Atmosphere

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

Atmosphere

by Theroyalbox » 24 Dec 2013 15:18

Interesting comments on twitter from Shaun Cummings and Gareth Mccleary both trying to say that the negative atmosphere does not help the players, I personally think that it swings both ways, if the players don't do anything to make the fans excited then there's nothing to cheer about. But then booing and negative chants don't help the players perform.

I feel the club lacks an anthem. When the players aren't performing they need a something to sing about , when you to other clubs they have something to sing about something anthemic.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Atmosphere

by Cureton's Volley » 24 Dec 2013 15:27

God save the Queen?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Dec 2013 15:42

500 miles.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 24 Dec 2013 15:50

sandman 500 miles.

I think I heard them play it once after they decided that. Can they please have a different mix to the one playing before games for the last 5 years though?

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 24 Dec 2013 16:07

Always thought the atmosphere at games was made worse by the overly loud and enthusiastic "BACK THE BOYZ" type artificial hype and predictable choice of music (eg "Right Here, Right Now")

Ultimately though, without bringing back standing areas, there's little that can be done in our out of town, boring modern stadium.

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:.

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 24 Dec 2013 16:15

Higher rates of alcohol consumption before the game may also help.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 24 Dec 2013 16:20

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. Higher rates of alcohol consumption before the game may also help.

Yes out of plastic pint glasses in the Jazz Cafe

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 24 Dec 2013 16:31

We could try this before the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPLk5mJ1D4

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 24 Dec 2013 16:34

Fair play to the both of them. Our fans seem oblivious to the fact that when we're struggling we need to sing up, try and encourage the team; not boo and hiss like a bunch of spoilt little kids. Our support can be the wittiest, but it can also be the worst when they're needed most, and ultimately we're our own worst enemy!

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 24 Dec 2013 16:39

The problem is a lack of cheer leaders (I don't mean girls in mini skirts dancing on the touch line). But I mean literally a group or person who can lead the cheers in a non-artificial way (drummer, band etc) and generate a natural atmosphere. So we are reliant on the players lifting us. But we can't fulfil our part of the bargain when they need us to lift them.

In short we are too self-concious and so the negative ninnies who think it's their right to act like cocks will always be heard when perhaps they would be drowned out by a more involved crowd.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Dec 2013 16:46

Perhaps when they start playing like a Reading team they'll be supported like one.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 24 Dec 2013 16:47

*sigh*

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 24 Dec 2013 16:56

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. Higher rates of alcohol consumption before the game may also help.

Agreed...lower the prices in the Jazz and I'll sing any old shite for you...

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Dec 2013 17:04

You sigh away all you want but it's true. They haven't got a connection with the crowd. There's no Sigurdsson, no Murty, no Gunnarsson, Little, Doyle, Cureton, Forster, Parkinson, Hislop, Gilkes, Osborn, Quinn, Senior, Hicks, Friday, the list goes on and on. They play slow, ponderous, boring football and they don't seem to have much unity amongst themselves. This team and the way they play can be summed up with one simple statement from Alex Pearce, "we're not looking to score every time we get the ball".

Easy for you to just sigh with that superior attitude that so many on here have but not so easy to actually acknowledge the truth. A lot of the positivity from certain quarters seems so forced.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 24 Dec 2013 17:15

sandman You sigh away all you want but it's true. They haven't got a connection with the crowd. There's no Sigurdsson, no Murty, no Gunnarsson, Little, Doyle, Cureton, Forster, Parkinson, Hislop, Gilkes, Osborn, Quinn, Senior, Hicks, Friday, the list goes on and on. They play slow, ponderous, boring football and they don't seem to have much unity amongst themselves. This team and the way they play can be summed up with one simple statement from Alex Pearce, "we're not looking to score every time we get the ball".

Easy for you to just sigh with that superior attitude that so many on here have but not so easy to actually acknowledge the truth. A lot of the positivity from certain quarters seems so forced.

I sigh because I recognise the exact same arguments as from 3/4 years ago when atmosphere and performances (under Coppell, but mostly Rodgers) were shocking. First season because of the relegation hang over, and then because Rodgers was trying to change the style of football being played and it wasn't clicking.

Luckily for Adkins, we are getting much better results than under Rodgers, Adkins has an advantage of having much better players in midfield though.

Do you want to know why you feel no connection with the players?

Because for a number of them we've just experienced a crap year and relegation, the other are newly on the scene and we haven't won or nearly won anything with them yet. That's it.
Last edited by ZacNaloen on 24 Dec 2013 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 24 Dec 2013 17:23

ZacNaloen The problem is a lack of cheer leaders (I don't mean girls in mini skirts dancing on the touch line). But I mean literally a group or person who can lead the cheers in a non-artificial way (drummer, band etc) and generate a natural atmosphere. So we are reliant on the players lifting us. But we can't fulfil our part of the bargain when they need us to lift them.

In short we are too self-concious and so the negative ninnies who think it's their right to act like cocks will always be heard when perhaps they would be drowned out by a more involved crowd.

Exactly this. It's like watching comedy on your own. You may be laughing inwardly, but without a group it's rare that you'll belly laugh.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 24 Dec 2013 19:47

Stuka Ultimately though, without bringing back standing areas, there's little that can be done in our out of town, boring modern stadium.

I used to think that too. However, most of Y25 seems to stand up, or at least large portions. Those who choose not to stand could do so, but if they did they'd still stand there silently.

ZacNaloen The problem is a lack of cheer leaders (I don't mean girls in mini skirts dancing on the touch line). But I mean literally a group or person who can lead the cheers in a non-artificial way (drummer, band etc) and generate a natural atmosphere.

We do have a fair amount of "cheer leaders".

The problem is that they are the opinionated idiots who stand at the top of Y25 (funny as that includes me). But the ones I'm talking about is the ones who were screaming "ohhhhh adam le fondre", when sharp missed the penalty. And were also boo'ing, and started a chant of "That was embarassing".

I've said before, the problem isn't necessarily the volume, but it's the attitude. Instead of "your support is shit", "go back to your shit hole", and "who are you" towards the away fans, we should be more pro-RFC.

It's like... we score a goal. Instead of backing the team, the chants are ALL directed at the away supporters. I'm all up for a bit of that, but the support should be more for the team.

Away games I really enjoy as it seems much more positive (obviously), but wish that would be mirrored at home.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 24 Dec 2013 19:51

ZacNaloen Do you want to know why you feel no connection with the players?

Because for a number of them we've just experienced a crap year and relegation, the other are newly on the scene and we haven't won or nearly won anything with them yet. That's it.

But there aren't many players in the team who seem to be putting themselves on the line for the club either. This is how I feel a connection to a player (Legs and Karacan are good current examples, Murty, Bryn, Doyler, Long, Kitson, Parky, to name but a few in the past). I like players with the warrior spirit even if they are not the most skillful. I think Pog has shown great spirit since the end of August

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Dec 2013 20:14

ZacNaloen Do you want to know why you feel no connection with the players?

Is it? Thanks for telling me what and how to think.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Dec 2013 20:31

3points But there aren't many players in the team who seem to be putting themselves on the line for the club either. This is how I feel a connection to a player (Legs and Karacan are good current examples, Murty, Bryn, Doyler, Long, Kitson, Parky, to name but a few in the past). I like players with the warrior spirit even if they are not the most skillful. I think Pog has shown great spirit since the end of August

This.

Pog is doing alright but still can't quite shake the feeling he's only playing well to secure a move in January. Jobi is the only one who I think anything positive about and he's wrongly being frozen out by Adkins.