The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7548 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2014/15

by SCIAG » 05 Feb 2015 13:46

Royalwaster Noticeably none of the 'big' teams still in it - but I guess the big academy teams?

The word "still" is unnecessary.

Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs didn't enter this year.

Take our success with a pinch of salt, particularly without Chelsea's entry.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 05 Feb 2015 21:16

Royals and Racers
Royals and Racers
Michael Meaker Any idea when the draw for the semis will be? Presumably it would be played at the Mad Stad if it is a home tie?

Blackburn,Derby and the Royals are through with Southampton or Watford still to play. SF`s should be played before the end of Feb.

The last QF Southampton v Watford is tonight so the draw could be tomorrow ?

Match didn`t take place tonight-postponed presumably because of a youth cup tie against Leicester at Southampton tonight.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 06 Feb 2015 07:16

SCIAG
Royalwaster Noticeably none of the 'big' teams still in it - but I guess the big academy teams?

The word "still" is unnecessary.

Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs didn't enter this year.

Take our success with a pinch of salt, particularly without Chelsea's entry.

Hi Kes.

Colbster

by Colbster » 06 Feb 2015 09:15

Tbh our u21s beat all of those teams in the past. So theres no reason why they wouldnt have done so this season. From the games I've seen, the better academy teams seem to be from the slightly smaller clubs

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Feb 2015 14:27

Colbster Tbh our u21s beat all of those teams in the past. So theres no reason why they wouldnt have done so this season. From the games I've seen, the better academy teams seem to be from the slightly smaller clubs

I think our first team has also beaten all of those teams in the past... (and fwiw, you're not actually correct - our U21s have never beaten Chelsea, Spurs or Man United, and this set of players haven't beaten Spurs for four years)

There's no doubt that Chelsea have the best U21 side in the country, They're top of Division 1 and have won two of the last three Youth Cups.

Check the league tables. Our U21s have rarely been able to field a full strength side over the past two years but we've not done as well as the "bigger" sides (Arsenal aside). Three of the four best sides - four of the five best, if Liverpool win their games in hand - didn't enter this competition. Even if we could beat them, the fact that we didn't have to detracts from our success somewhat.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Feb 2015 17:04

Fook em. They only haven't entered because they know we're going to retain our title and they're bitter.

madstadblues

by madstadblues » 06 Feb 2015 19:35

How many of those teams players will actually play for Chelsea etc. Isn't bringing players through the whole point of these acadamy / U21 teams.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 06 Feb 2015 20:54

madstadblues How many of those teams players will actually play for Chelsea etc. Isn't bringing players through the whole point of these acadamy / U21 teams.

And if they produce one player of the caliber/value for their team every few years they'll be quids in, not to mention the cash from selling to other clubs, fulfilling their community commitments, contribution to the game of football, creating jobs, spreading the Chelsea brand and most importantly hiding spending in the academy which is "free" for FFP.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 07 Feb 2015 14:39

Under 18's drew 1-1 with Southampton, match report here http://sfcne.ws/U18ReportRFCH

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Feb 2015 20:28

madstadblues How many of those teams players will actually play for Chelsea etc. Isn't bringing players through the whole point of these acadamy / U21 teams.

Several of them already have...

Even if you don't count cameos from the likes of Baker, Solanke and Loftus-Cheek, Chelsea have a significantly better record of developing players (at any level) than we do. We can't criticise Chelsea for not producing many players of top four standard when we don't produce any either.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Feb 2015 05:14

SCIAG

Even if you don't count cameos from the likes of Baker, Solanke and Loftus-Cheek, Chelsea have a significantly better record of developing players (at any level) than we do. We can't criticise Chelsea for not producing many players of top four standard when we don't produce any either.

Well I've got my RFC blinkers on but I'd say we've produced a top 4 player who just hasn't got a fair crack at a big side.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Feb 2015 11:43

SCIAG

Bit of a difference in profile and resources though.

the longer Chelsea go without anyone breaking into the 1st team the more it will count against them, and the better the quality of youngster available to clubs like Reading who are giving the Academy graduates a clear path.

I appreciate that Chelsea do give their youngsters a path to a long-term career through the loan network but I don't think its quite the same as playing for the club who holds your registration and through which you have developed as a youngster.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Feb 2015 12:18

Royal Rother

the longer Chelsea go without anyone breaking into the 1st team the more it will count against them, and the better the quality of youngster available to clubs like Reading who are giving the Academy graduates a clear path.

I appreciate that Chelsea do give their youngsters a path to a long-term career through the loan network but I don't think its quite the same as playing for the club who holds your registration and through which you have developed as a youngster.

Oh, quite. I'm certainly not knocking the work our academy does, just acknowledging that we aren't the best in the country.

Parents and players have been quietly suspicious of Chelsea for quite some time - before Rodgers switched - but that hasn't stopped them recruiting players. The three best ten year olds in the Reading area were all playing for Chelsea from the age of six. Players like Tshibola signed for us because they were confident of making the first team, but Chelsea's stature is still a bigger factor for many (predominantly middle class) parents.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 08 Feb 2015 12:22

Royal Rother
SCIAG

Unfortunately young footballers are far too stupid to work out that a move to Chelsea's Academy is shockingly bad for their career.
One only has to look at Aaron Tshibola's central midfield partner (Michael Woods), at League Two's Hartlepool for a prime example of Chelsea ruining the development of one of the country's top prospects.

English football would be in a much better state if clubs like Chelsea and Man City were banned from owning players under the age of 21.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 08 Feb 2015 12:35

SCIAG
Royal Rother

Oh, quite. I'm certainly not knocking the work our academy does, just acknowledging that we aren't the best in the country.

Parents and players have been quietly suspicious of Chelsea for quite some time - before Rodgers switched - but that hasn't stopped them recruiting players. The three best ten year olds in the Reading area were all playing for Chelsea from the age of six. Players like Tshibola signed for us because they were confident of making the first team, but Chelsea's stature is still a bigger factor for many (predominantly middle class) parents.

Tshibola was brought in from East London, at the age of 13; a fairly bizarre example given the point you were trying to make.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Feb 2015 13:22

P!ssed Off Tshibola was brought in from East London, at the age of 13; a fairly bizarre example given the point you were trying to make.

Not really.

Tshibola had several clubs chasing him and chose us because he liked the atmosphere and thought he could achieve things. If he was only concerned about stature then he could have gone to Arsenal or Chelsea. My point was that we can recruit some players that those clubs can't, but stature is still important (see: Solanke).

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 08 Feb 2015 13:30

Is that Dom Solanke, the winger, or Dom Solanke, the striker? :wink:

Perhaps James Henry, from the Reading area, and once pursued by Chelsea, might have been a more appropriate example, than Tshibola.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 08 Feb 2015 14:07

Isn't the loaned out, not yet breaking through Chalobah reputedly on £30k plus? That's one very good reason to be on Chelsea's books as a youngster rather than ours. Poor move Mr Tanner, poor move...

Colbster

by Colbster » 09 Feb 2015 17:13

The Southampton Watford QF has been re-arranged for 12/02/2015. We will then find out who we are against (and when) in the Semi's

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Feb 2015 17:24

Both the U18s and the U16s drew 1-1 with Southampton.

Novakovich for the U18s after Southampton scored from a penalty when Osho handled.
Tom McIntyre scored for the U16s to celebrate being offered a contract until 2018 (and he's probably the best example of a youngster turning down Chelsea to pursue first team opportunities at Reading).

7548 posts