Opposition fans back from the game

4464 posts
JedMaxwell

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by JedMaxwell » 07 Sep 2022 14:13

Nameless
JedMaxwell Bit late but a Stoke supporting colleague who went to the game said we were a shit long ball team and will get relegated this season. Hard to reason with someone like that but I made the point that I think we mix it up pretty well and there's a difference between a long pass and a long ball, and that for all their talented midfielders they didn't create a huge amount and only scored from a set piece.

I also pointed out that if we're shit they must be absolutely dire because they couldn't break us down and we saw the game out pretty comfortably in the end.

If only they had a keeper who could play the long ball as effectively as our’s !

Exactly.

Continually hoofing it up front to then play off the scraps and percentages is certainly long ball in my book.

We seem to have the balance right between playing it short when we can progress the ball through the lines, and knocking it long if we can create something. Also at the breakdown/turnover of the ball, we almost always go back and start from the back, invariably then trying to play through the lines when we're set.

We can also go a bit longer when the opponents aren't great defensively or a bit disorganised, as per Saturday.

Of course a long hoof to relieve pressure and allow you to get up the pitch and press, or when you're a goal up towards the end, is just sensible.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Sep 2022 14:17

When we play it short now it's much more positive. Hutchinson moves forward with the ball and passes forward

Thank God we have moved away from that awful sideways passing

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Sep 2022 18:34

Zip When we play it short now it's much more positive. Hutchinson moves forward with the ball and passes forward

Thank God we have moved away from that awful sideways passing

Holmes in particular has been sliding some delightful balls into midfield from defence rather than pissing about with it.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Sep 2022 20:42

JedMaxwell Bit late but a Stoke supporting colleague who went to the game said we were a shit long ball team and will get relegated this season. Hard to reason with someone like that but I made the point that I think we mix it up pretty well and there's a difference between a long pass and a long ball, and that for all their talented midfielders they didn't create a huge amount and only scored from a set piece.

I also pointed out that if we're shit they must be absolutely dire because they couldn't break us down and we saw the game out pretty comfortably in the end.

To be fair as a Stoke fan he’s an expert on shit long ball teams.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Sep 2022 20:51

SCIAG

To be fair as a Stoke fan he’s an expert on shit long ball teams.

Stoke haven”t always been a long ball team.
For several seasons they were a long throw team.
Possibly the most non footballing side ever....

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Sep 2022 20:54

…..and as for anybody giving a flying oxf*rd about what a Stoke fan thinks about any other team, let alone, ours…is truly something that needs passing over to the ‘Leon department’

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Sep 2022 21:06

I reckon the last time Stoke were an exciting ream to watch, Stanley Matthews was still playing. I always regarded them as the epitome of dour northern shite, so Ive done a bit of digging. A far from scientific measure but since 1970 (the season before I was born), they've only scored 60 or more goals in a season 12 times. (We've achieved it 24 times), 70 or more twice (we've done it 10 times) and failed to average a goal a game 13 times. (Once for us, 97/98).

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 07 Sep 2022 22:50

AthleticoSpizz …..and as for anybody giving a flying oxf*rd about what a Stoke fan thinks about any other team, let alone, ours…is truly something that needs passing over to the ‘Leon department’

In fairness though, this thread is for opinions from opposition fans, is it not?

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 08 Sep 2022 05:58

muirinho
AthleticoSpizz …..and as for anybody giving a flying oxf*rd about what a Stoke fan thinks about any other team, let alone, ours…is truly something that needs passing over to the ‘Leon department’

In fairness though, this thread is for opinions from opposition fans, is it not?

No, different opinions will not be tolerated on this board!

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Sep 2022 07:53

I think fans of other teams and possibly some of their players too see us as a 6 point banker this season and when they lose to us it must be because they’ve played so badly.

Long may it continue and compared to the dross of the last few years I am loving this season. No doubt there’ll will be a fair few low points but seeing the players giving everything is inspiring.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Sep 2022 08:53

I’m going to sit back and enjoy the ride
Probably going to be a rollercoaster and it would be delicious if we were the first team to make the playoffs with a negative goal difference (haven’t checked that BTW)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Sep 2022 08:54

Franchise FC I’m going to sit back and enjoy the ride
Probably going to be a rollercoaster and it would be delicious if we were the first team to make the playoffs with a negative goal difference (haven’t checked that BTW)

Didn’t hudders manage that the year they went up (beating us who had a +0 GD) iirc

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Sep 2022 08:55

Hound

Didn’t hudders manage that the year they went up (beating us who had a +0 GD) iirc

Damn !!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Sep 2022 09:19

Hound

2016-17, Huddersfield finished in 5th with a -2 goal difference. Reading were 3rd, 4 points better off (85) with a +4 goal difference.

Next, anyone ever been relegated with a positive goal difference?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Sep 2022 09:26

Sutekh
Hound

2016-17, Huddersfield finished in 5th with a -2 goal difference. Reading were 3rd, 4 points better off (85) with a +4 goal difference.

Next, anyone ever been relegated with a positive goal difference?

Sheffield Utd in 1981 relegated to Division 4 with a +2 goal difference. (65-63). They missed a penalty in the 89th minute of the final game which would have kept them up.

Trumping that though is,Man City in 1937/38 getting relegated the year after winning the title with a +3 goal difference. 80 - 77. They had 2 7-1 and 1 6-1 wins.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Sep 2022 09:46

muirinho

you would think, but.....

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Sep 2022 10:26

From Despair To Where? I reckon the last time Stoke were an exciting ream to watch, Stanley Matthews was still playing.

To be fair I thought they played some good stuff under Mark Hughes thanks to the likes of Shaqiri, Arnautovic, and Bojan. But the Pulis side…

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Sep 2022 12:09

muirinho

of course, my comment was more ‘defence’ to Jed Maxwells’ mates comment tbf
….and an excuse to get Leon cited.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Sep 2022 12:38

I think it's just frustrations from the opposition that we play, simply because we relinquish the ball in games and make it awkward for them. But what we are doing at the moment is effective, we were better than them in both boxes and looked far more threatening most of the game as well. They had the lions share in the middle third but that's not where you win games.

I don't recall Lumley making too many saves in general and the only real chance they had bar the goal was one for Clucas(?) early in the second half where he should do better, other than that they had nothing else. We had more opportunities/openings at goal than them and defended most things comfortably throughout, whereas their defence was probably the exact opposite of comfortable from minute one really.

I don't mind our style of play, we've started the season and largely been an effective team that is suited to the Championship. Outclassed by Sheff United, fair enough, a very bad hiccup at Rotherham as well but, other than that, we've looked competitive (or more) in every other game we've played. That's all we can really ask for as fans, and it's working.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Sep 2022 12:46

YorkshireRoyal99 I think it's just frustrations from the opposition that we play, simply because we relinquish the ball in games and make it awkward for them. But what we are doing at the moment is effective, we were better than them in both boxes and looked far more threatening most of the game as well. They had the lions share in the middle third but that's not where you win games.

I don't recall Lumley making too many saves in general and the only real chance they had bar the goal was one for Clucas(?) early in the second half where he should do better, other than that they had nothing else. We had more opportunities/openings at goal than them and defended most things comfortably throughout, whereas their defence was probably the exact opposite of comfortable from minute one really.

I don't mind our style of play, we've started the season and largely been an effective team that is suited to the Championship. Outclassed by Sheff United, fair enough, a very bad hiccup at Rotherham as well but, other than that, we've looked competitive (or more) in every other game we've played. That's all we can really ask for as fans, and it's working.

Especially at home, which is a huge tick.

4464 posts