Opposition fans back from the game

4464 posts
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by leon » 05 Jan 2020 20:05

AthleticoSpizz He makes good point tho’

Reading is a sh1t pit

It really isn’t. There are plenty of much worse places to live.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2020 20:11

Is that why you don’t live here?

Believe me, Reading (other than being a dormitory town full of opportunities for office workers) is a sh1t pit...currently no swimming pools, no production, gridlocked most evenings, expensive parking, hospital that can barely cope....unaffordable ‘affordable’ housing

Sh1t pit

Nice rivers tho’

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jan 2020 20:16

AthleticoSpizz Is that why you don’t live here?

Believe me, Reading (other than being a dormitory town full of opportunities for office workers) is a sh1t pit...currently no swimming pools, no production, gridlocked most evenings, expensive parking, hospital that can barely cope....unaffordable ‘affordable’ housing

Sh1t pit

Nice rivers tho’

There are good things about living in Reading. There are bad things about Reading

And the same applies to every town and city

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2020 20:18

Well quite, but Leon (correctly) chooses not to live here.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2020 20:30

Ah it’s pretty good on the whole. Has it’s issues but I quite living in what’s basically a city, great access to London, a decent jobs market and plenty of usable green space nearby.

As mentioned I’m influenced by the weather as well and it’s as good (ie warm/dry) as anywhere in the country

Certainly I feel there’s been far too much development without supporting infrastructure mind you

Still could be plenty worse

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2020 20:36

Yes, the “infrastructure” is badly lacking, meantime the dormitories are still too forthcoming.

Basingstoke and even Bracknell appear to have more social facilities than this wannabe city ffs

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jan 2020 20:41

Hound Ah it’s pretty good on the whole. Has it’s issues but I quite living in what’s basically a city, great access to London, a decent jobs market and plenty of usable green space nearby.

As mentioned I’m influenced by the weather as well and it’s as good (ie warm/dry) as anywhere in the country

Certainly I feel there’s been far too much development without supporting infrastructure mind you

To be fair, it pretty much rains everywhere in England, think you’d be better off abroad if you’re influenced by weather, rather than Reading...

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 05 Jan 2020 20:59

Singing Defective
Westwood52
Victor Meldrew
I think you will find that because of the low-lying nature of the area ( the clue is in "valley") pulmonary problems are higher than in other areas unless of course you live in Tilehurst or Caversham Heights and don't go out much. :wink:

We don’t get out much in Tilehurst.Too high and too cold.

We get out plenty in Tilehurst. The intelligentsia at The Watertower has to be seen to be believed, and my dogs do appreciate the fog drawing a subtle veil over their attempts to cull the deer. Even if it does elicit a dainty cough or ten minutes.

The main danger to health are the twelve million speed bumps some local Safety Officer has put on the crumbling roads. I’ve started wearing a mouth guard on the bus.

The roads in Tilehurst are worse than downtown Basra. I'm thinking of fitting caterpillar tracks to the family Mondeo just to deal with the pot holes.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2020 21:03

Not just Tilehurst Jagers....years of p1ss poor repairs and neglect..

The whole town is populated with pot holes and crumbling roads....my car is taking a hammering even at 25mph.

Seems to be money available to facilitate bus lanes tho’

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 05 Jan 2020 21:04

Sh1t pit

Nice rivers tho’

None of those reasons make it a shit pit tbf. More the result of it being a good place to live and people flocking here - swimming pools for flats. I actually also think there has been an uptick in independent restaurants and shops in the town. There are some absolute scum areas mind - Oxford Road flowing into the Broad street end of town seems the attract the absolute pits of society. There also is a lot of homeless, but this is true of every town and city in the country these days - perhaps the war on drugs isn't going great?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 05 Jan 2020 21:06

AthleticoSpizz Not just Tilehurst Jagers....years of p1ss poor repairs and neglect..

The whole town is populated with pot holes and crumbling roads....my car is taking a hammering even at 25mph.

Seems to be money available to facilitate bus lanes tho’

Sorry I don't venture out of Tilehurst so can't comment. :wink:

Tbf the buses in Reading are bloody good, if you ever do have the misfortune of having to ride one.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2020 21:39

URZZZZ
Hound Ah it’s pretty good on the whole. Has it’s issues but I quite living in what’s basically a city, great access to London, a decent jobs market and plenty of usable green space nearby.

To be fair, it pretty much rains everywhere in England, think you’d be better off abroad if you’re influenced by weather, rather than Reading...

Not really an option. It really doesn’t rain that much at all in the S of England. Cloudy yes, rain not so much

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2020 21:43

Jagermesiter1871

Sh1t pit

Nice rivers tho’

None of those reasons make it a shit pit tbf. More the result of it being a good place to live and people flocking here - swimming pools for flats. I actually also think there has been an uptick in independent restaurants and shops in the town. There are some absolute scum areas mind - Oxford Road flowing into the Broad street end of town seems the attract the absolute pits of society. There also is a lot of homeless, but this is true of every town and city in the country these days - perhaps the war on drugs isn't going great?

Yes a bit of a victim of its own success. I expect some level of additional infrastructure/facilities such as the swimming pools will follow, but just not as quickly as they should

There’s plenty of money flying around to support it

You're Bard

by You're Bard » 05 Jan 2020 21:44

St Pauli
Not sure if this is a wind up but if it isn’t you’re really trying too hard here.

I’ve nothing against northerners, I’ve something against tired old wind ups/cliches from opposition fans about the club, regardless of where they’re from Blackpool, or Fulham/Brighton. If I’m sat in the bus to or from an away game in someone else’s town I’ll not slag off the home team ground, club or town because I don’t need to define my passing existence on this earth by being in opposition to something as meaningless as another group of people’s building for, and ways of, supporting their local football club.

As for disliking the North, the fact you automatically equate ‘the North’ with ‘Working Class’ just shows how limited your understanding of my point is. The massive social problems Blackpool has (that cause its low house prices) aren’t some part of working class culture to be proud of, they’re awful, horrific things that working class communities (in the North and South, and Wales, and Scotland) have to suffer. The fact you’re trying to romanticise them/ignore them by claiming my post is some sort of southern snobbery suggests to me you haven’t set foot inside the community you claim to be standing up for in years.

Spot on

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 05 Jan 2020 21:55

Victor Meldrew
From Despair To Where? Liverpool and Manchester have fantastic public transport networks and certainly being by the coast means Liverpool doesn't get as cold. Liverpool and Manchester are thriving economically. Having lived in both, I prefer Liverpool because the people are nicer but they're both fantastic cities.

Well done FDTW for once again educating some of these tossers on the merits of life away from the South-East.
Having lived away from Reading for so much longer than the first 24 years of my life I see Reading as the ugly girlfriend-I love her but nobody else can see the attraction.

A town that only has the Forbury Gardens and the Abbey ruins (add in the jail if you like) as areas that have not been destroyed just to make the town one big traffic jam really doesn't appear attractive from the outside.
Modern office buildings?
Yeah, great.

Not only is it an unhealthy area to live with the notorious Thames Valley mist and fog it is characterless-there are a couple of rivers but unlike coastal towns there is no magic of an open sea.

So do kid yourselves that the Thames Valley with over-population is wonderful because.................................….well it's not far from London and is so much better than the Midlands or North because...………………………………………………

A shame that St P had to rough it by mixing on a bus with the proletariat talking in a funny way as they travelled "dayn tayn" but maybe they are happy with their lot and are proud of their tower known far and wide whereas they perceive Reading as a non-descript Southern town a bit bigger than but just as ugly as a Slough or a Milton Keynes or ,dare I say, a Swindon.

Reading I love you but I can fully understand why others don't.

Magic of an open sea :lol: :lol: :lol:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Jan 2020 22:08

Yeah, it does kind of depend on whether your beach is caked in donkey shit or not.

In fairness, there are some lovely, unspoilt beaches at Formby and Ainsdale, as long as you don't mind the view of an offshore windfarm and endless Chinese container ships heading into Liverpool.

Also in fairness to Blackpool, I went to Hunstanton last summer and as far as seaside resorts are concerned, that's really is a pit in the arse end of nowhere. At least if you live in Blackpool, it's an hour from somewhere.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Jan 2020 23:53

AthleticoSpizz Well quite, but Leon (correctly) chooses not to live here.

Yes I live in London but I’ve worked (and lived) in plenty of worse places.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Jan 2020 07:25

Not sure what it says about the team board but the last couple of pages on here have been the best read on it for a while - except for my posts of course.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jan 2020 07:38

Stranded Not sure what it says about the team board but the last couple of pages on here have been the best read on it for a while - except for my posts of course.

You’ve not read OMA’s posts about Leeds on the Rivals thread then?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2020 11:20

Hound
URZZZZ

Not really an option. It really doesn’t rain that much at all in the S of England. Cloudy yes, rain not so much

East of England is typically very dry.

4464 posts