What about crap games you're proud you went to

124 posts
URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

Re: What about crap games you're proud you went to

by URZZ » 11 Jun 2013 19:36

The 1997/98 season was my very first; and my first couple of games were Swindon & Port Vale at Elm Park. Don't really remember too much of them other than the times my dad hoisted me on his shoulders - but as far as my memory serves me, the Port Vale 0-3 defeat was bloody awful.

In more recent days; the worst I've seen at the Madejski has got to be the loss of 0-3 to soon-after releg8ed Wimbledon in the beginning of Coppell's reign. Seem to remember a certain Jobi McAnuff having 3 attempts in a row, after 2 consecutive blocks, his 3rd flew in. It poured down with rain - making it all the more a cliché. I also believe it was their only away victory all season! Terrible.

Here we are - just dug this off the BBC website; http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 331417.stm

Reading's slump continued as they fell to a third successive league defeat at the hands of bottom club Wimbledon.
Last edited by URZZ on 11 Jun 2013 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 11 Jun 2013 19:46

Alexander Litvinenko FA Cup replay away at Halifax - a Tuesday night in November 1999 with the rain lashing down horizontally in the wind.

Was that the game where the 'bench' was made up of plastic chairs? They were being blown all over the place, which was the best part of a dismal game.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 11 Jun 2013 20:01

Clyde1998 Reading 0-4 Arsenal - 2006-07

Just how was that crap?

That was the most sublime (first half) performance ever gracing the MadStad turf. Said to my mate at half time (0-3) I would happily settle now for 0-6. Their first goal was after, what, 90 seconds and 21 consecutive passes? (or something like that)

Thankfully Wenger made a couple of early second half subs if memory serves and they took their foot off the gas. It wasn't that we were bad, they were just so good.

Total football and respect.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 11 Jun 2013 20:04

Oldham Athletic away at Boundary Park on that plastic pitch in 1987. We got trounced 4-0 and it was feckin freezing (as it often is there). Joe Royle did turn them into a decent side though and a defeat was no real surprise.

Same day as the Ferry capsized in Zeebrugge Harbour.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 11 Jun 2013 20:05

grey_squirrel
Clyde1998 Reading 0-4 Arsenal - 2006-07

Just how was that crap?

That was the most sublime (first half) performance ever gracing the MadStad turf. Said to my mate at half time (0-3) I would happily settle now for 0-6. Their first goal was after, what, 90 seconds and 21 consecutive passes? (or something like that)

Thankfully Wenger made a couple of early second half subs if memory serves and they took their foot off the gas. It wasn't that we were bad, they were just so good.

Total football and respect.

+1

I have never ever seen such fluent attacking football. Even all the internationals I've been to, no team touched that Arsenal side on passing, attacking play as they did that day. A game I'll never forget and as you said, total respect.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 11 Jun 2013 20:21

Royalclapper Oldham Athletic away at Boundary Park on that plastic pitch in 1987. We got trounced 4-0 and it was feckin freezing (as it often is there). Joe Royle did turn them into a decent side though and a defeat was no real surprise.

Remember that well. Horizontal sleet directly into the faces of the few travelling Royals. No trains home that evening. Got the 4am train out of Manchester with a load of Orient fans. That was a good journey.

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 11 Jun 2013 20:29

Reading 0. Port Vale 3

Taxi for Bullivant. You're getting sacked in the morning. Most fun I've had when we were crap ever.
Last edited by notloyalenuffroyal on 11 Jun 2013 23:26, edited 2 times in total.

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 11 Jun 2013 20:32

Royalclapper

Almost another thread isn't "Games that you were at on famous dates". League cup v West Ham was 9.11. How that game went ahead that day I'll never know! Was that the "Shaka loves us more than you" game?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Jun 2013 20:34

URZZ In more recent days; the worst I've seen at the Madejski has got to be the loss of 0-3 to soon-after releg8ed Wimbledon in the beginning of Coppell's reign. Seem to remember a certain Jobi McAnuff having 3 attempts in a row, after 2 consecutive blocks, his 3rd flew in. It poured down with rain - making it all the more a cliché. I also believe it was their only away victory all season! Terrible.

Here we are - just dug this off the BBC website; http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 331417.stm

Reading's slump continued as they fell to a third successive league defeat at the hands of bottom club Wimbledon.

I have to say that was probably the worst performance i've seen from a Reading side in a decade, right up until Wigan this season.

I sat there in the East Stand actually LOLing at how shit we were. At one point they hit a long ball that dropped on Ingimarsson. He just about managed to control it with his chest before inexplicably booting it straight into the stand without a play anywhere near him. It was like he'd just seen a football for the first time.

Third goal annoyed me though as RFC fans were cheering all Wimbledon's passes and celebrated when McAnuff scored. Divs.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Jun 2013 20:36

notloyalenuffroyal League cup v West Ham was 9.11. How that game went ahead that day I'll never know!

Probably because the attacks were a 7 hour flight away and West Ham weren't coming to the game from Newark.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Jun 2013 20:49

Maguire Third goal annoyed me though as RFC fans were cheering all Wimbledon's passes and celebrated when McAnuff scored. Divs.

Probably the last time many of our spaz fans actually cheered McAnuff.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 11 Jun 2013 21:33

Burnley 1-0 Reading
Cardiff 0-0 Reading
Portsmouth 1-1 Reading
Coventry 0-0 Reading
Reading 0-2 Watford
Reading 0-3 Wigan
Everton 3-1 Reading

Probably not as bad as anyone else's, but still!

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 11 Jun 2013 21:40

Maguire
URZZ In more recent days; the worst I've seen at the Madejski has got to be the loss of 0-3 to soon-after releg8ed Wimbledon in the beginning of Coppell's reign. Seem to remember a certain Jobi McAnuff having 3 attempts in a row, after 2 consecutive blocks, his 3rd flew in. It poured down with rain - making it all the more a cliché. I also believe it was their only away victory all season! Terrible.

I have to say that was probably the worst performance i've seen from a Reading side in a decade, right up until Wigan this season.

I sat there in the East Stand actually LOLing at how shit we were. At one point they hit a long ball that dropped on Ingimarsson. He just about managed to control it with his chest before inexplicably booting it straight into the stand without a play anywhere near him. It was like he'd just seen a football for the first time.

Third goal annoyed me though as RFC fans were cheering all Wimbledon's passes and celebrated when McAnuff scored. Divs.

That was one of the first Reading games I ever went to, I remember going home really happy that the scoreline was so close.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 11 Jun 2013 21:41

Chester away in 89. Drove from Brackers to Leeds to do a system installation, then rushed from Leeds to Macclesfield (Chester were playing at Moss Rose then) just in time for kick-off. In the pissing rain, I then watched Reading lose an abject game 1-0 with 630 other retards and then after that singularly miserable experience, drove to my hotel in Preston for another installation the following day. Brilliant!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 11 Jun 2013 22:08

Altrincham 0 Reading 1 - friendly
To my knowledge there were 6 of us - 4 in my car (obviously including me) plus Will & Ginge

Worst game I ever attended was Hereford 0 Stockport 0 when there were NO shots on goal in the entire 90 minutes.
Same game also includes one of my sequence highlights - a game of head tennis counting more than a dozen in a row - now that's real quality

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 11 Jun 2013 22:18

notloyalenuffroyal Port Vale 0 Reading 3.

Taxi for Bullivant. You're getting sacked in the morning. Most fun I've had when we were crap ever.

How was a 3-0 away win crap?

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 11 Jun 2013 22:20

A lot of the ones I want to mention have already been mentioned, but....

That Auto Windscreens home game v Leyton Orient in 1999, in front of about 1,500. We may have won 1-0 but it was pissing down and freezing.....plus the football was terrible!

Or a year later in 2000 when we lost 0-2 them at home in the Worthington Cup.

The 1-6 Palace thumping.....

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 11 Jun 2013 22:41

1985/86, the 13 wins in a row season. Sailing along towards the Division 3 title went to Waslsall at the beginning of February. Average first half left us at 0-0 at half time. Second half disaster resulted in a 6-0 defeat. To this day no idea what happened

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 11 Jun 2013 23:24

ankeny
notloyalenuffroyal Reading 0 Port Vale 3

How was a 3-0 away win crap?

Oops. Edited. It's been a long week.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 11 Jun 2013 23:27

Reading 1, Leicester 3

About 10 years ago..............?

Proud? Probably not..

124 posts