The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7492 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Hendo » 22 Jan 2020 09:09

Hound I do think we should be looking at McIntyre as first choice next season. Southwood as no.2. Olise, Howe and Richards in the 18 every week. Possibly Holsgrove. Rino first 11.

That'd be a decent return.

Hamilton seem chuffed to have Southwood back which is good to see

With McIntyre, I think a lot will depend on whether Moore goes in the summer and/or Morrison is still ok to play at the level we need him to.

But I agree, I think he should be banging on the door to be in the first XI.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Jan 2020 09:10

Hound I do think we should be looking at McIntyre as first choice next season. Southwood as no.2. Olise, Howe and Richards in the 18 every week. Possibly Holsgrove. Rino first 11.

Is McIntyre better than Moore or Morrison?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Jan 2020 09:10

Stranded
Hendo
Royals and Racers Luke Southwood has signed a new contract until the summer of 2021 and has re-joined Hamilton on loan until the end of the season.

Good stuff - best move for him imo.

Will be ready to be number 2 next season.

Can only assume he has been told he will be #2 at worst next year and will be first choice for cup games with a chance to compete with Rafael for the #1 spot esp. if he does well at Hamilton. Good move by the club if so.

I think it would be sensible to assume this.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jan 2020 09:14

NewCorkSeth

Not now. I'd be looking to get him in over Morrison for next season though

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Jan 2020 09:19

Hound
NewCorkSeth

Not now. I'd be looking to get him in over Morrison for next season though

I'd hope so. McIntyre should learn a lot from Morrison. Could be a great person for him to shadow.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 22 Jan 2020 10:12

Royals and Racers Decent draw for the U18’s today 1-1 at 2nd in the table West Ham . Abby scored the goal

Had an interesting chat with a friend who is close to an U18 manager of a Prem team and he said that they really are not particularly bothered about results of the games they play - instead everything - the games, training, etc. - is geared towards developing the 1 or 2 individuals who they think can make it at the highest level and can move into the 1st team. The rest of players are just there either to be sold to other clubs or to support the development of the VERY talented ones. Quite a sobering thought if your kid is in an U18 team and you think he's destined for stardom.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Jan 2020 10:16

Royalwaster
Royals and Racers Decent draw for the U18’s today 1-1 at 2nd in the table West Ham . Abby scored the goal

Had an interesting chat with a friend who is close to an U18 manager of a Prem team and he said that they really are not particularly bothered about results of the games they play - instead everything - the games, training, etc. - is geared towards developing the 1 or 2 individuals who they think can make it at the highest level and can move into the 1st team. The rest of players are just there either to be sold to other clubs or to support the development of the VERY talented ones. Quite a sobering thought if your kid is in an U18 team and you think he's destined for stardom.

Wow. That is an interesting attitude.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Jan 2020 10:23

NewCorkSeth
Royalwaster

But understandable. You are of course developing all the kids at u18 level but you will know fairly early which ones will make it at your club and which ones won't - so you focus development on those that could make your first team whilst getting others to a level whereby a club a little down the tree will want them.

For example, look at Nolan - very unlikely to get to our first team but he's been developed to a level where a League 2 side think he can improve their first team squad.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Jan 2020 10:28

Stranded
NewCorkSeth
Royalwaster

But understandable. You are of course developing all the kids at u18 level but you will know fairly early which ones will make it at your club and which ones won't - so you focus development on those that could make your first team whilst getting others to a level whereby a club a little down the tree will want them.

For example, look at Nolan - very unlikely to get to our first team but he's been developed to a level where a League 2 side think he can improve their first team squad.

Yes but it does raise questions about players who are let go then go on to show their ability elsewhere.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Jan 2020 10:32

NewCorkSeth
Stranded
NewCorkSeth Wow. That is an interesting attitude.

Yes but it does raise questions about players who are let go then go on to show their ability elsewhere.

Of course, it's not a perfect system - every club will make mistakes, some players will develop later and only after they've been discarded by their original club (or even a couple of clubs).

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 22 Jan 2020 10:33

so does anyone know why Ged Roddy left in the end? had the academy not been progressing well enough under him? was he basically shit? It was all quite sudden and hush hush as to why he left. And how is Gilksey getting on, a big step up for the guy, are things improving?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Jan 2020 13:52

Heard he had a habit of upsetting people, especially the academy players and their parents

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Jan 2020 14:33

Snowflake Royal
Ranty McRantface At the moment I wouldn't really blame any of our youngsters wanting to drop down a tier or 2 to develop. Especially if they are 20 or under. Nolan has probably seen what's happened/happening to Barrett, Loader, Olise, McIntyre, Southwood, Osho, East, Frost, Howe, Watson, House etc. And decided his best chance of making it as a footballer is playing at a lower level at a very young age. He is likely to learn a lot more playing at Walsall in League Two than playing U23 football and having the odd training session with the first team.

There's also the fact that Bowen will favour more experienced players in the league games as he focuses on experience to get us in the play offs. He's been alluding to that quite often when asked by the press and fans about our younger players.

I would not be surprised to see more youngsters move on in Jan as they are going to find development opportunities in the first team extremely limited here.

Er, I mean
Barrett 6 (7)
Loader 12 (21)
Olise 5 (5)
McIntyre 7 (2)
Osho 2 (1)
East 1
Howe 4 (1)
Watson 4 (3)

Plus of course the ones you ignored like
Richards 40 (8)
Obita 155 (20)
Rinomhota 48 (10)

And of course the ones that broke through here and then moved on elsewhere, which are almost too numerous to mention.

The idea young players don't get a chance here. :roll:

I'd love it to be a bit more, but we're really not bad in handing out debuts and giving a progression route.

I think it's fair to say that we were pretty bad between about the time that McCarthy made his debut and about the time that Kelly made his debut. That was a long time where the only players who came through were Obita, Hector, Tshibola and Cooper, and that wasn't due to a lack of supply.

Since then things have got a bit better but I don't think East, Osho, Howe or Watson are great examples of the opportunities available. Even Barrett is someone who we clearly didn't get the best of except when Gomes was at the club. Not entirely our fault mind.

Loader and Olise are the big marks in our favour, and I think Nolan was probably in the same talent bracket as them, but so were a lot of players who weren't given much chance here. IMO if he decided he wanted first team football then he probably looked at people like Jack Stacey and decided that was his best bet. Good luck to him. Given his injury record and that we don't always use wingers, I don't think we can kick ourselves too hard.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2020 20:07

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal
Ranty McRantface At the moment I wouldn't really blame any of our youngsters wanting to drop down a tier or 2 to develop. Especially if they are 20 or under. Nolan has probably seen what's happened/happening to Barrett, Loader, Olise, McIntyre, Southwood, Osho, East, Frost, Howe, Watson, House etc. And decided his best chance of making it as a footballer is playing at a lower level at a very young age. He is likely to learn a lot more playing at Walsall in League Two than playing U23 football and having the odd training session with the first team.

There's also the fact that Bowen will favour more experienced players in the league games as he focuses on experience to get us in the play offs. He's been alluding to that quite often when asked by the press and fans about our younger players.

I would not be surprised to see more youngsters move on in Jan as they are going to find development opportunities in the first team extremely limited here.

Er, I mean
Barrett 6 (7)
Loader 12 (21)
Olise 5 (5)
McIntyre 7 (2)
Osho 2 (1)
East 1
Howe 4 (1)
Watson 4 (3)

Plus of course the ones you ignored like
Richards 40 (8)
Obita 155 (20)
Rinomhota 48 (10)

And of course the ones that broke through here and then moved on elsewhere, which are almost too numerous to mention.

The idea young players don't get a chance here. :roll:

I'd love it to be a bit more, but we're really not bad in handing out debuts and giving a progression route.

I think it's fair to say that we were pretty bad between about the time that McCarthy made his debut and about the time that Kelly made his debut. That was a long time where the only players who came through were Obita, Hector, Tshibola and Cooper, and that wasn't due to a lack of supply.

Since then things have got a bit better but I don't think East, Osho, Howe or Watson are great examples of the opportunities available. Even Barrett is someone who we clearly didn't get the best of except when Gomes was at the club. Not entirely our fault mind.

Loader and Olise are the big marks in our favour, and I think Nolan was probably in the same talent bracket as them, but so were a lot of players who weren't given much chance here. IMO if he decided he wanted first team football then he probably looked at people like Jack Stacey and decided that was his best bet. Good luck to him. Given his injury record and that we don't always use wingers, I don't think we can kick ourselves too hard.

Yeah there was definitely a dip, but even so you list 4 players in that dip. ANd we could absolutely do more, I'm a great advocate for the idea that many more of our young players could and should have got more opportunity, especially given some of the signings we made... but it's the idea that we'll see an exodus of young players the club want to stay because there's no opportunities I just can't accept.

Watson's an odd one because he seemed to be making a decent fist of a break through despite Gunter giving very little opportunity to take, and then seems to have fallen off a cliff rather than just been stifled and overlooked. Osho really didn't impress me in pre-season. Agree on Barrett. It's early days for quite a few of the current crop, you never really know how it'll go. Who'd have thought RIno or Richards would have over 40 appearances 18 months ago?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jan 2020 20:11

Watson never seemed to fully recover from that knee injury - was certainly on the verge under Stam but then basically missed a year if memory serves me right

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 25 Jan 2020 10:58

Royals and Racers Big game for the U18`s next Saturday morning January 25th when they play Everton in the quarter final of the Premier league U18 cup KO 11am at Bearwood. Extra time and penalties to decide if necessary.

Team
Collins
Sackey
Samuels
Osorio
Stickland
Abbey
Hamilton
Pendlebury
Melvin-Lambert
Lawless
McGiff
Subs
Holden
Turkson
Neves
Trialist
Anderson

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 25 Jan 2020 11:18

Royals 0 Everton 1 4th minute goal.
1-1 20 mins Melvin-Lambert
2-1 26mins Melvin- Lambert again !!

The Cube

by The Cube » 25 Jan 2020 11:42

Royals and Racers is no doubt surprised and pleased to see that the Reading FC ACademy Twitter is actually providing game updates. But because it's not on the standard fixture lists there's no coverage on flashscores.co.uk and the like.

It's still 2-1 to Reading as per most recent tweet.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 25 Jan 2020 12:06

The Cube Royals and Racers is no doubt surprised and pleased to see that the Reading FC ACademy Twitter is actually providing game updates. But because it's not on the standard fixture lists there's no coverage on flashscores.co.uk and the like.

It's still 2-1 to Reading as per most recent tweet.

Yes pleasantly surprised- no preview on website but i suppose we can`t have everything !!

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 25 Jan 2020 12:15

2-2 49 mins
F-T 2-2 Extra time and then pens if necessary.
H-T ET 2-2 15 mins left then pens !!

7492 posts