Why can't we create?!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Why can't we create?!

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jan 2014 22:00

These are very much Brendan Rogers-at-his- worst-days once again.

Do we have the bollox to persevere this time?

The players aren't blameless

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 01 Jan 2014 22:03

He is getting it wrong, currently. He should abandon his style for now until he has the players to play his way.

I strongly believe he is still the right man and will get it right in the end.

He want's quick thinking and intelligent midfielders - Guthrie just slows the game down and is playing how he wanted to play last season when Brian got pissed off with him.

He needs ball playing central defenders and Bridge needs to be fit.

Get rid of

HRK
Akpan
Guthrie (if he fails to adapt)
Kelly
ALF
Leigertwood
Pearce
Kaspers
Jobi
Roberts
Pog - simply too costly and not mobile enough
Blackman - we will see if he is good enough in time

Freshen up with

Ball playing CB x2
2 x CM, one defensive and one attacking
1 pacey left back
1 pacey right back
2 young and hungry wingers to fight Drenthe and McCleary
2 strikers - young and hungry

This will probably take 2/3 windows to happen - give him time. He will get it right.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 01 Jan 2014 22:13

SPARTA Guthrie.

He picks the ball up in deep positions and central positions, yet how often does he come forward with the ball and look for the through-ball, or to slip it out wide? He only ever seems to slow the pace down, which is the opposite to what Adkins has stated he is asking of the team. Guthrie is slow to see what's around him, and then that moment passes us by, and he plays it sideways or backwards. Lack of urgency and vision and it holds us back.

Did you notice the difference Taylor made when he came on? Coming forward with the ball (an instant improvement), being aware of what was around him and he made use of it by feeding the left side. We immediately looked a lot brighter, and started giving Forest problems - largely through Blackman who was very impressive today.

I'd like to see more of Taylor in this side. That someone that can link midfield with attack - something we have been missing for far too long!

Agree. Guthrie has contributed nothing for a long time. Just because he can occasionally hit a long ball doesn't make him a good footballer. Overrated and even his hairstyle is de-rigeur. Get in a good midfielder in the window and I think you will see a completely different team

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 01 Jan 2014 22:24

A McCarthy, W Bridge, C Gunter, A Pearce, S Morrison, J McAnuff (H Robson-Kanu, 74), D Guthrie, R Drenthe (D Williams, 68), J Karacan (G McCleary, 83), A Le Fondre, N Blackman.

This is the team that tore into Watford for 60+ minutes. Missing Karacan's energy, but interestingly we played with a very fluid 4-2-3-1 formation. We've lost a lot of that energy.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Jan 2014 23:04

We look totally disjointed, lacking drive and direction and without a settled lineup of formation we looked like a team that haven't played together before. That's not a great indictment of Adkins work on the training ground but it's probably as much a function of the problems we've had getting and keeping players fit (still an element of blame on Adkins and his staff for that IMO).

Basically we look like we're playing within ourselves far too often and without the real intent to take the game to teams even though I'm convinced the players are capable of playing the way that Adkins wants them to.

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 01 Jan 2014 23:27

We play with four defenders and two defensive midfielders so there's nobody to get the ball from the defence to the attackers. Wingers who seem afraid to take players on (McCleary was unstoppable when we signed him, why has he faded away in the last two months?), creative players who aren't using their creativity (playing the same passes, making the same runs) and generally playing with no tempo or urgency at all, isn't helping.

It's hard to tell where the negative aspect to our play is coming from, manager, players or ownership, but Adkins sounded rather like a man trying too hard to impose his authority, on the radio this evening. There were some oddly jarring undertones to what he was saying.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Jan 2014 23:30

ILoveMoonPig We play with four defenders and two defensive midfielders so there's nobody to get the ball from the defence to the attackers.

There's two midfielders perfectly placed to get on the ball and 'play it through the lines' and get the ball into the more attacking minded players.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Jan 2014 23:33

3points A McCarthy, W Bridge, C Gunter, A Pearce, S Morrison, J McAnuff (H Robson-Kanu, 74), D Guthrie, R Drenthe (D Williams, 68), J Karacan (G McCleary, 83), A Le Fondre, N Blackman.

This is the team that tore into Watford for 60+ minutes. Missing Karacan's energy, but interestingly we played with a very fluid 4-2-3-1 formation. We've lost a lot of that energy.

Spot on. The personnel aren't particularly the problem - and in Guthrie, GMac, Le Fondre, Drenthe, Pog we have some of the (technically) most able players in the league, alongside Jobi, Jem, Williams who have terrific engines.

But whatever we did against Watford, we aren't doing now. No fluidity at all, no thought or movement off the ball.

It's not about 'Guthrie slows the game down' - of anyone in the squad, he's the one most prepared to collect it, look for a pass, give it, and move. But he doesn't have that luxury in a team playing like zombies.
Last edited by Sanguine on 01 Jan 2014 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jan 2014 23:37

Class players Sang

Not playing to their standard required...so what will it take to motivate them?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Jan 2014 23:40

It's unfortunately looking more and more like the players have had it 'trained out of them'.

Take McCleary, one of the quickest players in the Football League, could make Rougier dizzy with his stepovers, but he only seems to get the ball by accident, and doesn't get to the by-line. It's difficult to believe he just isn't doing it despite Adkins pleading with him to. The team has one gameplan, it's totally rigid, doesn't appear to be about movement or flair at all.

I don't know why we've gone down that route - Adkins' Southampton were decent to watch, but then he had players like Lallana, Schneiderlin, and Cork to pick every week, as well as the most all-round forward in the league in Lambert.
Last edited by Sanguine on 01 Jan 2014 23:44, edited 2 times in total.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 01 Jan 2014 23:42

No confidence on a the ball, lack of pace in attack, lack of a left sided full back, lack of players comfortable of receiving the ball to feet, lack of creative freedom for the players.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Jan 2014 23:44

LoyalRoyal22
Gunter comments a disgrace. Struggled slighty in the Prem, playing in a poor team.

Hello there Chris.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 01 Jan 2014 23:48

ZacNaloen We do everything too slow. That is why.

This, and i think that stems from a lack of terrier style players. We miss the likes of Karacan, Tabb and Hunt. If you look past Gorkss loss of gracefulness he still has a certain energy that the rest of the team lacks.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 Jan 2014 00:01

Thought today how much we could have used Noel Hunt's energy, running into the channels and winning hos fair share of headers

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 02 Jan 2014 00:02

paddy20
SPARTA Guthrie.

He picks the ball up in deep positions and central positions, yet how often does he come forward with the ball and look for the through-ball, or to slip it out wide? He only ever seems to slow the pace down, which is the opposite to what Adkins has stated he is asking of the team. Guthrie is slow to see what's around him, and then that moment passes us by, and he plays it sideways or backwards. Lack of urgency and vision and it holds us back.

Did you notice the difference Taylor made when he came on? Coming forward with the ball (an instant improvement), being aware of what was around him and he made use of it by feeding the left side. We immediately looked a lot brighter, and started giving Forest problems - largely through Blackman who was very impressive today.

I'd like to see more of Taylor in this side. That someone that can link midfield with attack - something we have been missing for far too long!

Agree. Guthrie has contributed nothing for a long time. Just because he can occasionally hit a long ball doesn't make him a good footballer. Overrated and even his hairstyle is de-rigeur. Get in a good midfielder in the window and I think you will see a completely different team

This is slightly naive. Although Guthrie has been out if sorts of late, that doesn't mean he is to blame solely for the lack of services. Williams, what does he bring to each game? What is his role? Baird, hasn't done much since he's been here. Akpan, laughable. McCleary, inconsistent. McAnuff, inconsistent. Obita, inconsistent. Blackman, inconsistent. See the pattern?

I remember the first third of the season Guthrie being MOTM in several games according to most on here, now he's back to being the reason why our midfield is so shit? I also remember Pogs being public enemy number one in our first few games of the season. How some of you and your memories work is beyond me.

Our whole team has been shit. Contribution should come from the entire team, including our goalkeeper, not just one player who's easy to pick on because of his fall out of the previous manager and wait for it........because he has a silly haircut. I bet he's thinking 'thank oxf*rd I'm not Tom Huddlestone' at this moment in time.

How short your memories are at times.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 Jan 2014 00:08

AirRaidSiren I bet he's thinking 'thank oxf*rd I'm not Tom Huddlestone' at this moment in time.

Wish he was Tom Huddlestone tbf

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 02 Jan 2014 00:13

3points
AirRaidSiren I bet he's thinking 'thank oxf*rd I'm not Tom Huddlestone' at this moment in time.

It was a sarcastic comment due to the haircut. In saying that, Huddlestone hasn't done much at all for Hull with exception of his two last games.

1 goal, 1 assist in 19 games? Hell yeah...set the world on fire.

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 02 Jan 2014 00:22

Hoop Blah
ILoveMoonPig We play with four defenders and two defensive midfielders so there's nobody to get the ball from the defence to the attackers.

There's two midfielders perfectly placed to get on the ball and 'play it through the lines' and get the ball into the more attacking minded players.

Quite right, they are well placed. But in my opinion, this doesn't seem to be happening. The ball just gets played back to someone in the back four. I preferred it today when Drenthe sat in the attacking midfield role, would rather have him there and only one of either Guthrie and Willaims playing in DM.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 02 Jan 2014 00:35

AirRaidSiren
3points

It was a sarcastic comment due to the haircut. In saying that, Huddlestone hasn't done much at all for Hull with exception of his two last games.

lol his role isn't to assist or score

It's like complaining that your full backs haven't scored 10+ goals this season

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 02 Jan 2014 00:41

TBM
AirRaidSiren
3points Wish he was Tom Huddlestone tbf

lol his role isn't to assist or score

It's like complaining that your full backs haven't scored 10+ goals this season

Uh? Tom Huddlestone is a midfielder, right? So what's that to do with full backs and blah de blah?
Last edited by AirRaidSiren on 02 Jan 2014 00:44, edited 1 time in total.