Care to answer some questions for a LFC forum?

StevenLFC

Care to answer some questions for a LFC forum?

by StevenLFC » 09 Apr 2013 11:28

Hello everyone,

My name is Steven, and I am a member of the Liverpool forum Red & White Kop. On our forum, we have a feature called Spyin' Kop where we get the thoughts of opposition fans and I was hoping you could answer the following questions? Thanks in advance.

1. Sorry to bring it up, but Reading currently sit bottom of the league, 8 points from safety. Is that gap too big to overcome?

2. The Powers that Be at Reading decided to make a change at replace Brian McDermott with Nigel Adkins. What did you think of McDermott's reign,was the change justified and are you happy with the decision to pick Adkins?

3. It has been a difficult season for Reading, but which of your players have impressed you the most, and has anyone not lived up to your expectations?

4. I'd like to get your thoughts on Liverpool before we look ahead to the game itself, if you don't mind. What have your thought of us this season?

5. Brendan Rodgers had a brief spell at your club, what are your thoughts on him? Do you think he can be successful at Liverpool?

6. Which of our payers have impressed your this season?

7. Looking at the game itself, how do you see Reading lining up? To have any realistic chance of survival I'm guessing you have to get three points from the game. Can you see Reading looking to attack Liverpool, and if so, are you confident you can do what AstonVilla couldn't and stop us hitting you on the break?

8. Finally, care to predict the score?

Cheers guys.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Care to answer some questions for a LFC forum?

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Apr 2013 11:29

Hi Steven, welcome to the board.

General B
Hob Nob Regular

by General B » 09 Apr 2013 11:30

Please for the love of God can you go round Anfield Kopite's house and unplug his computer?

Kind Regards,
The Internet.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Apr 2013 11:33

And then strangle him with the cord.

StevenLFC

by StevenLFC » 09 Apr 2013 11:34

General B Please for the love of God can you go round Anfield Kopite's house and unplug his computer?

Kind Regards,
The Internet.

I have no idea who that is, but I'm guessing he's one of many Internet idiots that are around nowadays?

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 09 Apr 2013 11:38

StevenLFC Hello everyone,

My name is Steven, and I am a member of the Liverpool forum Red & White Kop. On our forum, we have a feature called Spyin' Kop where we get the thoughts of opposition fans and I was hoping you could answer the following questions? Thanks in advance.

1. Sorry to bring it up, but Reading currently sit bottom of the league, 8 points from safety. Is that gap too big to overcome?

2. The Powers that Be at Reading decided to make a change at replace Brian McDermott with Nigel Adkins. What did you think of McDermott's reign,was the change justified and are you happy with the decision to pick Adkins?

3. It has been a difficult season for Reading, but which of your players have impressed you the most, and has anyone not lived up to your expectations?

4. I'd like to get your thoughts on Liverpool before we look ahead to the game itself, if you don't mind. What have your thought of us this season?

5. Brendan Rodgers had a brief spell at your club, what are your thoughts on him? Do you think he can be successful at Liverpool?

7. Looking at the game itself, how do you see Reading lining up? To have any realistic chance of survival I'm guessing you have to get three points from the game. Can you see Reading looking to attack Liverpool, and if so, are you confident you can do what AstonVilla couldn't and stop us hitting you on the break?

Cheers guys.

1. Yes
2. Average, no, yes.
3. None, all.
4. Poor to average.
5. No.
6. Suarez
7. No.
8. No.

General B
Hob Nob Regular

by General B » 09 Apr 2013 11:43

StevenLFC
General B Please for the love of God can you go round Anfield Kopite's house and unplug his computer?

Kind Regards,
The Internet.

I have no idea who that is, but I'm guessing he's one of many Internet idiots that are around nowadays?

I'm pretty sure he a Berkshire based webmong pretending to be a Liverpool fan for reasons unknown. However, on the slim chance he is actually a scouser, I think we'd all appreciate it if you could somehow ensure that the internet is turned off in the Aintree area for a couple of weeks.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 09 Apr 2013 11:47

Yes

McDermott was the heart and soul of the club and the difference between us and the rest of the Championship strugglers. The decision to pick Adkins was OK - better than Poyet or DiCanio

McAnuff has been good from day one and Robson-Kanu has improved. Mariappa and Pearce have had good spells. Federici has had a nightmare, and loads of our players have been injured (Kebe) or just not suited to the club (Guthrie and Pogrebnyak)

You've looked good this year, much better than last year. Rodgers has got loads of players playing well, and the football seems good to watch again.

He was shit at Reading. If given time, he can be successful for Liverpool and the English game - we do so need to learn to pass the ball again.

Gerrard looked completely out of it last year, but has played well. The shitty expensive ones have impressed me lots - Henderson and Downing.

We'll try to pass for half an hour but look more and more like a rabble.

36-0

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 09 Apr 2013 11:49

1. Sorry to bring it up, but Reading currently sit bottom of the league, 8 points from safety. Is that gap too big to overcome? Yep

2. The Powers that Be at Reading decided to make a change at replace Brian McDermott with Nigel Adkins. What did you think of McDermott's reign,was the change justified and are you happy with the decision to pick Adkins? Peculiar to sack a manager proven in the Championship with the one he bested last term, but Adkins was, IMO, the best candidate that we could realistically have tempted to the club. It obviously came too late to have any real chance of making a difference in the short term. Adkins will need to win promotion and secure Premiership survival to conclusively show that it was the right decision in the long-term.

3. It has been a difficult season for Reading, but which of your players have impressed you the most, and has anyone not lived up to your expectations? I suppose Le Fondre has impressed occasionally. Few players have sustained decent enough performances for more than a couple of games at a time. Clearly our summer signings Pogrebnyak, Guthrie and Gunter arrived amid some expectation and have failed to deliver - though they're not bad players per se and they've probably been dragged down by the rabble around them.

4. I'd like to get your thoughts on Liverpool before we look ahead to the game itself, if you don't mind. What have your thought of us this season? A bit of a circus, and overly dependent on the objectionable Suarez. Rodgers seems to have made real progress though, and I would imagine you'll finish around 5th next season.

5. Brendan Rodgers had a brief spell at your club, what are your thoughts on him? Do you think he can be successful at Liverpool? Things seem to be going in the right direction, so who knows, maybe he will ultimately be successful. As far as turning Liverpool back in to a side that regularly gets into the Champions League, I wouldn't have thought the financial backing would be enough to make that feasible. Obviously he comes across as a bit of a bufoon, but he's proven beyond doubt that he has some talent as a manager. He mismanaged us during his time here, with disasterous results.

6. Which of our payers have impressed your this season? Suarez is better than I thought he was

7. Looking at the game itself, how do you see Reading lining up? To have any realistic chance of survival I'm guessing you have to get three points from the game. Can you see Reading looking to attack Liverpool, and if so, are you confident you can do what AstonVilla couldn't and stop us hitting you on the break? We'll attack you for 20 mins, fail to score, subside, concede, lose.

8. Finally, care to predict the score? Reading 1-2 Liverpool

Cheers guys.

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 09 Apr 2013 11:50

Yes, but we've always been one of the relegation candidates so it's no real surprise to see us where we are, although we would have hoped to have been closer to the safety line at this stage of the season.

Last season we had a upper midtable Championship side that over achieved, for most of this season we have looked like that Championship side, but the higher quality of teams and managers in the Prem have sussed us out more than in the Champo. Brian's reign was unquestionable really up until this season, given the level of achievement during his time here. Adkins has done a fantastic job with a similar club in Southampton and would seem to be the most natural fit than any of the other managers available. He was the guy myself, and probably most RFC fans would have wanted.

Difficult to say who has impressed really, Adam Le Fondre grabbed a lot of headlines for his last gasp goals to win us points in January. Mikele Leigertwood would be the player to have disappointed most in not making the step up from last year. In terms of the new signings, Pavel Pogrebnyak hasn't been the force we hoped he would be, but a lot of that has been down to the service he has received.

A constant state of transition, ideas of looking at the top 2/3/4 are outlandish, and trying to repair the damage of the last couple of seasons, whilst actually working out where your position is in the pecking order these days. I don't mean that critically, but you're not a top 3/4 club any more, a Europa league side is about your current standing, even though your history suggests otherwise

It'll be interesting to see how could BR can do with a complete rebuilding job as he has with Liverpool. At Swansea, much of what he had was inherited, albeit he added well to it. With Reading he tried to change too much, too quickly, and without the right players to do what he wanted. Some of his quotes are ridiculous.

Despite the sh1tstorm that goes with him, Suarez is quality

We have a very slow defence, anyone with any pace will tear holes in us. We'll try and keep it tight, and unlike Southampton take one of our few chances we do create and hope it's enough.

0-2
Suarez (2)

Cheers guys.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Apr 2013 11:58

Yes. I think most fans have accepted that we're down since we lost to Wigan.

McDermott was brilliant for two and a half years. He rebuilt us after Rodgers, he got us to a playoff final, and he got us promoted. Unfortunately, he made a lot of mistakes in the Premier League, mostly team selection but also tactical- the number of points we dropped from winning positions before Christmas is staggering. I would have liked us to stick with him even though he wasn't doing well just because he has achieved so much. Given that we sacked him, Adkins is probably the best external appointment we could have made.

Adrian Mariappa and Jobi McAnuff have been consistent performers. We've also seen good performances from Alex McCarthy, Alex Pearce, Jimmy Kebe and Adam Le Fondre, but for various reasons (injuries, tactics, McDermott) they haven't played as regularly as we'd like. I've been disappointed by Kaspars Gorkss, Shaun Cummings and Chris Gunter, none of whom have remotely made the step up. Danny Guthrie also hasn't performed as well as I'd hoped after seeing him in pre-season.

You've wasted a lot of money without making much progress for the second season in a row. However, I have a feeling that you're about to turn the corner.

Rodgers was utterly terrible for us. I think he's learned from his plethora of mistakes though. I'm not sure he's really Liverpool quality but I think he could probably get you challenging for the Champions League again, with time.

Obviously Suarez. I've also been impressed with Glen Johnson, and Steven Gerrard has rediscovered his best form. I think Coutinho and Sturridge are good signings.

Federici/McCarthy; Gunter, Morrison, Mariappa, Kelly; Robson-Kanu, Leigertwood, Guthrie, Karacan, McAnuff; Le Fondre

We're not trying to stay up, as evidenced by us not playing anyone who is out of contract (Pearce, Shorey, Harte) or that we're looking to sell (Pogrebnyak). We'll probably approach you sensibly.

We concede most of our goals on the counter attack.

You'll win 3-0. Though I hope we win 3-0.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 09 Apr 2013 12:10

Err yes - we were relegated a few weeks back when we lost to Wigan and Villa

McDermott was good with people but not so much with tactics - the season he was appointed we could only get better, he installed that confidence in to the players and played to their strengths (ie not the short passing style Rodgers tried getting us playing). Then the season we got to the play-off final the team picked itself as we kept winning after Christmas, the same again last season. This season, the step up was too much and he didn't know what to do to change things. Adkins, too early to judge but it seems he likes a high tempo attacking style - again we don't have the players for that yet, so its a building process.

Hal Robson-Kanu i think has come on these past few months - as has Mariappa. Pogrebnyak is a very good player but not for us - our game doesn't suit him.

tbh i think you would be lost without Suarez - you just don't have anyone else to score the goals when he isn't on form.

I think Liverpool is a great club for him and his style of play - you see how he got Swansea playing and he likes the triangles which i always remember Liverpool for in the 80's

Suarez, obviously - although i do like that new bloke you've got - Coutinho

7. Looking at the game itself, how do you see Reading lining up? To have any realistic chance of survival I'm guessing you have to get three points from the game. Can you see Reading looking to attack Liverpool, and if so, are you confident you can do what Aston Villa couldn't and stop us hitting you on the break?

We will play attacking but as said we don't have the players to hurt you - so i can see you easily soaking it up and then hitting us when we're out of position

0-3

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 09 Apr 2013 12:34

LOL @ Gerrard impressing. :lol:

Royals-lad14

by Royals-lad14 » 09 Apr 2013 12:41

Hello everyone,

Yes
Some of McDermotts tactical decisions let him down this season, last season was a bit of a fluke to be honest. Happy with Adkins plays some decent football.
Mariappa and McAnuff have been most consistent performers, however Le Fondre has grabbed the headlines for his 'super sub' role. Hal Robson-Kanu is definitely our most improved player.
Much better than last season, give it a few years you will be back in top 4 if you keep suarez
Utter rubbish at Reading, his system did not suit our players. Personally think he could be a success but only given time
Suarez, top class player
We will try to attack you but we wont have enough quality and can see you winning comfortably.

Reading 0-3 Liverpool suarez(2) gerrard pen

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 09 Apr 2013 12:44

1. Yes

2. Brian did a fantastic job here and will never be forgotten, however he just couldn't get to grips with the premier league. I think Adkins is a great appointment and within the next couple of years we will be back up and playing attractive football.

3. Possibly Mariappa, didn't feature much at the start of the season but bar the last 2-3 matches he has been brilliant.

4. Played some decent football under Rogers, but it will take a long time and a lot of investment before you can dream about challenging for the title.

5. Played nice football with us but didn't get the results. Not too sure whether he can take you much further in terms of Europe and premier league title, but time will tell.

6. Suarez and sterling in the first 10 matches

7. Not really sure what we will do, probably 5 in midfield 1 up top. For some reason we always seem to do well against you but I think this year you may be too strong for our current squad.

8. 1-3

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 09 Apr 2013 14:20

Yes - we will be lucky to get another win this season.

I have conflicting opinions about McDermott. On one hand I disagreed with most of his choices as manager, from signings to team selection to tactics. However you can't deny his record and the way he went about building an actual team rather than a collection of players. Many fans, included myself, loved Brian fro the the way he conducted himself and his commitment to the team. At the very least he deserved the opportunity to see out the season, just out of basic respect to him. For me the season was over the day he left. Adkins was the best possible replacement (realistically).

Hal Robson Kanu has played well in some games but disappeared from others. Mariappa has steadily improved and I thought that Pog, despite his lack of goals, worked hard in many games. McAnuff as club captain has had a lot of attention and unfortunately he hasn't been good enough. Jay Tabb was absolutely awful whilst he was here - regardless of how much he ran he is not a championship standard player, let alone Premiership.

I haven't watched Liverpool that much this season, but it appears that you still have too many poor players for a 'top' team. When Lucas is your best central midfielder you know you're in trouble. Also you should have 'retired' Jamie Carragher about 5 seasons ago. Some of your youngsters look promising but without a core of quality to play around they are going to struggle.

I wasn't really following Reading at that time - went to a few games but not enough to have an opinion. The league position when he left spoke for itself though.

Suárez obviously. Just pure class. Also I've always like Glen Johnson and have thought that if he could only improve his shooting by 10-20% he would be an assume goal scoring full bac
k.

Adkins is a defensive style manager, so i'm fully expecting that same 4-5-1 line up as one saturday - though maybe with pog upfront rather than Le Fondre.

2-4 Liverpool.

Cheers guys.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 09 Apr 2013 14:34

Yes, and we've known for a while. Our inability to beat or even draw against those around us has cost us.

His reign was among the most successful ever at this club. He's one of us and we love him. Didn't agree with the sacking but I understand the reasons and am fully supportive of his replacement who has been chosen long-term.

3. It has been a difficult season for Reading, but which of your players have impressed you the most, and has anyone not lived up to your expectations
No one has been consistently good, but Mariappa, Tabb (out on loan), Kebe (injured), McCarthy (often injured) and on occasion Guthrie have all been decent. Our captain McAnuff has had a difficult season, as have Leigertwood and Karacan in midfield.

Liverpool are a very easy team to dislike, especially with David Brent as manager, but you have been far more impressive than last year and from what I can gather you've been unlucky in certain games this year.

Simply wasn't the right fit here. Tried to knock the ball around the back with players that just weren't up to it. He also came across as a bit of a nob in his interviews, but since then he has done reasonably well with Martinez' Swansea team and if you stick with him then he can do a good job with you if your expectations aren't too high.

The much maligned Stewart Downing has been excellent in the games I've seen. Like a good James Milner. Coutinho and Sturridge were good signings

We'll be 4-5-1 and will struggle to string two passes together. The lone striker will be hopelessly isolated and we'll launch long balls to players who can't hold it up. But we'll give it our all and we always seem to raise our game for the big team.

1-3, with a late consolation from Hal Robson-Kanu.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 09 Apr 2013 14:37

Elm Park Kid
StevenLFC Hal Robson Kanu has played well in some games but disappeared from others. Mariappa has steadily improved and I thought that Pog, despite his lack of goals, worked hard in many games. McAnuff as club captain has had a lot of attention and unfortunately he hasn't been good enough. Jay Tabb was absolutely awful whilst he was here - regardless of how much he ran he is not a championship standard player, let alone Premiership.

Many on here will argue with that, he was one of our best in the first half of the season.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 09 Apr 2013 14:41

StevenLFC

Kind Regards,
The Internet.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=118456&start=700

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 09 Apr 2013 15:02

Yep. I'm not sure exactly when the final nail occurred. I still felt if we could have beaten Southampton we might have had a slight chance. But there's no way back now. We'll probably finish bottom.

McDermott was brilliant for his first 2 and a half years. Represented our club brilliantly and took the players further than they had a right to go - he's my favourite ever Reading manager. I still can't quite make my mind up on his sacking. It's been an awful season with everyone pretty much out of their depth for a lot of it. But in the long-term I think McDermott will get another crack at the Premier League with someone. I think we need to change our style of play and whether McDermott could do that I don't know. Given we needed a new manager, I think Adkins was a great appointment and I'm looking forward to seeing how we progress under him in the long-term.

Robson-Kanu has been our most improved player in my opinion - fair play to the guy. Shorey was excellent at periods in the first half of the season which slightly surprised me. Le Fondre has scored some good goals and Mariappa looks a good long-term signing - but most of our signings didn't sufficiently improve the squad. That's been the biggest disappointment really, coupled with a few of our better players last year (Gorkks/Federici/Roberts) struggling to immediately reach the same performance level for whatever reason.
Think you've done pretty well recently. At times you seemed a little lightweight before Christmas but I think signing Sturridge and Coutinho have given you that extra attacking edge and made you less reliant on Suarez. I think if you can keep hold of your best players this summer and add a few you'll have a very good season next year.
Really wasn't a fan of him to be honest. It was always going to be difficult replacing Coppell - 2009 is the worst year as a Reading supporter that I can remember really in recent times. (Though 2013 could yet go close!) Tried to get our players to play a system they weren't really suited to and didn't show enough pragmatism (which Adkins has already demonstrated.) Plus he just didn't really come across well in the media - I found it hard to warm to the guy. But you can't fault his achievements with Swansea and Liverpool - I think he'll do well for you, although don't know if he'll take you to the very top level.
Suarez, top class player - Think Coutinho and Sturridge were good signings, and Sterling impressed me early on though seems to have faded a bit recently.
It's difficult to predict the team even as a Reading fan, as Adkins has changed it around so far! I think he'll go something like Federici, Gunter, Shorey, Morrisson, Mariappa, Robson-Kanu, McAnuff, Leigertwood, Akpan, Guthrie, Pogrebnyak - even if we do win I think we're down. We'll probably try to continue increasing our possession of the ball and if you try and pass it round at the back attempting to press you higher up the pitch.
Reasonably close but ultimately a win for Liverpool. 2-1 to you.