SIGNED - Nick Blackman

285 posts
UpNorth

SIGNED - Nick Blackman

by UpNorth » 28 Jan 2013 07:49

We are interested in Blackman after his performance in the cup game.

Sheffield Star claims we are 'monitoring' the situation.

NICK Blackman, the Sheffield United striker, could become the subject of a bidding war involving three clubs with Reading poised to enter the race for his signature.

Sources close to the Madejski Stadium last night claimed that Brian McDermott has become the latest manager to monitor the 23-year-old following an impressive start to the season at Bramall Lane.

Crystal Palace, whose representatives watched Saturday’s FA Cup tie between United and McDermott’s side, fired the first shot in what could become a fierce battle by lodging a £1m bid on the eve of the League One club’s defeat.

However, news that Reading are also monitoring Blackman has dealt a blow to both their hopes of acquiring the former Blackburn Rovers marksman and also United’s efforts to retain his services.

McDermott, whose team advanced courtesy of goals from Noel Hunt (2), Mikele Leigertwood and Garath McCleary, could assemble an even more lucrative package given Reading’s Premier League status while the prospect of top-flight football would prove difficult for the player himself to resist.

The situation has been further complicated by suggestions that Blackman, who has scored 14 times since his close season move from Ewood Park, is being courted by another as yet unidentified club.

United will attempt to sign a replacement should he leave before Thursday ’s transfer deadline.

Blackman’s impressive start to last weekend’s fourth round tie, combined with Palace’s presence at the ground, is said to have alerted McDermott to the possibility of launching a counter offer although it remains unclear whether Reading will pursue their interest.

Sounds like an obvious attempt to drum up interest and money for the League 2 striker...

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Rumour - Nick Blackman

by Platypuss » 28 Jan 2013 08:02

^ agree - standard regurgitated agent talk.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 28 Jan 2013 08:08

Np player for Shefield Utd stood out for me on Saturday so he ain't that good.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 28 Jan 2013 08:12

Sheffield Utd fan i spoke to on Saturday recons a deal is already very close for Blackman to go to Palace.

Alf Hooker

by Alf Hooker » 28 Jan 2013 08:46

He seemed to be playing as an attacking midfielder on Sat rather than and out and out forward, wasnt he also taking their corners?

I wouldnt see this as a bad signing if it were more than rumour as i thought his off the ball runs and deliveries into the box stood out and he looked a threat just lacked any quality around him to make anything of it.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 Jan 2013 09:50

Thought he looked just about the best player on the pitch on Saturday, despite being played out of position for most of it.

Won't please the mong section of the fan base but wouldn't be a bad signing.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 28 Jan 2013 10:03

Was he their number 10? He looked like their best player to me.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 Jan 2013 10:10

Yes he was their no. 10....

So then, Ince for 7m
Blackman for 1m
or Bentley for, presumably, not too much as he's out of contract in the summer?

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 28 Jan 2013 10:14

I thought on Saturday he looked a class above the rest of their team. Good movement, pacey, decent touch, decent delivery. Noticeable that Kits was talking to him a lot too and that they seemed to have a good understanding.

Can't see hims as prem class yet, but wouldn't argue as addition to squad.

Philly Flyer

by Philly Flyer » 28 Jan 2013 10:19

Tommy Youlden's Ears I thought on Saturday he looked a class above the rest of their team. Good movement, pacey, decent touch, decent delivery. Noticeable that Kits was talking to him a lot too and that they seemed to have a good understanding.

Can't see hims as prem class yet, but wouldn't argue as addition to squad.

+1

Looked very good. Agree with all of the above plus he worked hard, covered a lot of ground and more than did his shift in defence.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 28 Jan 2013 10:37

Thought he was very good in the first half when playing right wing, didn't notice him much after moving more central in the second period. Could be a decent addition, but didn't strike me of much higer quality than our other wingers.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 28 Jan 2013 10:40

Yep would definitely take him and at £1m could end up to be a steal. Had good quick footwork, fast, strong, tall and a good set piece taker. And still quite young at 23.

royaldownunder

by royaldownunder » 28 Jan 2013 11:51

Royal Ginger Sheffield Utd fan i spoke to on Saturday recons a deal is already very close for Blackman to go to Palace.

He's turned it down
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... nsfer.html

Would he be any better than what we have already? I could only see him out on loan to the championship to see what he's like at that level? Maybe a replacement for Church?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2013 12:57

royaldownunder
Royal Ginger Sheffield Utd fan i spoke to on Saturday recons a deal is already very close for Blackman to go to Palace.

He's turned it down

Would he be any better than what we have already? I could only see him out on loan to the championship to see what he's like at that level? Maybe a replacement for Church?

We only really have three strikers at the moment (Church is never going to feature unless it's an emergency, Roberts looks to be finished). So at significantly younger than Hunt, he's not a bad punt, although I'd want to see him really pushing Hunt to be third choice, if not better for £1m.

royaldownunder

by royaldownunder » 28 Jan 2013 13:00

Good point, would be good to have another striking option if Roberts is effectively out of the equation.

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 28 Jan 2013 13:14

Thought he looked quite good, would probably be a good asset back in the Championship.

Not so sure he can push to be starting ahead of what we already have this season though.

JS28ZoD

by JS28ZoD » 28 Jan 2013 20:59

My mate who is a Blades ST holder has said that anything over £250k for him would be good business for them, he doesn't seem that fussed if he stays or goes.

He usually knows his football but as I don't recall seeing Blackman play I can really comment further.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Jan 2013 22:29

The Real Sandhurst Royal Np player for Shefield Utd stood out for me on Saturday so he ain't that good.

To be fair, that probably says more about you than him.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 29 Jan 2013 00:03

Ian Royal
royaldownunder

He's turned it down

We only really have three strikers at the moment (Church is never going to feature unless it's an emergency, Roberts looks to be finished). So at significantly younger than Hunt, he's not a bad punt, although I'd want to see him really pushing Hunt to be third choice, if not better for £1m.

When we're mostly playing with 1 up top what have we realistically got to offer a 3rd/4th choice striker. He'd struggle to make the bench. I get the point about striker back-up, but we have McCleary and HRK should it come to that. I fancy McCleary could really do the job.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 29 Jan 2013 01:37

Royal Ginger
Ian Royal
royaldownunder He's turned it down

When we're mostly playing with 1 up top what have we realistically got to offer a 3rd/4th choice striker. He'd struggle to make the bench. I get the point about striker back-up, but we have McCleary and HRK should it come to that. I fancy McCleary could really do the job.
would love to see McCleary up front. Pace, flair and good finishing... a Neymar style striker
:D

285 posts