20%
Other
6%

Total votes: 160
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: What's to blame?

by bcubed » 07 Jan 2014 14:28

BraisingsteakRoyal Which of our players specifically do people think are unable to play 'Adkins way', which I'm assuming we're boiling down to essentially being able to quickly receive and pass the ball into effective areas?

If we're talking about Pearce/Gorkks/Morrison, then there are very few CBs (at this level) who can pass it effectively. Our full backs are either internationals (in the case of Bridge and *ahem* Gunter), or came through decent academies (Cummings) - so you'd assume that they can do it if asked. I can't be arsed to go through the midfielders and forwards as you'd expect professional footballers in these positions (unless they're water-carrier / ball harriers like Karacan/Leigertwood) to have come through solely on their technical ability in touch, passing, shooting etc.

It seems strange to me because having spent a fair bit of time watching the academy boys* at most age groups - they are all about the playing it out from the back, quick, sharp passing and movement - so you'd think anyone that came through there would have had that type of play drilled into them.

I guess i'm saying that I don't buy into this group of players not being able to do it. I just think it's going to take this season for them to become comfortable on the ball individually, probably hit rock bottom results wise, then they can go again next year without the expectation of an immediate Prem return. It's almost like in the last periods of games when we revert to going more direct the players see that we create more so are probably struggling to buy into the system themselves...

* No Watkins-o - My son plays up there #humblebrag

you mean this isnt rock bottom?!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 07 Jan 2014 14:31

Eaststandman Hardly seems credible that the whole squad is incapable of managing the basic building blocks of their chosen profession, you'd probably have to look elsewhere for a serious common denominator shirley? :?

its almost as if we need someone to galvanise them into playing as a unit, getting the most from their skills, and motivating them to play to their best of their potential - a sort of manager?!

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 07 Jan 2014 14:44

I blame Alan Pardew.

Most would accept that the Southampton team that went up with us (behind us, lest we forget) after 2011/2012 were overwhelmingly reliant on the goals of Rickie Lambert. We dubbed them a "one-man team" ourselves.

They probably wouldn't have gone up with Lambert, and Adkins almost certainly wouldn't have been our manager without that promotion on his CV.

It was obviously a stroke of genius by Adkins to sign Lambert.

Except Adkins didn't sign Lambert. Alan Pardew did, and was sacked shortly afterwards.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Jan 2014 15:01

The Goat was fed I blame Alan Pardew.

Most would accept that the Southampton team that went up with us (behind us, lest we forget) after 2011/2012 were overwhelmingly reliant on the goals of Rickie Lambert. We dubbed them a "one-man team" ourselves.

They probably wouldn't have gone up with Lambert, and Adkins almost certainly wouldn't have been our manager without that promotion on his CV.

It was obviously a stroke of genius by Adkins to sign Lambert.

Except Adkins didn't sign Lambert. Alan Pardew did, and was sacked shortly afterwards.

I love analysis with hindsight, it's so often a load of bollocks.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 07 Jan 2014 15:26

So, which bit do you disagree with?

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 07 Jan 2014 16:40

Lambert was a great signing by Pardew.

Not surprising seeing as he was also the genius who brought us Jamie Cureton (what a bargain)

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Jan 2014 16:43

Cureton's Volley Lambert was a great signing by Pardew.

Not surprising seeing as he was also the genius who brought us Jamie Cureton (what a bargain)

Pards in the transfer market at Reading > Brian in the transfer market at Reading > Adkins in the transfer market at Reading > Burns in the transfer market at Reading.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Jan 2014 16:58

floyd__streete

Pards in the transfer market at Reading > Brian in the transfer market at Reading > Adkins in the transfer market at Reading > Burns in the transfer market at Reading.

Harsh!

Burns signed Forster and Murty. Gives him the edge over Adkins.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Jan 2014 18:51

bcubed
BraisingsteakRoyal Which of our players specifically do people think are unable to play 'Adkins way', which I'm assuming we're boiling down to essentially being able to quickly receive and pass the ball into effective areas?

If we're talking about Pearce/Gorkks/Morrison, then there are very few CBs (at this level) who can pass it effectively. Our full backs are either internationals (in the case of Bridge and *ahem* Gunter), or came through decent academies (Cummings) - so you'd assume that they can do it if asked. I can't be arsed to go through the midfielders and forwards as you'd expect professional footballers in these positions (unless they're water-carrier / ball harriers like Karacan/Leigertwood) to have come through solely on their technical ability in touch, passing, shooting etc.

It seems strange to me because having spent a fair bit of time watching the academy boys* at most age groups - they are all about the playing it out from the back, quick, sharp passing and movement - so you'd think anyone that came through there would have had that type of play drilled into them.

I guess i'm saying that I don't buy into this group of players not being able to do it. I just think it's going to take this season for them to become comfortable on the ball individually, probably hit rock bottom results wise, then they can go again next year without the expectation of an immediate Prem return. It's almost like in the last periods of games when we revert to going more direct the players see that we create more so are probably struggling to buy into the system themselves...

* No Watkins-o - My son plays up there #humblebrag

you mean this isnt rock bottom?!

In our last ten games we've won 3, drawn 2 and lost 5, it's nowhere near rock bottom.

In our first ten matches of 2011/12, we won 3, drawn 2 and... oh... lost 5. Coincidentally, we only picked up two wins in the next seven matches after that, and we had 39 points after 24 games, compared to 35 at the moment. And I'm pretty sure that the football we were playing in that first half of the season was dire, there was serious frustration amongst the supporters. It was soon forgotten, though, wasn't it?

Just saying, look at the bigger picture. Our fans just can't seem to look past the last few games. We're on a bad run, but there's nothing to say we can't pick it back up. We have picked up some decent results so far this season, maybe somewhat fortuitously (again, see 2011/12) but Adkins is still building the squad.

What I would say is, if the situation is still the same in a couple of months, then take a look at his position. But for now, stop whining, we haven't "hit rock bottom", just stick it out for now and get behind the team.

PS. This post wasn't directed entirely at you bcubed, I just feel our fans need to take a step back sometimes and stop with the knee-jerk ism.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Jan 2014 19:25

It's not knee jerk. He's not good enough for this club, doesn't fit in and never will. Too smarmy.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 07 Jan 2014 19:34

sandman
floyd__streete

Harsh!

'Greed for those two alone!

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 07 Jan 2014 19:35

sandman It's not knee jerk. He's not good enough for this club, doesn't fit in and never will. Too smarmy.

And we had a uber-dour Liverpudlian who barely cracked a smile and hardly endeared himself to any fan on a personal level. I wonder what he did for the club?

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 07 Jan 2014 19:38

Agent Balti
sandman It's not knee jerk. He's not good enough for this club, doesn't fit in and never will. Too smarmy.

And we had a uber-dour Liverpudlian who barely cracked a smile and hardly endeared himself to any fan on a personal level. I wonder what he did for the club?

I happened to find his modesty very endearing!

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 07 Jan 2014 19:39

Cureton's Volley
Agent Balti

I happened to find his modesty very endearing!

Sssh...don't ruin the moment! ;)

Actually, Coppell was hugely entertaining at the fans' forums.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Jan 2014 19:39

How can you possibly judge that? Do you work at the club? Know him on a personal level?

If by hook or by crook we string a good number of wins together, which has been done before remember, I very much doubt you will be saying that. That's why I think it is knee jerk.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 07 Jan 2014 19:44

sandman
floyd__streete

Harsh!

Yeah right so last winters dross signings are better than Bridge/Drenthe/Baird etc?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 Jan 2014 16:23

In my view the manager is to blame mostly because it is he who trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

However, he is also contending with the ownership issue which must be a spectre haunting the club and players.

I think we just have to write this season off, hopefully survive relegation (we probably only need another 15-17 points) and get rid of all the older out of contact players next summer and then the whole club needs a huge re-think/ reinvestment (depending on ownership). Perhaps Adkins then deserves until next Christmas to see if he can get it right next time round. If not we should "move on".

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 08 Jan 2014 17:08

bcubed
Eaststandman Hardly seems credible that the whole squad is incapable of managing the basic building blocks of their chosen profession, you'd probably have to look elsewhere for a serious common denominator shirley? :?

its almost as if we need someone to galvanise them into playing as a unit, getting the most from their skills, and motivating them to play to their best of their potential - a sort of manager?!

Would be funny if it were that simple, wouldn't it? Could it be? Could it? :wink:

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 08 Jan 2014 17:12

Why is intelligence often mistaken for arrogance by the grossly unintelligent/uneducated and unctuously pious?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Jan 2014 17:13

ZacNaloen unctuously pious

Nice use of... erm, unctuously pious