BFTG - The Goon Show

134 posts
CayeneMatt

BFTG - The Goon Show

by CayeneMatt » 31 Mar 2013 09:45

The fact its Sunday morning and still no thread speaks volumes about the performance yesterday. The 2 highlights from yesterday were:

1. The peppered steak pies.
2. The left side being clearly louder than the right.

On the pitch, I would put Guthrie at 7/10 for atleast attempting to pass. Mariappa for yet another solid performance and going on a Rio style run up the pitch.

Shorey was woeful, Kelly not much better. Leigertwood simply dire with mistake after mistake and Karacan yet again showing that running around like a ferret on a gramme of whizz gets you nowhere.

Fecking freezin too.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - The Goon Show

by moo » 31 Mar 2013 10:16

CayeneMatt 2. The left side being clearly louder than the right.

:lol: :lol: Erm..no

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 Mar 2013 10:24

That really was not good and what was really clear is that fans need to be patient over next 9 months. Reminiscent of Rodgers fateful era but this time around money and lots of it needs to be spent on a squad overhaul. Adkins is the right man to take us back up and just hope fans allow him to do that.

Impressive stadium but lacking atmosphere.
Drayton Arms ok.
Reading fans arguing amongst themselves again and getting kicked out.
Decent game of sit down and stand up with stewards.

Quite depressing after game hearing Arsenal fans say that is worst away performance seen by a team for many a year. Yep it was that bad.

We really have made a total pigs ear of this Premier League campaign.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 31 Mar 2013 10:31

Thanks for the post

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 31 Mar 2013 10:46

The RTG brigade have obviously dissapeared up Brians arse!!

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 31 Mar 2013 11:12

paultheroyal That really was not good and what was really clear is that fans need to be patient over next 9 months. Reminiscent of Rodgers fateful era but this time around money and lots of it needs to be spent on a squad overhaul. Adkins is the right man to take us back up and just hope fans allow him to do that.

Impressive stadium but lacking atmosphere.
Drayton Arms ok.

Quite depressing after game hearing Arsenal fans say that is worst away performance seen by a team for many a year. Yep it was that bad.

Were we on the same tube? Speaking to a gooner on the tube, he said the same about our performance. As a team we are simply too ineffective and were the weakest he'd seen in years come to Arsenal. Wasn't exactly in a position to disagree.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 31 Mar 2013 11:17

I think thats something like 13 times we played Arsenal in competitive fixtures and we`ve lost every single one. wouldn`t it be nice to have the mindset of Southamton with wins over Chelsea, Liverpool, City and a draw with the gunners this season?

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 31 Mar 2013 11:22

Remember after the Wigan game when we all said atleast we cant play any worse for the rest of the season?...

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 31 Mar 2013 11:34

Woefully embarrassing.The only positive thing to take is "things can only get better". Failing that the sheer comedy element kicks in.Very hard to put any positive spin on the terror of the situation after that heartless fare.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Mar 2013 11:41

Yes it was bad, but I've seen worse and it was hardly unexpected. From where I was up with the Arsenal fans we looked like what we are - a team at the bottom of the league. Strangely I thought the defence did as best they could and was let down by the midfield who really did nothing. In terms of effort the laziest player on the pitch was Guthrie, who was second best to just about anything, and did little when he had the ball.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Mar 2013 11:44

CayeneMatt The fact its Sunday morning and still no thread speaks volumes about the performance yesterday. The 2 highlights from yesterday were:

On the pitch, I would put Guthrie at 7/10 for atleast attempting to pass. Mariappa for yet another solid performance and going on a Rio style run up the pitch.

Shorey was woeful, Kelly not much better. Leigertwood simply dire with mistake after mistake and Karacan yet again showing that running around like a ferret on a gramme of whizz gets you nowhere.

Fecking freezin too.

HNA? Excuse for Danny Guthrie #2,354.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 31 Mar 2013 12:12

paultheroyal That really was not good and what was really clear is that fans need to be patient over next 9 months. Reminiscent of Rodgers fateful era but this time around money and lots of it needs to be spent on a squad overhaul. Adkins is the right man to take us back up and just hope fans allow him to do that.Impressive stadium but lacking atmosphere.
Drayton Arms ok.

I logged on with the intention of saying that, virtually, word for word.

It's clear that Adkins wants to impose a passing game on the team with immediate effect, so we will be playing with the worst squad in the division and trying to play a new system that is pretty alien to them. As such I don't think it's out of the question that we won't gain a single point in the remainder of this season.

Reading fans are, indeed, going to need to be patient as Adkins looks to build a squad capable of playing in the style he wants, it may well take until up to around Christmas before, hopefully, we start seeing the results and I only hope the fans can man up and stick with it until than. Given that a large percentage of our fans seem to be utter bellends, I have my concerns.

I do believe Adkins starts from a better point than Rodgers with better quality in the squad and, surely, some money to spend. My hope would be that he gets the squad he wants by the start of the season rather than us treading water for the first few games waiting for the transfer window to close.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Mar 2013 12:24

We need to recognise these last few games are a write off and anything we get is a positive. And we need to accept that as long as we don't fall below about 16 next season, thats ok providing we're consolidating to improve significantly the next season. There really can't be a lot to draw from an Arsenal game where the opposition have destroyed us twice before already. Not when Adkins has taken one training session with the whole squad.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Mar 2013 12:33

leon Yes it was bad, but I've seen worse and it was hardly unexpected. From where I was up with the Arsenal fans we looked like what we are - a team at the bottom of the league. Strangely I thought the defence did as best they could and was let down by the midfield who really did nothing. In terms of effort the laziest player on the pitch was Guthrie, who was second best to just about anything, and did little when he had the ball.

I suspect you used to say exactly the same against Caskey, even though (despite being 'lazy', as claimed by some) was still one of our most effective and creative players. And, if you're old enough, I suspect you levied the same criticism against Stuart Beavon.

I suspect the 'football is all about showing a fantastic engine' brigade are going to have a miserable time in the Adkins era.

Schards#2
paultheroyal That really was not good and what was really clear is that fans need to be patient over next 9 months. Reminiscent of Rodgers fateful era but this time around money and lots of it needs to be spent on a squad overhaul. Adkins is the right man to take us back up and just hope fans allow him to do that.Impressive stadium but lacking atmosphere.
Drayton Arms ok.

I logged on with the intention of saying that, virtually, word for word.

It's clear that Adkins wants to impose a passing game on the team with immediate effect, so we will be playing with the worst squad in the division and trying to play a new system that is pretty alien to them. As such I don't think it's out of the question that we won't gain a single point in the remainder of this season.

I would say that sentence is a bit too pessimistic.

jonboy29red

by jonboy29red » 31 Mar 2013 13:05

Legs has played his last game he was a liability again one pass to arsenal that springs to mind was his blind back heal

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 31 Mar 2013 13:13

No one player covered himself in glory. Back four worked incredibly hard to deal with the constant onslaughts and mistakes are to be expected in that situation though. Not sure what Karacan brings to the team that Tabb didn't already. If two managers see Ledge on the training ground and choose to play him despite what we see as bad performances then perhaps we're missing something.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Mar 2013 13:26

St. Brynjar No one player covered himself in glory. Back four worked incredibly hard to deal with the constant onslaughts and mistakes are to be expected in that situation though. Not sure what Karacan brings to the team that Tabb didn't already. If two managers see Ledge on the training ground and choose to play him despite what we see as bad performances then perhaps we're missing something.

Some are. He's our only midfielder who can effectively break up play. If his team mates give him options and show movement he can pass ok if not under immediate pressure. Not really good enough at this level, but neither is most the team. Adkins will have to play him or come up with a different solution as no one else can do the positive role he is there for.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 31 Mar 2013 13:35

CayeneMatt The fact its Sunday morning and still no thread speaks volumes about the performance yesterday. The 2 highlights from yesterday were:

3. Bill Oddie chants led by the Bill Oddie Fan Club :lol:

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 31 Mar 2013 13:44

Ian Royal
St. Brynjar No one player covered himself in glory. Back four worked incredibly hard to deal with the constant onslaughts and mistakes are to be expected in that situation though. Not sure what Karacan brings to the team that Tabb didn't already. If two managers see Ledge on the training ground and choose to play him despite what we see as bad performances then perhaps we're missing something.

Some are. He's our only midfielder who can effectively break up play. If his team mates give him options and show movement he can pass ok if not under immediate pressure. Not really good enough at this level, but neither is most the team. Adkins will have to play him or come up with a different solution as no one else can do the positive role he is there for.

Agree in principal Ian but I'm begining to wonder what exactly 'breaking up the play' involves at this level.

That's a serious question rather than Ledge bashing so if someone with any practical coaching can shed light on what Ledge does that Jem, Akpan or Guthrie can't do I'd be interested.

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 31 Mar 2013 14:00

Irvinchangeyaname

3. Bill Oddie chants led by the Bill Oddie Fan Club :lol:

Fair point. Good effort with the banner.

134 posts