The Adkins Sack/Resignation Countdown Thread

361 posts
One8Seven1

Re: The Adkins Sack/Resignation Countdown Thread

by One8Seven1 » 03 Nov 2013 17:12

winchester_royal The lack of a meaningful connection between NA and the fans will prove to be his undoing if performances start to consistently deteriate. It's not necessarily his fault, it was always going to be difficult coming into a club with which you'd been rivals with 12 months earlier. Even I, someone most will consider to be an Adkins apologist, don't feel as much affection for him as I did for Bri while he was here.

But of course you don't. McDermott had been here what, a decade in total? Of course fans wont have the same connection with any manager who is not 'one of us'. That said, Adkins is clearly very passionate about the game, about his players, and about the club as a whole and often refers to us all being united in the challenge ahead. There are a lot of managers out there who make far less efforts to bond with the supporters.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 03 Nov 2013 17:16

Coppell wasn't "one of us".....

There must be something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about - I don't think he should be sacked/resigned at this time, but saying "we're 5th" and not o worry is a daft response. Lose on Saturday and we tumble down the league, it's that close behind us and we're already well off the leaders. The Championship isn't a tough league, there are 2 or 3 good teams and the rest are middling to rubbish. We're currently a "middling" team. Adkins needs to concentrate on sorting out the players who are fit and who will play, rather than concerning himself how many away fans are present at Sheffield Wednesday, imo.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Nov 2013 17:19

Schards#2 Coppell wasn't "one of us".....

There must be something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about - I don't think he should be sacked/resigned at this time, but saying "we're 5th" and not o worry is a daft response. Lose on Saturday and we tumble down the league, it's that close behind us and we're already well off the leaders. The Championship isn't a tough league, there are 2 or 3 good teams and the rest are middling to rubbish. We're currently a "middling" team. Adkins needs to concentrate on sorting out the players who are fit and who will play, rather than concerning himself how many away fans are present at Sheffield Wednesday, imo.

^^ that was me btw, Schards had left himself logged in and I thought I was logged in. :oops:

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 03 Nov 2013 17:20

Schards#2 Coppell wasn't "one of us".....

He is loved for his achievements here, but there many idiots constantly criticising him before he took us up as well. It's the nature of our fans, they never realise just how good they have it.

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 03 Nov 2013 17:24

Royal Lady The Championship isn't a tough league, there are 2 or 3 good teams and the rest are middling to rubbish.

Honestly, you've outdone yourself once again! Yes it is a tough league. I can reel off 4 teams who look a great deal better than we do, for a start, and then it's all about 12 other sides all more than good enough (we're in that 12) who can make the play-offs. It's one of the most competitive leagues in Europe; to say it's not a tough league is a bizarre comment to make.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Nov 2013 17:26

:|

The Premier Leage is a tough league, it's always the same 4 or 5 who finish in the top 4 or 5. The Championship has some utter drivel - just cos we can't beat them, doesn't make it a tough league.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 03 Nov 2013 17:47

One8Seven1
winchester_royal The lack of a meaningful connection between NA and the fans will prove to be his undoing if performances start to consistently deteriate. It's not necessarily his fault, it was always going to be difficult coming into a club with which you'd been rivals with 12 months earlier. Even I, someone most will consider to be an Adkins apologist, don't feel as much affection for him as I did for Bri while he was here.

But of course you don't. McDermott had been here what, a decade in total? Of course fans wont have the same connection with any manager who is not 'one of us'. That said, Adkins is clearly very passionate about the game, about his players, and about the club as a whole and often refers to us all being united in the challenge ahead. There are a lot of managers out there who make far less efforts to bond with the supporters.

I'm not saying he doesn't made an effort, and don't get me wrong I like everything he he's doing in terms of the development of the club itself, but he's not 'lovable' in the same way that SSC or Bri were.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it may explain why a fair few are yet to warm to him.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 03 Nov 2013 17:53

winchester_royal
One8Seven1

I'm not saying he doesn't made an effort, and don't get me wrong I like everything he he's doing in terms of the development of the club itself, but he's not 'lovable' in the same way that SSC or Bri were.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it may explain why a fair few are yet to warm to him.

I think the main reason some choose not to warm to him is because of their unwavering love for Brian McDermott. Not every manager is liked as much as Coppell or McDermott. Pardew was marmite, as was McGhee, yet both were very good for us. Adkins is marmite, but very talented marmite at that.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Nov 2013 17:56

Tbf, people didn't take to Coppell straight away. I remember Palace coming to the Mad Stad and singing his name, while all the Reading fans were wondering what all the fuss was about.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 03 Nov 2013 17:59

Pepe the Horseman Tbf, people didn't take to Coppell straight away. I remember Palace coming to the Mad Stad and singing his name, while all the Reading fans were wondering what all the fuss was about.

seem to remember three 3-0 drubbings in his first 4 games including at home to bottom club Wimbledon

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Nov 2013 17:59

I loved him from the off - I knew he was going to be great for us - I don't remember anyone around me at the Mad Stad being, like, :| at his appointment.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Nov 2013 18:00

Rewind 9 years, change Adkins to Coppell and you wouldn't notice the difference on here.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Nov 2013 18:01

I remember him getting a hell of a lot of stick in the early days for not being animated enough.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Nov 2013 18:01

windermere_royal
Pepe the Horseman Tbf, people didn't take to Coppell straight away. I remember Palace coming to the Mad Stad and singing his name, while all the Reading fans were wondering what all the fuss was about.

seem to remember three 3-0 drubbings in his first 4 games including at home to bottom club Wimbledon

I suppose the difference was that we didn't expect to be in the Prem within a couple of years, I certainly didn't - whereas now, we've been there twice and we feel we should be back there again. Or something.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 03 Nov 2013 18:10

One8Seven1 I think the main reason some choose not to warm to him is because of their unwavering love for Brian McDermott. Not every manager is liked as much as Coppell or McDermott. Pardew was marmite, as was McGhee, yet both were very good for us. Adkins is marmite, but very talented marmite at that.

Fair enough. I'm too young to remember the early fan reaction to those appointments. 8)

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 03 Nov 2013 18:25

As long as the ghost of McDermott lingers anyone who comes here and manages us is going to be considered, let me see what was written about NA earlier, ah yes a " smug, perma-tanned tw@t who can never give a straight, honest or indeed any answer" no one discounts the outstanding achievements of McDermott when he was here, but we were pretty dire, one dimensional and many times clueless when we got to play in the big boys league. But hey ho he has gone now to new pastures in Leeds, so for hells sake lets get behind the guy in charge now instead of continually making comparisons.

Like it or lump it Adkins is the manager now, who, I have no doubt is suffering from the behind the scenes issues and uncertaintys that are presently concerning many supporters.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 03 Nov 2013 19:03

I'm behind Adkins 100% - my biggest fear would be that he resigns because of lack of investment ... but think there's no-one obvious who could do a better job than him at the moment.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 03 Nov 2013 19:41

What a totally dumb thread.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Nov 2013 19:57

Royal Lady I loved him from the off - I knew he was going to be great for us - I don't remember anyone around me at the Mad Stad being, like, :| at his appointment.

Me too
The opposite was true for Adkins
Still struggle to sing Nigel Adkins barmy Army
But prepared to give him much more time, barring any more thrashings

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 03 Nov 2013 20:24

windermere_royal

including at home to bottom club Wimbledon

My first Reading game! Was thoroughly shit.

361 posts