BFTG Millwall

160 posts
CayeneMatt

BFTG Millwall

by CayeneMatt » 16 Sep 2014 22:51

Enjoyable game and carried on from where we left off on Saturday. A nervy 25 mins in the second half when Millwall passed us off the pitch, but 3 points is 3 points.

Norwood again excellent with inch perfect passes out to Mackie.... Who again had no end product. We need GMac back to be more of a threat down the right.

Gunter is still getting caught out of position too often and has developed that cocky swagger. He needs to knucke down again.

Akpan made 1 mistake too many tonight after his improved performance on Saturday. Williams alongside Norwood is a mouthwatering thought.

Cox just gets better and his work rate was top notch mocing deep looking for the ball. The promising we've been in years.

EPR2.0

Re: BFTG Millwall

by EPR2.0 » 16 Sep 2014 22:56

Anyone know what was going down outside at HT? Away from the ground (I think) - lots of bangs and the stench of petrol, people were running over to the fence at the back of the east stand to try and see what was going on but nothing obvious - then strong smell of smoke / petrol fumes in the bowl during the second half...

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 16 Sep 2014 22:58

I saw the second half only on tinterweb.

Honestly thought that Millwall were the better side. Their second goal was shocking from Feds, that would have been a simply catch if he had stayed on his line.

What is encouraging is we seem to have 2 strikers that have a habit of being in the right place at the right time.

I think once we get Williams and Karacan back we will be solid in the middle of the park and if we had a quality center back and left back we would stand a chance competing for promotion.

Things are looking 1000 times better than they were this time 12 months ago and credit is due to Adkins for sticking with it as he is now starting to put a half decent team together.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 16 Sep 2014 23:00

Hector did some good stuff but Fuller got the better of him too often imo. A good experience though which he'll be all the better for.

We weren't particularly good, especially when we stopped bothering to try and play football. The midfield went missing a little bit in the second half and Murray wasn't doing a great job of holding it up.

Norwood very impressive again though. Needs a better partner than Akpan alongside him otherwise we'll get a little bullied in there but his passing is excellent and he sees passes that no one else does. A real find.

Cox MOTM. Best he's played in either spell with us.

Really looking forward to seeing how we do with McCleary in the side. With Norwood and Cox linking midfield and attack he sshould be able to get plenty of good ball. Mackie did today and for all his work and effort he doesn't do an awful lot with it.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 16 Sep 2014 23:10

Mackie looked injured and did have an ice pack on his leg at the final whistle. That may explain why he was just walking around the pitch in the second half.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 16 Sep 2014 23:14

For 20 minutes we bossed it and where worth our two goal lead especially due to a couple of blinding saves from Feds.
Holloway sussed us, hooked one of theirs off and bought on Woolford? They subsequently bossed the next 60 minutes and deserved their goals.

It was crying out for Adkins to change things. Bleedin obvious our game plan wasn't working. His tactics are really baffling at times and he was totally out thought by Holloway who's team where unlucky to lose out in the end (Not that I am complaining mind.)

He finally changed things and we somehow came away with a victory.

Not the best performance, but a winning one. Happy with that.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 16 Sep 2014 23:18

Royality creeps In For 20 minutes we bossed it and where worth our two goal lead especially due to a couple of blinding saves from Feds.
Holloway sussed us, hooked one of theirs off and bought on Woolford?

It was crying out for Adkins to change things.

He changed things and we came away with a victory.

Happy with that.

Well said!!

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 16 Sep 2014 23:19

Fedders my MoM despite an absolute gift of a goal. More than made up for by the number of good saves and the assist for our first goal.
Impressed with Norwood (wasn't at the game Sat so first time seeing him.) One pass to Mackie in the 2nd half was as good as I've seen, ball arrived to him at pace and he pinged it 60 yards straight to Mackie.
Thought Akpan did well for 60 mins, gave the ball away badly and then stopped looking for it. Still the best we have in that role alongside Norwood at the moment and currently doesn't deserve his escape goat status.
It was good to see another erstwhile escape goat come off to warm applause. Blackman won the foul with a great run, finished it with a confident pen and generally put in a shift.
Murray should have done better with the sublime cross from Obita and pulled another decent chance across goal but I can see that he will get goals.
Cox worked his socks off and deserved his brace.
Pleasing to see that at the moment we seem to have goals in us across the forward line, not reliant on one player.

Still a work in progress but I don't think we will be staring relegation down the barrel anytime soon.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 16 Sep 2014 23:22

Up until Millwall scored we looked in control, as soon as they got that goal they took control - a draw would have been a fair result

Not sure why we didn't defend their 2nd goal like it was a corner...

Mackie was off the pace, Cox looked strong and full of energy and Norwoods passing is a joy to behold.

Pog should have come on for Murray as we went getting the ball wide and in to suit Murrays game

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 16 Sep 2014 23:27

Royality creeps In For 20 minutes we bossed it and where worth our two goal lead especially due to a couple of blinding saves from Feds.
Holloway sussed us, hooked one of theirs off and bought on Woolford? They subsequently bossed the next 60 minutes and deserved their goals.

It was crying out for Adkins to change things. Bleedin obvious our game plan wasn't working. His tactics are really baffling at times and he was totally out thought by Holloway who's team where unlucky to lose out in the end (Not that I am complaining mind.)

He finally changed things and we somehow came away with a victory.

Not the best performance, but a winning one. Happy with that.

Yep agree with this completely. I think with McCleary back & one more CM available we could look half decent though. Pleasantly surprised we currently sit 6th. It's anybody's this year.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Sep 2014 23:28

Bit of a scare and good save from Fed first thing then 30 minutes of domination whe we could have had three or four. At nukber 2 we got a bit complacent. Heard someone outside afterwards say we started to try to play everything as a killer ball. Summed up for me by Akpan trying a trick move.
Holloway's sub changed the game and they were suddenly in our face and stopping us play. We had no answer. They were playing into space at the flanks and we couldn't stop them. They were going up for headers two on one with the secind guy picking up the pieces and running in behind. We looked nervy and out of ideas. But our defence is decent and Fed has always been a good shot stopper. Sadly he still can't command his area and that was a terrible attempt to claim from the corner and its 2-2. To be honest though it had been coming and he'd made smart saves, if not always as great as his dive makes them look, to keep us ahead up to that point.

Adkins subs didn't do a lot for me. I thought Pog would have made a better outlet after Murray had worked hard. But Akpan looked shot and was starting to get the usual moronic and unjustified abuse after a good game on the whole. It's not his fault we were outnumbered in midfield and he had no time or out.

Thankfully we got lucky and tucked away a set play very much against the run of play. The better team won, but only just and Millwall can definitely feel a point dropped, if not all three given their dominance for nearly 60 mins. We were nearly totally done tactically. I spose Adkins didn't have much options to shore up midfield. I'd have probably tried a Kuhl & Pog double for Murray and Cox. But what do I know.

Very pleased with yet another three points from a hard fought game during our injury crisis.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 16 Sep 2014 23:30

Is that 2, or 3 goals for Cox outside the box now? He is absolutely perfect for the team, a second striker we've needed, it's really looks like we have an added dimension now. All of the players we've brought in (even Murray) know how to play tidily, they can all pass.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 16 Sep 2014 23:37

Very fortunate to get the three points, for the vast majority of the game Millwall were better than us in every department. Didn't have a good enough view to do proper play ratings but a few performances stuck out for me:

Feds - Couple of great saves, our MOTM despite gifting their second.
Gunter - Great in the first 20, gave way too much space to the attackers after that and was at fault for their first.
Murray - Completely isolated. Looked like a different player to Saturday.
Obita - Very poor second half.
Cox - Superb.

After Holloway made the ballsy move of sticking Woolford on we had no idea how to deal with them. On another day they could have easily and not undeservedly won that.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Sep 2014 23:44

In the first half hour, we were all over them. Cox in particular was excellent and Obita put in one astonishing ball. Mackie and Norwood were quiet, Murray not doing much directly but getting into great positions and probably making Cox's job a lot easier. Akpan was also having one of his better matches.

After that we were really poor and they were pretty good (probably because they took off the terrible defender with a silly first name). The midfield went missing, Gunter was ineffective, and we lost all our creativity leaving Murray a passenger. We didn't deserve a winner but I'm not complaining, excellent routine.

Ratings:
Federici: first half 8.5, second half 5.5. Some very good saves, but seemed to be at fault for the second goal
Gunter 6. Anonymous, weak defensively. One good overlap that came to little. Tbh with Obita in the side he's a bit redundant, we could use someone better defensively to give him more freedom to push on (see Bertrand and Griffin, or to a lesser extent Shorey and Murty)
Hector 6. Not given time on the ball, so his well-struck passes were inaccurate. He's a bit of a walking foul, and I don't think it will be long before a younger player displaces him.
Pearce 7. Solid, one excellent close range block
Obita 8. He can really play. Overlapped well and some great crossing.
Akpan 6.5. His height was pretty useful, and he did the simple stuff well. One slip that looked worse than it was. Didn't control the ball after an excellent tackle once. Hard to hold those against him. Hard to give him a higher rating because he didn't do anything decisive.
Norwood 6. A couple of those flat passes out to Mackie, but a pretty forgettable performance.
Mackie 5.5. Anonymous.
Cox 9. The only reason we got anything out of that match. Had their centre back really worried. Before today I thought he might be better used from the bench, but that
Blackman 7.5. Very good dribbling and a well taken penalty. Faded a bit but that's understandable.
Murray 6.5. Not really in the match, constantly fouled, but great movement

Subs:
Taylor 6.5 - nice to finally see him away from the left wing. Really good flick header for the goal.
Edwards 5 - I don't see the point in him tbh. Stacey offers more.
Cooper n/a - it was good to finish with four home-grown defender on the pitch

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Sep 2014 23:56

SCIAG - I'm a big fan of Stacey, but Edwards has bags of pace which Stacey lacks. I think Edwards is doing a job for now and its a season too soon for Stacey.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 17 Sep 2014 00:05

SCIAG Norwood 6. A couple of those flat passes out to Mackie, but a pretty forgettable performance.

Really? I watched him a lot as it was my first game since he signed - he sits in front of that back four and can ping a pass over distance to feet, he did it about a dozen times. He did very well today in the deep laying playmaking role, I feel our wingers were poor today which may have made him look worse cos his passes out wide we're being wasted by them

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Sep 2014 00:13

Holloway:

""My wife summed it up the other day when we were playing golf. She said very simply 'golf can be a cruel, cruel game'. Football is as well."

:lol:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Sep 2014 00:19

Ian Royal SCIAG - I'm a big fan of Stacey, but Edwards has bags of pace which Stacey lacks. I think Edwards is doing a job for now and its a season too soon for Stacey.

It might be too soon for Stacey, but I don't think he lacks pace. He's made to look slow because he has a long stride and a relatively low stride rate, but I reckon he'd beat Fosu in a flat race. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8pufZpBGF8

TBM
SCIAG Norwood 6. A couple of those flat passes out to Mackie, but a pretty forgettable performance.

Really? I watched him a lot as it was my first game since he signed - he sits in front of that back four and can ping a pass over distance to feet, he did it about a dozen times. He did very well today in the deep laying playmaking role, I feel our wingers were poor today which may have made him look worse cos his passes out wide we're being wasted by them

I thought the first half completely passed him by. He made a couple of excellent passes early in the second half but overall I don't think he was all that, particularly when we needed him to stop Millwall's ascendency. Maybe he'd have looked better if Mackie had taken a pass down and scored. It seems everyone disagrees with me so maybe I missed a few. I also thought his passing around the back was a bit weak, if they'd had quicker wingers pressing the full backs then a couple of them might have been intercepted. Maybe I just can't forgive him for taking my Aaron's rightful place in the side.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Sep 2014 00:43

Tough game against a physical side who like to play football. Absolutely bossed the first 20 mins, then they went 5 in midfield and we didn't know what to do, lost all impetus.
But credit to the.lads. They settled the game down, through a bit of energy from taylor and edwards and we dragged ourselves back for the win.
Encouraging stuff, when we looked shot for 45 mins in the middle of the game.

Feds- yin and yang, 7
Gunter- poor, but improved at the end 6
Pearce solid 7
Hector, worked hard by the experienced fuller and just about coped. 7
Obita 7 did well, front and back
Norwood 8 still gr8
Akpan 7 decent
Cox 8 worked hard. 2 goals
Mackie 7 worked hard
Blackman 7 decent
Murray 6 poor game compared to saturday

P!ssed Off