Opposition fans back from the game

4486 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by genome » 28 Oct 2020 19:22

Surely outperforming xG just means you're a quality side. Your strikers are clinical, your defence is solid.

And why is no-one making the argument that the side can also go the other way and improve their xG stat?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Oct 2020 19:34

Olise getting plenty of praise on the Blackburn forum. how much longer is his contract?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 28 Oct 2020 19:45

genome Surely outperforming xG just means you're a quality side. Your strikers are clinical, your defence is solid.

And why is no-one making the argument that the side can also go the other way and improve their xG stat?

Because the type of sides/players that can consistently outperform their xG tend to be world class.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Oct 2020 19:49

windermereROYAL Olise getting plenty of praise on the Blackburn forum. how much longer is his contract?

Summer '22 I think.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Oct 2020 20:14

Stranded
windermereROYAL Olise getting plenty of praise on the Blackburn forum. how much longer is his contract?

Summer '22 I think.

Looks like the big clubs might come sniffing around next summer, with only a year to go you would think we need to tie him down to a new contract or cash in, and he won`t come cheap.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Oct 2020 20:18

Back in the day Liverpool were great at tight defence and winning 0-1, as were Revie's Leeds
and Arsenal did it so often they had a chance one-nil to the Arsenal

Pretty sure all three teams would have been low-rated on xG

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 28 Oct 2020 20:32

windermereROYAL
Stranded

Summer '22 I think.

Looks like the big clubs might come sniffing around next summer, with only a year to go you would think we need to tie him down to a new contract or cash in, and he won`t come cheap.

Newcastle have been sniffing around him and Liam Moore according to the local rag.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2020 20:36

TiagoIlori
genome Surely outperforming xG just means you're a quality side. Your strikers are clinical, your defence is solid.

Because the type of sides/players that can consistently outperform their xG tend to be world class.

Good news for us seeing as we've consistently done it over at least one season in recent years.

World class. I like that.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Oct 2020 20:37

Snowball Back in the day Liverpool were great at tight defence and winning 0-1, as were Revie's Leeds
and Arsenal did it so often they had a chance one-nil to the Arsenal

Pretty sure all three teams would have been low-rated on xG

What is the purpose of xG? It doesn't show or mean anything

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Oct 2020 21:00

TiagoIlori You can’t just dismiss a stat because you don’t like what it’s saying, it’s been proven to be fairly accurate in reflecting how the team is doing in terms of chances. As long as you understand what it shows and it’s limitations then you can use that stat the way it’s supposed to be used.

You obviously can’t judge a team completely based on that stat alone.

I'm not disagreeing, I don't like it but that is less about the stat itself and more about it being used far too often as the golden stat that explains all. Its part of the argument, not the whole argument and, like most stats, in isolation and without context, is pretty meaningless. Its the VAR of stats, avsolutely fine if kept out of the hands of idiots.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 28 Oct 2020 21:08

After reading the Forest forum pretty glad we f*cked them over last season.....laughing even more now they are losing at Luton. So up their own arses at that club. Love to see them and Derby go down.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 28 Oct 2020 21:10

From Despair To Where?
TiagoIlori You can’t just dismiss a stat because you don’t like what it’s saying, it’s been proven to be fairly accurate in reflecting how the team is doing in terms of chances. As long as you understand what it shows and it’s limitations then you can use that stat the way it’s supposed to be used.

You obviously can’t judge a team completely based on that stat alone.

I'm not disagreeing, I don't like it but that is less about the stat itself and more about it being used far too often as the golden stat that explains all. Its part of the argument, not the whole argument and, like most stats, in isolation and without context, is pretty meaningless. Its the VAR of stats, avsolutely fine if kept out of the hands of idiots.

I wasn’t aiming it at you as you seemed to have a reasonable opinion on xG, I do agree with what you’re saying though. You’ve got to understand it’s limitations and what it’s meant to be used for before you apply it to anything

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 28 Oct 2020 21:11

Ascotexgunner After reading the Forest forum pretty glad we f*cked them over last season.....laughing even more now they are losing at Luton. So up their own arses at that club. Love to see them and Derby go down.

Yes there self entitlement is up there with the very best of them. oxf*rd em. And derby going down too would just be :shock: can’t see that happening. Forrest on the other hand....

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Oct 2020 21:17

It'll be interesting to see our xG when we go behind. I'd guess that teams who chase games or are invited onto their opponents are likely to have a higher xG. On the whole we've stayed patient in games and when we've grabbed leads we haven't exactly felt the need to go gung-ho. That's the nuance that xG completely misses.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 28 Oct 2020 21:19

genome Surgical insight over on the Swansea forum

Are they genuine contenders, or will they blow up.

Thoughts?

Who knows

LOL

Anyway, what does the E stand for in EFL?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 28 Oct 2020 21:21

SouthDownsRoyal

Are they genuine contenders, or will they blow up.

Thoughts?

Who knows

LOL

Ejarias’ ?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 28 Oct 2020 21:22

From Despair To Where?
muirinho
Pepe the Horseman Ya man Gabriel Sutton is a perfect example of this. He was saying after the first few games that despite the results Reading's performances weren't impressing him. Someone questioned whether he'd actually watched the games, and he admitted he hadn't :|

Good grief, how would you even have the confidence to open your mouth..... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I have absolutey no idea who Gabriel Sutton is or whether his opinion matters but a brief Google search suggests he's a bedwetting nonce magnet.

:mrgreen:

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 28 Oct 2020 21:31

WoodleyRoyal
SouthDownsRoyal

LOL

Ejarias’ ?

No

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Oct 2020 21:41

If the description given on the Tilehurst End of Xg is accurate it isn’t a stat. It’s a subjective opinion wrapped up in smoke and mirrors to make it look meaningful.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Oct 2020 21:41

Would be interesting if Derby went down, I don't think they've been in the third tier in my lifetime.

4486 posts