The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7490 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: "10 green Reading graduates standing on a wall"

by Hound » 02 Jul 2017 08:49

To be fair, we probably needed a bit of a clear out, and I'm pleased to see them all get other clubs

But in answer to the question, prob Dom Samuel

mambo3

by mambo3 » 02 Jul 2017 10:17

Some were offered new contracts so I guess the club wanted them and it looks like they were all turned down, worrying. Others sold that really have not seemed to have had much game time. What's left must be looking for loans out.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2017 10:40

This is just business as usual for the Academy, same as it's always been.

Each year we have a crop of young players with talent and potential and each year we have to lose some because they're not quite there or there's no opening for them.

Last season Kelly made it through and Watson got game time. Having one or two new players contribute to the first team each season is brilliant success. And we've been achieving that for a good five years now at least.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Jul 2017 12:06

mambo3 Who's next?

No. Who's on first.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 06 Jul 2017 12:49

Snowflake Royal This is just business as usual for the Academy, same as it's always been.

Each year we have a crop of young players with talent and potential and each year we have to lose some because they're not quite there or there's no opening for them.

Last season Kelly made it through and Watson got game time. Having one or two new players contribute to the first team each season is brilliant success. And we've been achieving that for a good five years now at least.

Well these are the ones that are staying within the academy. So not all doom and gloom. We can't keep all of them

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2017/j ... contracts/

3points
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by 3points » 06 Jul 2017 19:19

Stam suggesting Samuel has plenty of talent but not enough application or dedication in his presser yesterday. Make or break off season for him

Richard

by Richard » 06 Jul 2017 19:39

Sutekh
mambo3 Who's next?

No. Who's on first.

Yes, but ..... What's on second.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Jul 2017 08:57

Sutekh
mambo3 Who's next?

No. Who's on first.

:D

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jul 2017 10:07

Have we got any in the know users willing to write a report on the remains of our academy going into next season? List of players who are perhaps at the right age to make a push this season or should be pushed out on loan to aid their development?
With a lot of the well known players gone or going it would be great if someone had the time to do a quick write up of what we can expect the youth teams to look like.
Having never lived in Reading the only knowledge I have ever had of our reserve players has been from here and (sigh) football manager.

Hitchytwo

by Hitchytwo » 07 Jul 2017 12:02

I would really like to see novakovic starting next season, maybe if kermogant gets injured! I think he could be our next top striker!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2017 12:20

Hitchytwo I would really like to see novakovic starting next season, maybe if kermogant gets injured! I think he could be our next top striker!

he's out on loan for next season

Seems like of the current crop, maybe its Rinomhata, Frost, Barrett and Richards who are closest to the first 11. Would like to see Richards given game time hopefully to back up Obita.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2017 12:33

3points Stam suggesting Samuel has plenty of talent but not enough application or dedication in his presser yesterday. Make or break off season for him

Not the first manager to say this iirc. Adkins?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 11 Jul 2017 13:16

Good interview/article here from JLow in GetReading (Yes! I know!)

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... g-13313290

In summary, Stam saying some of those going didn't want to wait for their opportunities with Reading, they wanted to move somewhere where they could play first team football. And those going on loan likewise need the first-team football (but presumably are willing to stick with Reading for the time being at least)

Certain young players need to play and some think they are ready to play with Reading. Some don't have the patience and wanted to leave, so they had to go.

"Others like Yakou and Danzell knew they had to get the minutes and it would benefit for them to go out on loan and play first-team football for a year.

Also saying that some players seemed to think they were too good for the U23s

As a player you need to be open for everything and be willing to learn and accept certain choices that a manager makes.

"Players need to play, and if they play in the U23s I want them to play the same as they would in the first team - so not thinking "I'm disappointed I'm playing with the U23s so will just be on the pitch for 90 minutes and then I've done it.

Holds Liam Kelly up as an example of doing the right thing, and this is what the guys that want to break through need to do.

"We still have a lot of youngsters and four or five are getting a chance in pre-season to show what they can do,"
Hopefully they can walk the same walk as Liam Kelly last season.
Liam's been great - he's open to criticism, wants to improve himself and learn from the coaches and the experienced players, he listens to them as well and he doesn't think he has made it already.
You can see by doing that he is developing very well."

Now that I've performed that public service - why not click on the link (turn the sound off on the tab!) - you don't need to hang about waiting for the page to load fully to read the best bits, because I've done that for you. If we don't support our local papers, we won't have any. Same applies to clicking on the Chronic's pages while using an adblocker. It doesn't cost you anything (except bandwidth), and it's pretty much their only source of income now. (If you physically buy the Chronic, then you're excused!)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2017 14:02

yeah was a good interview, agreed. Not sure about the headlines, didn't really read it as being critical of individuals, Stam seemed to be careful not to criticise names as such - and made it look like it was a positive move he supported for Meite to go out on loan

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Jul 2017 14:12

Only reason it's been seen as a 'good interview' is because Jaap has spoken intelligently and openly about his rationale, I doubt it was anything to do with the 'quality' of the interviewer.

And as intimated above, the headline is inaccurate at best, libellous at worst.

The drop off in quality from the Watts era is scary.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 11 Jul 2017 15:03

winchester_royal Only reason it's been seen as a 'good interview' is because Jaap has spoken intelligently and openly about his rationale, I doubt it was anything to do with the 'quality' of the interviewer.

And as intimated above, the headline is inaccurate at best, libellous at worst.

The drop off in quality from the Watts era is scary.

Not disagreeing about the drop-off from Watts. But I think it's Watts that was the aberration, rather than JLo. Especially given that it's free.

And he's quoted enough directly from Stam that people can make up their own minds. Unlike certain tabloids that would have taken half sentences out of context, and based the entire article about them.

Agree about the headlines though.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Jul 2017 15:12

I think it would have taken a special piece of journalism to mess up that particular article, but I get your point.

My main frustration is that Mr Low appears to just be churning out page after page over garbage everyday rather than doing any kind of investigative journalism. These are quite interesting times for the club, and yet none of us are any wiser as to what is actually going on aside from the snippets put on the club website. Obviously there's only so much you can get out of the club, but just some digging around would be nice.

Get Reading is a free website yes, but they still make plenty of money from those awful advertisements and as such they are able to pay Low a decent salary. It would be nice to see him earning it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2017 16:52

Don't want to keep knocking the guy, but writing headlines like that to accompany the piece probably won't help him get any more interviews with players or management

Obv GR want him to be both sensationalising headlines and writing something every day to get in the clicks, but need to try to balance it with accuracy to what is in the article itself

To be honest, JLow is the least of GRs worries at the moment. Wtf was that latest article by Kempson like? Awful and complete rubbish

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Jul 2017 09:01

Time to update the thread title I think. Let's lose the years....

Anyway the club have revealed the next batch of bright prospects moving up for inclusion in the U18s.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2017/j ... -18-squad/

The names to start getting familiar with are :

1. Jökull Andresson
  2. Adam Desbois
  3. Marcel Elva-Foutaine
  4. Ayominde Faniyan
  5. Michenaidgelo Hansen
  6. James Hillson
  7. Charlie Lawrence
  8. Shamar Moore
  9. Roberto Nditi
  10. Jack Nolan
  11. Emmanuel Obamakinwa
  12. Jacob Pemberton
  13. Terrance Saydee
  14. Khalid Simmo
  15. Tommy Stevens

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 12 Jul 2017 11:49

Jack Nolan has already played quite a few times for the u18s i think, so could be one to watch in this group.
Marcel elva foutaine is joining from spurs apparently.

Dont know any of the others

7490 posts