Lack of Leadership

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Lack of Leadership

by M Brook » 06 Apr 2013 16:47

McDermott's biggest mistake was to make McAnuff captain. He's not had the best of seasons as a player but as the leader on the pitch, he's been virtually non existent. Today, last week, the week before, every week, we've lacked someone setting an example, a leader, a Martin Hicks, an Adie Williams, a Parky.

New captain next season - Mariappa?

friday fan

Re: Lack of Leadership

by friday fan » 06 Apr 2013 16:49

M Brook McDermott's biggest mistake was to make McAnuff captain. He's not had the best of seasons as a player but as the leader on the pitch, he's been virtually non existent. Today, last week, the week before, every week, we've lacked someone setting an example, a leader, a Martin Hicks, an Adie Williams, a Parky.

SPOT ON

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 06 Apr 2013 16:52

Heard someone shout "Where's the captain?" or "Who's the captain?" mid second half. Was spot on.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 07 Apr 2013 09:42

We've not had a leader who would rouse the team when heads have dropped as, all too often it's McAnuff's head that's dropped first.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Apr 2013 09:47

Oh good this again.

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 07 Apr 2013 09:49

:roll:

Being a consistent positive influence around the dressing room in training every day of the week and on match day, calmly getting the managers message across to fellow players >>>>>>>>>>>shouting and fist pumping 90 minutes a week.

One of only two championship winning captains we have ever had means Jobi is likely doing something right.

Certainly can't accuse him of going missing yesterday.

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 07 Apr 2013 10:07

The Beardy Man :roll:

Being a consistent positive influence around the dressing room in training every day of the week and on match day, calmly getting the managers message across to fellow players >>>>>>>>>>>shouting and fist pumping 90 minutes a week.

One of only two championship winning captains we have ever had means Jobi is likely doing something right.

No never went missing just kept giving the ball away

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 07 Apr 2013 10:09

We have players like Jobi that can provide leadership.

We don't have any outfield players like Parky with any real strength,power or stamina for 90 minutes [for this division] except Jason Roberts whose playing career is as good as dead.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 07 Apr 2013 10:09

Should have got PDC in as manager

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 07 Apr 2013 10:32

Since when do you have to have an armband to be able to rally the troops? Harte, Leigertwood, Pogrebnyak and Kelly are all experienced pro's. It shouldnt all fall on McAnuff.
Do you think that when Terry is captain at Chelsea Lampard keeps quiet? Same for Gerrard and Carragher at Liverpool and Scholes, Giggs and Ferdinand at United. Everyone needs to pull together and pick eachother up. FWIW I think thats exactly what Guthrie tried to do yesterday up until we fell back into old habits.

Also I think being on the wing it is extremely difficult to get in the thick of it, its no surprise to me that when Jobi gets moved into the middle for the last 20 minutes of games the intensity picks up and we start to make things happen.

Mr.T10

by Mr.T10 » 07 Apr 2013 10:38

I always hear McAnuff shouldn't be captain but what exactly are people looking for him to do? You only see on average 90 minutes a week of him being captain.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 Apr 2013 11:11

joeroyal
The Beardy Man :roll:

No never went missing just kept giving the ball away

Won the ball far more than he gave it away. More importantly he was winning the ball in areas where Saints were threatening to hurt us and losing it where they couldn't.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Apr 2013 12:39

Thought this was going to be a thread about AZ not being at the game. You sack a manager, you appoint a new one, it's his first home game in charge and you don't turn up? Wonder why?

Royals-lad14

by Royals-lad14 » 07 Apr 2013 12:49

He works very hard off the pitch with youngsters and also is a very lively character, he is a top bloke leave the guy alone for fcuk sake.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 07 Apr 2013 12:55

Its not just McAnuff the whole team collectively lacks bite. We're too 'nice' and too softy softy

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 07 Apr 2013 13:48

M Brook McDermott's biggest mistake was to make McAnuff captain. He's not had the best of seasons as a player but as the leader on the pitch, he's been virtually non existent. Today, last week, the week before, every week, we've lacked someone setting an example, a leader, a Martin Hicks, an Adie Williams, a Parky.

I couldn't agree more, and Mariappa would also be my first choice, unless Adkins brings in his own captain. I've been supportive of McAnuff as a player, but he isn't captain material. Yesterday he had a terrible fist few minutes, the fans sighed, and then he went missing. Those are the moments, and the games, when a captain needs to raise his game and those around him. Nigel Adkins wont be afraid of making sweeping changes this summer. I expect a lot of changes come August.

Royal Lady Thought this was going to be a thread about AZ not being at the game. You sack a manager, you appoint a new one, it's his first home game in charge and you don't turn up? Wonder why?

He has said numerous times that he can't be at every game. He rarely misses one though to his credit.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 07 Apr 2013 14:11

I'm fine with Jobi as captain tbh, he's a top bloke and despite lacking in quality this year, and being largely invisible, he always busts a gut for the ball and leads by example. Gorkss or Leigertwood are the natural successors, but I wouldn't argue against Mariappa.

There was a point this season when I wanted Shorey or Roberts as captain, I still think Roberts would make a decent captain.

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 07 Apr 2013 17:16

Royal91 Its not just McAnuff the whole team collectively lacks bite. We're too 'nice' and too softy softy

Spot on mate.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 07 Apr 2013 17:19

He might be a nice guy and great in the changing room but he is the last guy you need as captain when you are fighting for your Premier League lives.
Body language is awful and as soon we get behind its even worse

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Apr 2013 18:35

Previous captains have always been very vocal on the pitch - should have made Pearce captain imo. I think maybe Morrison or someone would be good as captain - need someone at the back who can see what's going on up front and shout orders/encouragement/bollockings as a result.