Madejski comments on club ownership

385 posts
strap
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Madejski comments on club ownership

by strap » 03 Jan 2014 14:42

Uke The first thing an American owner will probably do is rename our franchise as the "Thames Valley Royals" and move us to Slough because it's nearer Heathrow

More than happy to be corrected, but from the evidence of other American owners of English football clubs, the first thing they would do would be to load the debt they used to buy the club onto the club itself.

Obviously they would have to pay off Mr Mad's loans first, (assuming both AZ and SJM sell up), but the precedent was set at Manure. "Be careful what you wish for" is a saying I believe from across the pond, and I would imagine very true if an American t/o transpires!

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 03 Jan 2014 14:46

Harpers So Solid Crew would be dollars surely if Americans.

£££££££££££££ is probably about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in dollars, hth

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 03 Jan 2014 15:54

southbank1871 Probably a consortium led by Bernard Madoff.

Is he related to Jobi McMadoff ?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 03 Jan 2014 15:58

floyd__streete
Uke Committed to the long term future of RFC by selling up?

You're clutching at straws.

Uke What was the actual quote then? If you don't know then don't pretend you do.

I heard the actual interview myself, as it happens. Madj sounded shifty and uncertain during said interview, the only thing he said with certainty was that AZ was committed to the club.

So - is he naive or a liar? Bit of both, I'd say.

Probably the fact he couldn't say anything either way, so he plumped for the "not unduly concerned" non-lie non-statement

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Jan 2014 16:00

floyd__streete
Uke Committed to the long term future of RFC by selling up?

You're clutching at straws.

Uke What was the actual quote then? If you don't know then don't pretend you do.

I heard the actual interview myself, as it happens. Madj sounded shifty and uncertain during said interview, the only thing he said with certainty was that AZ was committed to the club.

So - is he naive or a liar? Bit of both, I'd say.

Did he say that AZ was committed to the club or did he say that he and AZ both had a common interest in wanting to see the club promoted to the PL again? Subtle but massive difference. His words/answers (and probably the questions themselves) were very carefully scripted. I wouldn't say he lied but I don't think we were told the full truth. An awful lot could be read (probably very correctly) into not only how he said things but also from what he didn't say.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 03 Jan 2014 16:03

Uke The first thing an American owner will probably do is rename our franchise as the "Thames Valley Royals" and move us to Slough because it's nearer Heathrow

I'm all in favour of the second part. If the new owners like, I'll meet them at Heathrow and drive them around the local area!

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 03 Jan 2014 16:10

RoyalBlue

I'm all in favour of the second part. If the new owners like, I'll meet them at Heathrow and drive them around the local area!

SL4 - where the Queen lives...

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 03 Jan 2014 16:16

Let's hope this American doesn't think that the Castle was built under the Heathrow flightpath... :shock:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 03 Jan 2014 16:34

Uke
RoyalBlue

SL4 - where the Queen lives...

Yes, she's got loads of room - the Yanks could stick a new stadium in her back garden!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Jan 2014 16:57

The Greeks got into her back garden years ago.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 03 Jan 2014 17:01

Bracknell would be better as it gives the M3 as an option in the event of the usual traffic chaos around the M25. Plus handier if using Gatwick...

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 03 Jan 2014 17:06

No I really don't think so somehow

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 03 Jan 2014 20:21

Ouroboros

Would have the advantage that we could continue calling it the Madstad.

Yes.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Jan 2014 21:30

RoyalBlue Did he say that AZ was committed to the club or did he say that he and AZ both had a common interest in wanting to see the club promoted to the PL again? Subtle but massive difference. His words/answers (and probably the questions themselves) were very carefully scripted. I wouldn't say he lied but I don't think we were told the full truth. An awful lot could be read (probably very correctly) into not only how he said things but also from what he didn't say.

Most definitely this! AZ's dad to fund the wage bill until new owner is confirmed, as investor will repay all of AZ's loans into the club (SJM's were repaid at the time of the original transaction)

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Jan 2014 16:17

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... 79952.aspx

'Progress is being made'

Chairman Sir John Madejski has spoken about potential new investment in Reading Football Club.

Writing in his most recent programme notes, the Chairman said, "Much has been spoken about the ownership status and investment in the club over the last few months.

"I can reassure Royals fans that progress is being made with regards to that, and the most important statement I can make at this moment in time is that we are all very confident about the future at Reading.

"As I say, progress is being made, and it is naturally in the interests of every single person connected to the club to attain promotion back to the Premier League as soon as possible."

Chief Executive Nigel Howe said, "There are a number of parties interested in acquiring ownership of the club.

"Discussions have been ongoing for a number of months and we are hopeful of having funding secured by the end of January, so that we will be able to invest in this transfer window."

I find it odd that Madejski said Anton was committed to RFC in that prior interview (he definitely said that, I wasn't paraphrasing in the OP), perhaps he meant as a supporter? :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jan 2014 17:01

Committed to getting the right deal? :?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 08 Jan 2014 17:35

genome http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/club-update-070114-1279952.aspx

'Progress is being made'

Chairman Sir John Madejski has spoken about potential new investment in Reading Football Club.

Writing in his most recent programme notes, the Chairman said, "Much has been spoken about the ownership status and investment in the club over the last few months.

"I can reassure Royals fans that progress is being made with regards to that, and the most important statement I can make at this moment in time is that we are all very confident about the future at Reading.

"As I say, progress is being made, and it is naturally in the interests of every single person connected to the club to attain promotion back to the Premier League as soon as possible."

Chief Executive Nigel Howe said, "There are a number of parties interested in acquiring ownership of the club.

"Discussions have been ongoing for a number of months and we are hopeful of having funding secured by the end of January, so that we will be able to invest in this transfer window."

I find it odd that Madejski said Anton was committed to RFC in that prior interview (he definitely said that, I wasn't paraphrasing in the OP), perhaps he meant as a supporter? :lol:

Because Madejski clearly thought the Anton could best show his commitment to the future stability of RFC by Fucking off ASAP as he was nothing but a liability (an example being personally negotiating with Sissoko)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 08 Jan 2014 17:47

'Progress is being made'

I maintain that during that interview with Madejski, Anton's 'commitment' was limited to having a common interest in getting Reading back into the PL. However, one thing that Madejski did definitely say during his staged interview was that there would be funding available in the January window. Dellor even made him repeat it for clarity and the word 'definitely' was used in relation to funding being available.

Now, just a week or so later, that has been watered down and we are now being told 'the club are hopeful of having funding secured by the end of January so that we can invest in this transfer window'.

So f*cking typical of the business management of Reading FC. Funding is supposedly there and then nothing materialises. I wouldn't blame Adkins for publically telling Madejski and Anton to stuff their job if they go back on their commitments to him in this manner. As for any potential replacement, who is gong to believe anything they are told with regard to funding to improve the squad?

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 08 Jan 2014 17:50

Agent Balti Let's hope this American doesn't think that the Castle was built under the Heathrow flightpath... :shock:

I hope he doesn't think "Royals" means he's buying into Royalty

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 08 Jan 2014 18:52

RoyalBlue

'Progress is being made'

I maintain that during that interview with Madejski, Anton's 'commitment' was limited to having a common interest in getting Reading back into the PL. However, one thing that Madejski did definitely say during his staged interview was that there would be funding available in the January window. Dellor even made him repeat it for clarity and the word 'definitely' was used in relation to funding being available.

Now, just a week or so later, that has been watered down and we are now being told 'the club are hopeful of having funding secured by the end of January so that we can invest in this transfer window'.

So f*cking typical of the business management of Reading FC. Funding is supposedly there and then nothing materialises. I wouldn't blame Adkins for publically telling Madejski and Anton to stuff their job if they go back on their commitments to him in this manner. As for any potential replacement, who is gong to believe anything they are told with regard to funding to improve the squad?

Funds were going to be available last January

Funds were going to be available last transfer window

SJM was definitely getting his cash for his share a couple of months ago

Funds were going to be available this transfer window

Wouldn't be surprised if TSI stall on the deal until after the window shuts to get an extra £3.64 for their shares.

Or it could be the dispute over the "Operating Costs" they wanted to charge...

385 posts