely leave early but I can understand why people do sometimes. TBH the West Brom game is a case in point. Fookin freezing, not looking like scoring 2-0 down with 10 minutes to go. I can see the stands emptying and know the bus queue is not only going to be massive but will be jibbed by the usual faces too. I've had the pleasure of waiting for a bus to come back from the station before. 15 years and Reading Buses still can't sort out how to police a queue or load several buses.. Anwyay, I digress. Never left Elm Park early but then it wasn't the pain in the arse to get to and get away from that Madejski is.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 21 Feb 2013 16:38

Strong evidence for the stay til the whistle camp. This is the type of guy who leaves early:-

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4806528/Coventry-fan-Dan-in-phone-in-mix-up-over-scoreline.html

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 21 Feb 2013 17:04

Seal Strong evidence for the stay til the whistle camp. This is the type of guy who leaves early:-

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4806528/Coventry-fan-Dan-in-phone-in-mix-up-over-scoreline.html

Listen to the opinionated half wit here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21534620

Classic!

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 21 Feb 2013 17:31

That is absolutely priceless. The bloke didn't believe it when they said that Coventry had won. If he'd had the grace to say words to the effect that Cov's performance was shite so he left early cos he had to get home, and after he was told the result, said that he was glad they'd won in the end and was sorry he'd missed the goals, that might have been OK.

I suppose some fans just like to moan. I'm glad we haven't got any like that!!

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 21 Feb 2013 17:59

Perhaps the performances on the pitch are a direct result of those with negative vibes leaving the ground resulting in a more positive environment in which to play?

Maybe we should encourage the early leavers to leave earlier or even not bother turning up.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 21 Feb 2013 23:50

Leaving if you have to go and get the kids, have to be somewhere else etc. is very different to leaving because you want to make a quick getaway or because you've given up on the game.

I've had to leave a game 10 minutes early because we had a flight to catch for a family holiday. I've never left a game early out of choice and I think you're a bit of a mug for doing so for the following reason;

a) Economically, you pay to watch a complete game of football. Football is expensive, you may as well get your money's worth.
b) If you know anything about football, you know how often late goals are scored. Late goals are great.
c) For me, football is about supporting a team and if you support something, you don't just walk out on it.

Having said that, the following is also true;

a) It's your money, spend it how you will.
b) If you're 5-0 down, you might not be bothered about seeing a late consolation goal.
c) I respect that not everyone holds my views on what football is about.

All I'd ask, is that if you are going to leave early, just get on with it and try not to disrupt those who are staying. Make your way hastily down the stairs (preferably while the ball is out of play), into the concourse and out of the ground. I nearly missed the winner against Sunderland because of some tool who was leaving while we had a free-kick in a dangerous position, taken by one of the deadliest dead ball artists there is, while the aerial menace that is Jimmy Kebe is lurking at the back post.

JR

by JR » 22 Feb 2013 00:24

M Brook
Seal Strong evidence for the stay til the whistle camp. This is the type of guy who leaves early:-

Listen to the opinionated half wit here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21534620

Classic!

You lot should check your facts first before getting carried away. Cov were 3-0 down from first leg, so the two late goals were irrelevant!!

It's a non-story guys. 95% of what you read in The Sun is factually incorrect.

cpmurph

by cpmurph » 22 Feb 2013 00:37

JR
M Brook

Classic!

You lot should check your facts first before getting carried away. Cov were 3-0 down from first leg, so the two late goals were irrelevant!!

Ironically I consider that fact to be incorrect...

But the sentiment is true, The Sun talks b*llocks.

Never left a football game early out of choice. Was glad the people next to me did in Y22 at the chelsea game, however, as I had much more space to go mental in.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 22 Feb 2013 09:22

JR
M Brook

Classic!

:| Did you listen to the clip? Nothing factually incorrect. Just very funny.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 22 Feb 2013 09:39

JR
M Brook

Classic!

No, but a third wouldn't have been would it? :?

The whole point is that the guy left early and then without checking to find out the facts, i.e. the final score, is stupid enough to go on local radio and make a fool of himself.

Bit like you've done here.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 22 Feb 2013 10:29

But he missed two consolation goals, so what?

In the main, the people lecturing on how everyone should stay until the end just want to w@nk themselves off about how they're a better fan than other people (whatever that means).

If we're 3-0 down on Saturday you won't see me hanging about in injury time and if that means I miss HRK shinning one in then so be it.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 22 Feb 2013 10:32

The Goat was fed Leaving if you have to go and get the kids, have to be somewhere else etc. is very different to leaving because you want to make a quick getaway or because you've given up on the game.

I've had to leave a game 10 minutes early because we had a flight to catch for a family holiday. I've never left a game early out of choice and I think you're a bit of a mug for doing so for the following reason;

a) Economically, you pay to watch a complete game of football. Football is expensive, you may as well get your money's worth.
b) If you know anything about football, you know how often late goals are scored. Late goals are great.
c) For me, football is about supporting a team and if you support something, you don't just walk out on it.

Having said that, the following is also true;

a) It's your money, spend it how you will.
b) If you're 5-0 down, you might not be bothered about seeing a late consolation goal.
c) I respect that not everyone holds my views on what football is about.

All I'd ask, is that if you are going to leave early, just get on with it and try not to disrupt those who are staying. Make your way hastily down the stairs (preferably while the ball is out of play), into the concourse and out of the ground. I nearly missed the winner against Sunderland because of some tool who was leaving while we had a free-kick in a dangerous position, taken by one of the deadliest dead ball artists there is, while the aerial menace that is Jimmy Kebe is lurking at the back post.

M8 M8 M8

2-0 Down

Back in town

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 22 Feb 2013 10:42

:lol:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Feb 2013 10:51

Leaving early alert, leaving early alert.

Childcare issues as partner is away in Brighton.

Looks like I will have to leave 5 minutes early to get to the car and out of green park before the rush! Let's hope we are 3 up by then.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 22 Feb 2013 15:07

I might leave at half time tomorow just so I can post in this thread.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Feb 2013 15:24

I'm leaving the game now.

0-0, nothing is really happening. No atmosphere at all.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 23 Feb 2013 17:15

Leaving early never had it so good.
Exodus today.
Final whistle marked by tumbleweed.

347 posts