Too early for Blackman?

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Too early for Blackman?

by rhroyal » 09 Feb 2013 17:15

I'm not writing off a signing after 1 start and 1 sub appearance.

However, when we signed this guy, one word often used was "raw". To throw him into the thick of it so quickly is a gamble; whilst it has paid off with Akpan, Blackman has not looked ready from what we've seen so far. I saw that even in his 20 minute cameo against Sunderland.

He has pace, strength, a few tricks in his locker, but I think we're pushing him in too soon, when we have more experience available in HRK and McCleary. We'd be better off giving him some more coaching, some reserve time and some first team exposure from the bench. Maybe next season he will have stepped up a little.

Just my knee-jerk, overreaction induced opinion.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Too early for Blackman?

by Ian Royal » 09 Feb 2013 17:18

Inclined to agree. Don't think he looks PL quality right now. I'd rather Hunt or ALF upfront than him, McAnuff, HRK or McCleary wide or in the hole than him.

But we'll see how he does over the rest of the season.

TBH, that's a pretty well tempered and considered post, so it can't really be a knee-jerk reactionary one. hHat'd be to say he's shit and a total waste of money. Although I would say that as I agree and I don't knee jerk. :wink:
Last edited by Ian Royal on 09 Feb 2013 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Feb 2013 17:18

rhroyal I'm not writing off a signing after 1 start and 1 sub appearance.

However, when we signed this guy, one word often used was "raw". To throw him into the thick of it so quickly is a gamble; whilst it has paid off with Akpan, Blackman has not looked ready from what we've seen so far. I saw that even in his 20 minute cameo against Sunderland.

He has pace, strength, a few tricks in his locker, but I think we're pushing him in too soon, when we have more experience available in HRK and McCleary. We'd be better off giving him some more coaching, some reserve time and some first team exposure from the bench. Maybe next season he will have stepped up a little.

Just my knee-jerk, overreaction induced opinion.

Wouldn't disagree with that though.

Albert Spangler
Hob Nob Regular

by Albert Spangler » 09 Feb 2013 17:21

Racist

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 09 Feb 2013 17:34

pretty good summary bro.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 09 Feb 2013 17:49

Have to agree although I think he may work better with ALF upfront. He will come good in the end though.

On a more worrying note, Pog was horse sh*t today. He's big enough to stop falling to the floor

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 09 Feb 2013 17:50

He's a striker, not a winger. All of the criticism and questions about being involved too soon is very premature.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Feb 2013 17:53

Thought he was decent today, and unlucky to be taken off. Did a lot more than ALF managed in his 35 minutes.

I like him, and think he'll be a star for us in the Championship next season. Is he 'premiership quality' yet? Probably not, but very few of our squad (if any) are.

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 09 Feb 2013 18:05

Albert Spangler Racist

If he ever becomes a first team regular this joke is going to get reeeeaaaaal old reeeeeaaaaaal soon.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 09 Feb 2013 18:05

winchester_royal Thought he was decent today, and unlucky to be taken off. Did a lot more than ALF managed in his 35 minutes.

I like him, and think he'll be a star for us in the Championship next season. Is he 'premiership quality' yet? Probably not, but very few of our squad (if any) are.

Didn't do any worse than Jobi either..

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Feb 2013 18:17

Or Kebe... Very daft thread.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 09 Feb 2013 19:00

It's not a daft thread at all, it's asking a legitimate question about an inexperienced 21 year old signing.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 09 Feb 2013 19:14

cmonurz It's not a daft thread at all, it's asking a legitimate question about an inexperienced 21 year old signing.

...who was played out of position today, and then the know-it-alls start threads questioning if he's good enough. Silly thread.

Divvy

by Divvy » 09 Feb 2013 19:26

SPARTA
cmonurz It's not a daft thread at all, it's asking a legitimate question about an inexperienced 21 year old signing.

...who was played out of position today, and then the know-it-alls start threads questioning if he's good enough. Silly thread.

Our faithful whingers wont let something like that get in the way of a good moan.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Feb 2013 19:31

SPARTA

Actually it's questioning whether he's ready yet and if it was too soon for starting him. But don't let accuracy or facts get in the way of your strawmaning.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 09 Feb 2013 20:02

He is actually 23 :shock:

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 09 Feb 2013 20:09

Ian Royal
SPARTA

Actually it's questioning whether he's ready yet and if it was too soon for starting him. But don't let accuracy or facts get in the way of your strawmaning.

Like Akpan you have to give the guy minutes to see where he's at. Unlike Akpan he was played out of position today.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 09 Feb 2013 20:28

Now I didn't watch the game today, but I'd suggest that playing Blackman on the wing and McAnuff in the centre, when another option would have been McAnuff wide and Karacan in midfield, was a mistake.

And irrespective of where he was played, minutes on the pitch is sufficient for people to make judgements on his pace, strength, passing and so on.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 09 Feb 2013 20:32

cmonurz Now I didn't watch the game today, but I'd suggest that playing Blackman on the wing and McAnuff in the centre, when another option would have been McAnuff wide and Karacan in midfield, was a mistake.

And irrespective of where he was played, minutes on the pitch is sufficient for people to make judgements on his pace, strength, passing and so on.

This. There were 3 players who should have been playing instead of Blackman today (McCleary, Karacan or HRK).

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Feb 2013 21:25

SPARTA
Ian Royal
SPARTA ...who was played out of position today, and then the know-it-alls start threads questioning if he's good enough. Silly thread.

Like Akpan you have to give the guy minutes to see where he's at. Unlike Akpan he was played out of position today.

No, you see where he's at in training. And even Akpan got an extra sub appearance and more time training with the team before he started. And was played in position as you say. Playing Blackman today was foolish and too soon.