Opposition fans back from the game

4464 posts
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Feb 2023 22:19

Pretty fair (more pissed-off with their management) on some of their comments tbf

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 28 Mar 2023 10:30

Not opposition fans back from the game but Oxford fans pondering why Reading are so tinpot

https://yellowsforum.co.uk/threads/why- ... npot.8976/

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Mar 2023 10:41

super darren caskey Not opposition fans back from the game but Oxford fans pondering why Reading are so tinpot

Ace

Interesting to see they could go down this year which would be a big shame

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 28 Mar 2023 10:47

Oxford? Oh, are they still going?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 28 Mar 2023 10:55

Thames Valley Royals

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 28 Mar 2023 11:59

super darren caskey Not opposition fans back from the game but Oxford fans pondering why Reading are so tinpot

Difficult to argue with some of the things they say, tbf.

Only thing is that they completely fail to see that some of the those same things apply to them much, much more...

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 Mar 2023 12:10

I wrote the bloke off after he said we were having one of our best seasons in recent years

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Mar 2023 12:55

Nothing says inferiority complex quite like a 7 pages thread on how tinpot we are.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 28 Mar 2023 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Mar 2023 12:58

Silver Fox I wrote the bloke off after he said we were having one of our best seasons in recent years

Sadly he's not far off, a couple of weeks ago we were about 15th

18th (mostly higher)
21st
7th
15th
20th
20th
3rd
17th
19th
7th

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 28 Mar 2023 17:29

From Despair To Where? Nothing says inferiority complex quite like able, 7 pages thread on how tinpot we are.

It's kind of funny to see a fan base talking about how bad our crowds are when they've not averaged more than 8500 since the days of Pringle sweaters being fashionable.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Mar 2023 17:30

And this from a club that has such a large support it only needs to have 3 stands at home.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 29 Mar 2023 08:16

Anyone over the age of 50 knows the rivalry. To anyone below 30, Oxford are just another local lower league club like Wycombe, or Swindon come to that. It’s nearly 20 years since we last played Oxford, a period where we have had two promotions to the top flight as champions and have spent an unbroken period in the top two divisions while they have fumbled around in non-league and the lower leagues.

What must really piss off their older fans is that anyone under the age of 25 would consider Reading a second tier club these days, and Oxford a third/fourth tier club, when 35-40 years ago it would’ve been the opposite.

The comment about seeing other bigger more glamorous clubs’ shirts around town, presumably if I went to Oxford city centre all the kids would be wearing Oxford shirts and not Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs tops?

Let’s make sure we stay up and keep trips to Oxford and Swindon as rare visits for cup games.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Mar 2023 09:23

Maybe Oxford fans are just upset they are closer to relegation to League Two than we are to relegation to League One.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 29 Mar 2023 09:39

tidus_mi2 Maybe Oxford fans are just upset they are closer to relegation to League Two than we are to relegation to League One.

I was looking earlier at their remaining 9 games and they should be worried! Still to play Shef Weds, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Bolton and Peterborough as well as relegation six pointers away at Forest Green, and Accrington at home last game. Only two games against sides with noting to play for, Cheltenham and Port Vale. They are well in the shit.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Mar 2023 10:54

Looks like they could be locking horns with their fiercest rivals again sooner than expected.
I must say though that those derbies against them and Swindon back in the 70s were something to behold. i actually miss them.
I`m open to being corrected but i remember a game against the pox at the Madejski, we won 4-3 i think that`s the only time they`ve played in the stadium.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Mar 2023 10:55

windermereROYAL I`m open to being corrected but i remember a game against the pox at the Madejski, we won 4-3 i think that`s the only time they`ve played in the stadium.

I think that is correct. Pissed down with rain that day.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Mar 2023 11:19

Hendo
windermereROYAL I`m open to being corrected but i remember a game against the pox at the Madejski, we won 4-3 i think that`s the only time they`ve played in the stadium.

I remember a game that was on a Sunday pre-lunchtime for Sky, who then decided not to televise it because of the threat of violence (!) - and then it stayed as a Sunday! Seem to remember a terrible drab 0-0 on a grey, cold, miserable day.

May be completely wrong, though.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Mar 2023 11:22

Dirk Gently
Hendo

I remember a game that was on a Sunday pre-lunchtime for Sky, who then decided not to televise it because of the threat of violence (!) - and then it stayed as a Sunday! Seem to remember a terrible drab 0-0 on a grey, cold, miserable day.

Doesn't seem to be any 0-0's here - https://www.royals.org/history/Oxford

Although does look like there was a 1-2 defeat at Madejski in addition to the 4-3 win, which has obviously slipped all of our minds. :lol:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Mar 2023 11:28

Hendo
Dirk Gently
Hendo

Doesn't seem to be any 0-0's here - https://www.royals.org/history/Oxford

Although does look like there was a 1-2 defeat at Madejski in addition to the 4-3 win, which has obviously slipped all of our minds. :lol:

That 2-1 defeat is the one - 7th November 1999 was a Sunday. It wasn't a 0-0, it just felt like it in my memory because it was a thoroughly depressing day with nothing to remember positively from it. The reason I remember it is that I had my 4-year-old daughter with me and she slept all the way through the whole 90 minutes - which was absolutely the most sensible thing to do.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 29 Mar 2023 11:31

Mr Optimist Anyone over the age of 50 knows the rivalry. To anyone below 30, Oxford are just another local lower league club like Wycombe, or Swindon come to that. It’s nearly 20 years since we last played Oxford, a period where we have had two promotions to the top flight as champions and have spent an unbroken period in the top two divisions while they have fumbled around in non-league and the lower leagues.

What must really piss off their older fans is that anyone under the age of 25 would consider Reading a second tier club these days, and Oxford a third/fourth tier club, when 35-40 years ago it would’ve been the opposite.

The comment about seeing other bigger more glamorous clubs’ shirts around town, presumably if I went to Oxford city centre all the kids would be wearing Oxford shirts and not Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs tops?

Let’s make sure we stay up and keep trips to Oxford and Swindon as rare visits for cup games.

Going further back they were seen as some non-league club called Headington United that kept on winning the Southern League (Conference) but with no promotion to the English professional structure available.
Then in 1963 (?) Accrington dropped out and they were allowed in.

In the space of a few years they stormed past us and not only reached the top level way before us but won a League Cup so they could well argue that they are a more successful club than us.
Our old manager Maurice Evans (along with Jim Smith) can claim much credit for their success but with such a small ground and support it couldn't be maintained, a bit like Wimbledon and probably would be the case now with Bournemouth if they didn't have rich Russian and then American benefactors although they will surely get hit with FFP penalties for buying promotion again (fined £9 million when they were promoted previously).

My in-laws were Oxford fans living just two roads away from the old ground in Headington and used to follow them everywhere in their Southern League days and then to some extent later.
F-I-L had a soft spot for Reading as he used to bike over to visit relatives in even earlier days and watch Reading play so there was no great rivalry in the family (our son was even born in Oxford) although I do confess to a bit of jealousy when they came into the League and did so well.
Nowadays I don't care one way or another apart from feeling a bit for a nephew who is a long-standing fan of theirs.

4464 posts