BFTG Charlton

157 posts
blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Charlton

by blueroyals » 09 Nov 2014 08:05

Average performance. Shit tactics.

We played well for the first 25 minutes. Then after that we reverted to hoof-it-to-the-wing rubbish. Adkins said after the game that we had 35 crosses. How many of those beat the first defender? No more than 10. Those that did manage to beat the first man were licked up by Bikey. So after a few minutes of trying that Adkins should have realised it wasn't working and reverted to something else. Play it through the middle, which we used to such good effect vs. Rotherham. No, still we were hoofing it to the wing to put shit cross after shit cross in.

And here's the killer - this was the same performance for us as Southampton under Adkins vs. us the year we went up. Cross after cross after cross to Lambert at the back post and we dealt with it all game, hit them on the counter and beat them. Did he attempt to change it in that game? No. Cross after oxf*rd cross.

They even doubled up on our wingers in the second half (no idea why, they were shit). Any decent manager would have seen that and decided to play through the middle into the space created. No, hoof it to the wring and hope that Mackie can beat two players and put a decent cross in.

Performance I can take, performance can be improved. His tactical ability cannot.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 09 Nov 2014 08:11

Avon Royal
MmmMonsterMunch I'm genuinely staggered that people think we are playing well. We have 2 wins in 11 against garbage opposition. We have won 2 games in 20 months when going behind under Adkins yet everyone seems happy to trot out one excuse after the other.

I don't think anyone is saying that we are playing that well at the moment. It's just that some people are mature enough to realise that most of the time you need a few seasons of frustrating inconsistency before a squad really kicks on. Just like Coppell's did. Just like Brian's did.

We had much cause for optimism under Coppell and McDermott before they "kicked on". We've had none under Adkins. It's been rubbish throughout with just the odd 20 mins every ten matches where we've looked half decent.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 09 Nov 2014 08:19

Man Friday
Avon Royal
MmmMonsterMunch I'm genuinely staggered that people think we are playing well. We have 2 wins in 11 against garbage opposition. We have won 2 games in 20 months when going behind under Adkins yet everyone seems happy to trot out one excuse after the other.

I don't think anyone is saying that we are playing that well at the moment. It's just that some people are mature enough to realise that most of the time you need a few seasons of frustrating inconsistency before a squad really kicks on. Just like Coppell's did. Just like Brian's did.

We had much cause for optimism under Coppell and McDermott before they "kicked on". We've had none under Adkins. It's been rubbish throughout with just the odd 20 mins every ten matches where we've looked half decent.

I think "much cause for optimism" is overstating it somewhat.........

Froomes

by Froomes » 09 Nov 2014 08:27

Avon Royal

I'll be honest I don't recall having to sit through a few seasons of 'frustrating inconsistency' under either Coppell or McDermott, they both had the team moving in the right direction after less than a season. Some of the football we were playing towards the end of BMs reign was as inept, impotent and one dimensional as much of this season has been I'll readily admit, the only real difference is back then we were getting done by teams like Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool whereas now we're being beaten by teams like Brentford, Charlton and Sheffield Wednesday...

Adkins is a competent manager when he has a decent transfer budget in relation to the league he is in, sadly he doesn't have that here and he won't get it.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 09 Nov 2014 09:24

chilipepper91 I posted this over on The Tilehurst End first but here's my analysis...

Let's debunk a few myths. 60% possession, 20 shots to 9, 12 corners to 0, and Adkins said in his post-match interview that we had "35 crosses". An outsider might wonder how we lost that game.

We may have dominated all those facets of the game, but Charlton had the lead. They had no need to possess the ball, to win corners, to shoot, to cross the ball, because they were intent on tucking in and protecting that lead. And in truth, the Royals never looked like breaking them down - indeed, the best chance of the second half fell to the Addicks, as Tucudean had two bites of the cherry one-on-one, but couldn't finish either. So yes, Reading had the lion's share of the ball, but Charlton didn't need it.

And they didn't need it because they knew they had the beating of Reading defensively. 35 crosses, yes, but the majority of those came from Jordan Obita, whose production was woeful. I've been the biggest supporter of his normally wicked deliveries, but today I don't think even five found their man in the middle. Twelve corners, but the success rate from that type of set-piece is extremely low. And 20 shots but just two on target - Charlton had three that forced Federici or a defender to make the stop, as well as the goal.

Quite simply, Reading cannot break a team down. Just twice in the "Adkins Era" have we come from behind to beat an opponent - Ipswich at home on the opening day of last season, and Doncaster away with playoff qualification on the line. Slow build-ups, no intelligent movement up front, and a severe lack of spark mean that the Royals have no option but to fire from afar - no wonder that our best chance to level the scores came from a long-range Norwood strike, with Williams and Blackman also firing wide from outside the box.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Why did the team, or the manager, not realise that Obita's crosses were not working? Why did the slow build-up continue late into the second half, before the inevitable boot forward anyway? And why is there no ability to break down a side once they grab the lead? The first two points lie within this game; the final one is a problem we have seen from this side for nearly two years (though Adkins' reign did begin in the Premier League).

Two 3-0 wins over Blackpool and Rotherham United simply papered over the cracks in this Reading side, as in my opinion, we weren't convincing in either match, despite being more clinical and looking impressive at times. Questions will be asked and worry will set in over the next two weeks, and the upcoming double away at Cardiff and Norwich don't look the easiest games for Nigel Adkins to allay those fears.

The excuses are running out. Danny Williams is back, with Garath McCleary likely returning after the international break and Jem Karacan a couple of weeks behind him. The team we put out today, McCleary aside, is probably near to full strength (depending on whether and where you'd slot Jem into this team). On the pitch, the first half hour of both the Rotherham and Charlton games have been write-offs. Good results mitigate bad performances, and progress on the pitch can offset poor form - at the moment, the Reading faithful are getting neither.

^spot on this.

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 09 Nov 2014 09:52

marlowuk OK! I'll say it!! This was our best performance I have seen at the Mad Stad this season (I did miss the Middlesborough match however). The team worked well together; strung some good passes together and looked like a cohesive unit! I thought the first half was a very entertaining display of football between two good championship sides. I enjoyed it (except for the Charlton goal of course!!).

The BBC called it a 'scrappy game'!! Where did that come from? We have been involved in many 'scrappy games' this season but this was not one of them!! This game was pretty free-flowing with some nice touches from both sides.

There were, as always, negatives. Their full back had Obita in his pocket and our POTS last year suffered a crisis of confidence as a result. His crosses were wayward and, in the second half, he gave up trying to beat his man. Our control in the final third of the pitch was, at times, poor. But there was much to admire. The slick interplay of passes between our midfielders and front men was good (particularly in the first half). Our defence looked stronger than it has done for some time - probably aided by Charlton's tactics of defending their 1 goal lead.

Overall - we were good and there was plenty to admire. But we couldn't break down a solid defensive display by Charlton. There was a lot of commitment by our side and good last ditch defensive blocks when Charlton tried to catch us on the counter-attack. Kudos to Feds for his great double save towards the end.

Despite our dominance, we ran out of ideas half way through the second half. That was the time to introduce changes and NA was too slow (imho) to do so. Given that Charlton were already breaking up the flow of play, by introducing their subs one at a time, I was surprised that NA compounded this by doing the same. Of those subs only Blackman had a positive effect on the match but it was not enough.

We were the better team but came away with no points. That is a failure. But I was encouraged by our play. We will, probably, end up mid-table which is as most of us expected. So why the despair? We have a good side - particularly with Jem and McCleary set to return - so there is reason to keep positive. We are building for the future. Just give us time - and support!!!

Finally......someone talking sense.

Stop bitching and support.

Mid table this season, build for next season....

Back the boys and make some noise....c'mon you R'z!!!!!!!

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 09 Nov 2014 10:07

If it has taken 125 posts for someone to "talk sense", that implies they are not.

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 09 Nov 2014 10:09

chilipepper91 If it has taken 125 posts for someone to "talk sense", that implies they are not.

Why?

It's just that all the shit-mongers got in first.......

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 09 Nov 2014 10:16

semtex1871
chilipepper91 If it has taken 125 posts for someone to "talk sense", that implies they are not.

Why?

It's just that all the shit-mongers got in first.......

The ratio of "shit-mongers" to "sense-talkers" is worrying then.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 09 Nov 2014 10:24

And growing match by match....

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 09 Nov 2014 10:59

Also think we need to improve the speed we take throw ins. I don't mean rush them but keep the intensity up.

It seems a pattern for us. We get a throw in then player stands looking for options until eventually players start to move for it.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 09 Nov 2014 11:04

I was looking for that yesterday because it really pissed me off during the Blackburn game. I thought they were taking them quicker. Still not fast enough but it looked like it was improved upon, and ours were better than Charlton's.

Feds had clearly been told he had to play more short balls too and looked very uncomfortable doing it.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 09 Nov 2014 11:05

Didn't we all say we'd write off last season but he needed to improve this season? Seems to me that although the players can pass the ball around better there is no improvement in our results and that has to lie with the manager and his "tactics" whatever they are. If we continue to play the same style and not adapt to the different set up of teams we're playing, how long are you all willing to give him? Like I said before, we need a young, hungry manager who wants to prove himself and will give it a go - I'd rather see us go all out to win every week with a passion and hunger and still sometimes lose than a steady, pass the ball to each other all day but no final product, any day of the week

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Nov 2014 11:55

Those slaughtering Gunter for the goal clearly failed to spot both Williams and Pearce having a real go at Obita immediately after it was conceded.

Also, Gunter ran to the ref at half-time and had a very animated discussion with him. He appeared to be indicating that either he or someone else had been pulled back by the arm, presumably in the lead up to the goal.

As for all of the noisy Adkins out brigade, how come you were all so f8cking silent after the Rotherham game? If he is that bad, there must surely still have been plenty for you to bitch about then?

I reckon we played very well for large parts of yesterday's game. We did create some good opportunities but failed to capitilise on them. On other occasions players made poor decisions and/or passes when in good positions - not really the manager's fault. There are clear signs that we are improving as a team but, as usual, the short-sighted (in both senses) fail to see that.

So let's just dump another good manager and hope that someone else can come in and do a better job with their hands still tied behind their backs by the financial constraints brought about by the botched sales and poor business management of the club over the past couple of years.

Finally, if Bikey had been playing for us, rather than Charlton yesterday, we would have won the game! He was immense and it was a pity that he ended up injured and getting undeserved stick (probably because he was playing so well) from some of our supporters.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Nov 2014 12:09

semtex1871
marlowuk OK! I'll say it!! This was our best performance I have seen at the Mad Stad this season (I did miss the Middlesborough match however). The team worked well together; strung some good passes together and looked like a cohesive unit! I thought the first half was a very entertaining display of football between two good championship sides. I enjoyed it (except for the Charlton goal of course!!).

The BBC called it a 'scrappy game'!! Where did that come from? We have been involved in many 'scrappy games' this season but this was not one of them!! This game was pretty free-flowing with some nice touches from both sides.

There were, as always, negatives. Their full back had Obita in his pocket and our POTS last year suffered a crisis of confidence as a result. His crosses were wayward and, in the second half, he gave up trying to beat his man. Our control in the final third of the pitch was, at times, poor. But there was much to admire. The slick interplay of passes between our midfielders and front men was good (particularly in the first half). Our defence looked stronger than it has done for some time - probably aided by Charlton's tactics of defending their 1 goal lead.

Overall - we were good and there was plenty to admire. But we couldn't break down a solid defensive display by Charlton. There was a lot of commitment by our side and good last ditch defensive blocks when Charlton tried to catch us on the counter-attack. Kudos to Feds for his great double save towards the end.

Despite our dominance, we ran out of ideas half way through the second half. That was the time to introduce changes and NA was too slow (imho) to do so. Given that Charlton were already breaking up the flow of play, by introducing their subs one at a time, I was surprised that NA compounded this by doing the same. Of those subs only Blackman had a positive effect on the match but it was not enough.

We were the better team but came away with no points. That is a failure. But I was encouraged by our play. We will, probably, end up mid-table which is as most of us expected. So why the despair? We have a good side - particularly with Jem and McCleary set to return - so there is reason to keep positive. We are building for the future. Just give us time - and support!!!

Finally......someone talking sense.

Stop bitching and support.

Mid table this season, build for next season....

Back the boys and make some noise....c'mon you R'z!!!!!!!

Amen to that!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Nov 2014 12:10

RoyalBlue Those slaughtering Gunter for the goal clearly failed to spot both Williams and Pearce having a real go at Obita immediately after it was conceded.

Also, Gunter ran to the ref at half-time and had a very animated discussion with him. He appeared to be indicating that either he or someone else had been pulled back by the arm, presumably in the lead up to the goal.

Watching the final moments of the build up and it looks like Obita had let Charlton get a 2-on-1 against Gunter, which is what caused Pearce to be dragged out of position a little.

Personally I think Gunter yet again failed to get close enough to the man in possession and his habit of just half jockeying and refusing to put in a tackle gave him too much time and space to deliver a decent cross.

Hector could arguably come over to cover Pearce a bit quicker but, as much as the goal in a combination of failures, I'd say Gunters is the most glaring as he's supposed to be a top defender at this level and yet again his man finds it all too easy to cross and set up a chance.

Overall I think we played alright, probably better than we did against Rotherham but we came up against a better, well drilled, defence who defended much better against us.

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 09 Nov 2014 12:33

Hoop Blah
RoyalBlue Those slaughtering Gunter for the goal clearly failed to spot both Williams and Pearce having a real go at Obita immediately after it was conceded.

Watching the final moments of the build up and it looks like Obita had let Charlton get a 2-on-1 against Gunter, which is what caused Pearce to be dragged out of position a little.

Personally I think Gunter yet again failed to get close enough to the man in possession and his habit of just half jockeying and refusing to put in a tackle gave him too much time and space to deliver a decent cross.

Hector could arguably come over to cover Pearce a bit quicker but, as much as the goal in a combination of failures, I'd say Gunters is the most glaring as he's supposed to be a top defender at this level and yet again his man finds it all too easy to cross and set up a chance.

Overall I think we played alright, probably better than we did against Rotherham but we came up against a better, well drilled, defence who defended much better against us.

Shock Horror a winger puts a ball in to the box How the Feck did a 5ft8 midget get the better of Hector and Pearce Gunter should may be get closer but the fault lies with the two CBS if a 5ft8 midget gets the better of them there is not much hope

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 09 Nov 2014 12:45

What is more concerning is the amount of free headers we are giving to opposition strikers that lead to goals, not only yesterday, but against Blackburn last week. Bournemouth. and Forest, and they are the only one`s I can think of off the top of my head.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 09 Nov 2014 12:49

Ian Royal Another game of fine margins. We were by far the better team first half but didn't take our chances. Charlton took their one. Second half was a damp squib, but you can't fault the effort. Fed made no mistakes with an excellent double save.

Everything's a little laboured and the wrong decisions are being made too often. But we managed some really quite slick interchange around their box at times and through the middle. We look much better with Williams centrally.

The major difference between this and Rotherham is that Charlton did their homework and doubled up on Mackie who was allowed to go 1v1 with Rotherham far more. Oh and our finishing wasn't there.

I've lost count of the number of times we've hit the woodwork this season, it's getting ridiculous, virtually every game.

Player highlights
Fed - slightly smarter distribution needed, but great double save
Obita, awful delivery, must do better.
Kelly, big improvement on Gunter defensively at right back.

I think I'd rather see Obita back at left back and Taylor on the left tbh. Gunter dropped.

I agree about Kelly -unfortunately however going forward he offers nothing.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Nov 2014 13:04

Froomes
Avon Royal

I'll be honest I don't recall having to sit through a few seasons of 'frustrating inconsistency' under either Coppell or McDermott, they both had the team moving in the right direction after less than a season.

In terms of results and performances, we went backwards in Coppell's first two seasons in charge. No goals from wingers in 04/05. Lloyd Owusu. Paul Brooker. We had long strings of uninspiring performances whenever Kitson wasn't available. There was a period where it seemed Ingimarsson was the only player capable of scoring. We had a run of 12 matches without a win in 04/05 and never strung together more than two wins under Coppell in 03/04 (though we did string three 3-0 losses).

Things were a bit better in terms of results under McDermott, but his sides always started the season poorly (though there were extenuating circumstances). In both seasons we often looked like we had no idea how to score.

Some match reports to jog your memory:
http://www.royals.org/matdoc/050305.html
http://www.royals.org/matdoc/111210.html
http://www.royals.org/matdoc/100911.html

157 posts