New captain? McAnuff axed?

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

New captain? McAnuff axed?

by LoyalRoyalFan » 27 Mar 2013 12:54

Could you see Adkins appointing a new captain?

Alex Pearce perhaps?

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

Re: New captain? McAnuff axed?

by SPARTA » 27 Mar 2013 12:55

I can't see that until summer, but it needs to happen.

Give it to Mariappa.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 27 Mar 2013 12:55

Not at this stage of the season.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 27 Mar 2013 13:00

Simon Church please

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 27 Mar 2013 13:00

agreed wont happen until summer, pearcey will be gone so it'll probably go to mariappa. i would be pleased if mariappa got it tbh!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Mar 2013 13:07

Axing McAnuff as captain straight away would be an apalling decision given he's very popular with the players and one of the few footballing side opportunities for some continuity to bridge the gap between McDermott and Adkins so there isn't too much disruption too quickly.

He'll be captain until the summer and I wouldn't be surprised to see him captain next season as well, although I'd call it about 50-50. I don't really see many candidates in the existing squad who would do a better job, or who are currently more likely to play.

The HNA thickie brigade obssession with McAnuff being a bad captain and a poor player borders on genuine delusion.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 27 Mar 2013 13:15

SPARTA I can't see that until summer, but it needs to happen.

Give it to Mariappa.

Arguably my player of the season to be honest.

I went to the friendly down at AFC Bournemouth (one of his first appearances for us) and he was already the vocal member of the back four, dictating the line, etc.

I too would be happy with this but, unless McAnuff is to be dropped from the starting line-up altogether, I wouldn't strip him of the armband until the summer.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 27 Mar 2013 13:20

Now that the dust has settled on the manager situation - albeit some of you disappointed you didn't get the shiny new foreign manager you wanted - it is good to see a thread surface in double-quick time focussing some h8red on a player who has achieved a great deal with and for the club.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 27 Mar 2013 13:22

floyd__streete Now that the dust has settled on the manager situation - albeit some of you disappointed you didn't get the shiny new foreign manager you wanted - it is good to see a thread surface in double-quick time focussing some h8red on a player who has achieved a great deal with and for the club.

I don't see any hatred, it's just a known fact that a lot of managers would like to appoint their own skipper.

Most have suggested that a change of captain would be more sensible in the summer anyway.

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 27 Mar 2013 13:27

SPARTA it needs to happen

Why? What do the other players think of him as captain? Surely that's the most important thing.

I have no evidence of what the other players think of him, or how he acts on the training ground, but on the basis that he captained us to the championship title, has been one of our better players this season as the team has pretty much met general expectation, he's very experienced, and as he speaks coherently and sensibly, I think he's a fine chioce of captain.

Osborns scoop

by Osborns scoop » 27 Mar 2013 13:29

Ian Royal Axing McAnuff as captain straight away would be an apalling decision given he's very popular with the players and one of the few footballing side opportunities for some continuity to bridge the gap between McDermott and Adkins so there isn't too much disruption too quickly.

He'll be captain until the summer and I wouldn't be surprised to see him captain next season as well, although I'd call it about 50-50. I don't really see many candidates in the existing squad who would do a better job, or who are currently more likely to play.

The HNA thickie brigade obssession with McAnuff being a bad captain and a poor player borders on genuine delusion.

Totally agree. Great role model especially in the way he has dealt with the shocking and completely unwarranted torrent of abuse he has received from the most fickle and unknowledgable fans in the country.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Mar 2013 13:31

Most people are idiots. In reality Jobi has been one of our better performers has provided the most assists and the most crosses if he wasn't captain every slight mistake he made wouldn't be picked on all the time.

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 27 Mar 2013 13:35

I guess a lot will depend on Caricco's fitness. If he gets fit and stays next year, who knows he might be named Captain. He wasn't Sportings captain for nothing.

Jano

by Jano » 27 Mar 2013 13:36

Can't see that one happening unless his English is exceptionally good. Mariappa would get the call for me, if there was a change.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 27 Mar 2013 13:37

LoyalRoyalFan Could you see Adkins appointing a new captain?

Alex Pearce perhaps?

:shock: ........................ :lol:

So we should replace the current Captain who lead us to the Championship title last season and give it to another player that is off in the summer?

You sir are a moron.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 27 Mar 2013 13:44

Big Ern
LoyalRoyalFan Could you see Adkins appointing a new captain?

Alex Pearce perhaps?

So we should replace the current Captain who lead us to the Championship title last season and give it to another player that is off in the summer?

You sir are a moron.

I was posing a question, in fact I'd be one of the few on this forum to actually support McAnuff. I was merely trying to point out that Adkins could give Pearce the captaincy to try and keep him at the club beyond this summer.

Bit rich coming from yourself though, you could not wait to get McDermott out the door.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 27 Mar 2013 13:45

floyd__streete Now that the dust has settled on the manager situation - albeit some of you disappointed you didn't get the shiny new foreign manager you wanted - it is good to see a thread surface in double-quick time focussing some h8red on a player who has achieved a great deal with and for the club.

Where exactly is the hatred in this thread?

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 27 Mar 2013 13:50

LoyalRoyalFan
Big Ern
LoyalRoyalFan

You sir are a moron.

I was posing a question, in fact I'd be one of the few on this forum to actually support McAnuff. I was merely trying to point out that Adkins could give Pearce the captaincy to try and keep him at the club beyond this summer.

Bit rich coming from yourself though, you could not wait to get McDermott out the door.

Where did you say the appointing Pearce was a ploy to keep him at the club?

What does my views on Mcdermott have to do with this?

You sir are an even bigger moron.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 27 Mar 2013 13:52

Whether you rate McAnuff as a winger is fairly irrelevant, can someone please explain to me on what basis they believe McAnuff to be an appropriate captain?

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 27 Mar 2013 13:52

To flaky and lightweight to be a captain. He's not without talent but a captain should be reliable and committed on the pitch which he isn't. Not being funny, but if I were a fan of another club and didn't know our side it's only the armband that would allow you to recognise who the captain was. Most would wrongly presume it was Pearce and it should have been IMO. Next season is a different matter altogether.