Singing problem

Nobby

Singing problem

by Nobby » 11 Jan 2015 20:24

This season there seems to be almost no singing from the the Y25 area. I know it's an old topic but this season we seems to have lost what little noise there was from that area.
Has something happened or is it just the smaller crowds mean we can no longer muster a song?
Away fans seem puzzled that even when they are in full voice singing about how naff our support is, there is no response. If you're not going to sing, why sit so close to the away fans? Why not sit in the North Stand?
I'm just glad the drummer stirs a bit of noise. It's the only singing there is at most games.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Singing problem

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Jan 2015 21:03

Because in general our support is awful and even when I sit in other parts of the ground so few fans sing so I can barely hear it from other parts of the ground.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Jan 2015 21:10

If want to go singing join the local choir.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 11 Jan 2015 21:33

You are right. I'm in y24 and have noticed a difference.
Isnt singing directly proportionate to the excitement of the game ?
So far lets be honest there aint been too much to sing about..

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2015 22:00

Nobby This season there seems to be almost no singing from the the Y25 area. I know it's an old topic but this season we seems to have lost what little noise there was from that area.
Has something happened or is it just the smaller crowds mean we can no longer muster a song?
Away fans seem puzzled that even when they are in full voice singing about how naff our support is, there is no response. If you're not going to sing, why sit so close to the away fans? Why not sit in the North Stand?
I'm just glad the drummer stirs a bit of noise. It's the only singing there is at most games.

Depends where you are. From Y26 I barely hear a peep from the North East corner at all. And the drummer has almost never led the noise from the South East corner, ever.

The atmosphere has been alright at times but it doesn't last long and it doesn't spread out of Y26 / 25 anymore. Mainly that's because we've just been poor for most the season. With bad results and unexciting games. Some of the louder chant starts have been more dissatisfied or there less too.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 11 Jan 2015 22:08

In answer to the OP I would agree. For years the top of Y25/26 were half decent at getting things going but now they barely sing at all.

IMO if you buy an ST at the top of those stands you do kind of have a responsibility to get the singing going. If you don't want to, then fair enough but let people who do want to do that sit there instead.

Bob1871

by Bob1871 » 11 Jan 2015 22:28

I'd agree from Y24 the atmosphere has almost completely dropped off but the same thing happened under Rogers and the start of Brian, it'll come back when our form improves

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2015 22:33

MmmMonsterMunch In answer to the OP I would agree. For years the top of Y25/26 were half decent at getting things going but now they barely sing at all.

IMO if you buy an ST at the top of those stands you do kind of have a responsibility to get the singing going. If you don't want to, then fair enough but let people who do want to do that sit there instead.

Have you noticed the atmosphere die on its arse about 10 minutes before the end of the first half as well? At least once I've noticed chants to wind up the away fans result in waking them up, just as our lot go for a beer. Result, away team lifted, us under the cosh and no help available from the stands.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 11 Jan 2015 22:43

I sit halfway up Y25 & around me we'll all generally join in when it gets going but ultimately the responsibility lies with those at the back to start it off & then it does filter down to the rest of the stand.

They also give up far too easily after say 3-4 repetitions of a song instead of trying to keep it going. I guess it's easy to criticise but ultimately the top of our stand is responsible for driving the fans on & they are failing miserably at the minute.

As an example on Sat there was one occasion where SC's barmy army started & it started slowly but because those that started it did actually keep it going eventually it picked up & started going.

I find it funny that everyone behind us continues to stand up the entire game. Fair enough if you're singing but you're not even doing that.....

I often wonder where all the noisy fans went. Up until about 2009 it was great but last 4 seasons or so it's just got worse.

Come back you guys you are sorely missed!

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 11 Jan 2015 23:37

We will never be able to get some prolonged singing going, it's not the reading way. #familyclub

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 12 Jan 2015 10:44

The club have done their very best to kill it off with the goal music, family stand, queensly, face paint, etc

I made a rare trip to the west stand a few games ago and Y26 could not be heard

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 12 Jan 2015 10:57

Can't believe i'm going to say this but if it wasn't for the drums it would be far worse at the moment. Currently the North Stand are the ones that start most songs or at least create more noise. Even the west upper have been joining in.

The banter with the away fans only runs for a few minutes in Y26 and they seem to quickly give in. Agree its got to be down to form. When the quality of football improves the signing will too.

Beans

by Beans » 12 Jan 2015 11:43

UpThePrem Can't believe i'm going to say this but if it wasn't for the drums it would be far worse at the moment. Currently the North Stand are the ones that start most songs or at least create more noise. Even the west upper have been joining in.

In all honesty, from where I sit in Y24, you can hear a drum but not much else.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 12 Jan 2015 11:53

blueroyals I made a rare trip to the west stand a few games ago and Y26 could not be heard

I sit in the West Lower opposite Y26 and I can hear them most of the time - I think it helps that the sound is travelling directly across the ground to me. Other than that I can just hear the away fans and the bang bang bang bang from the South Stand.

The acoustics are poor, always have been but I think alcohol plays a part - away fans tend to travel by coach/train and that allows them to drink all the way there and then when they get here/in town. Home fans seem to drive to the games/catch the bus without as much pre-game drinking.......Free Beer is the answer!

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Jan 2015 11:55

Well I sat in the Lower West at the Norwich game and thought the atmos was quite good. There were quite a few people joining in with the Blue Army chants, led by the drummer in the North east, particularly me as I'd had a few before the game. Could hear the Y25 lot singing quite a few times.

arthurfondrelli

by arthurfondrelli » 12 Jan 2015 12:02

I think it would be a good idea for much of the vocal support to move to the North Stand.

I personally quite often sit Y26 in the first half and move to an empty seat around Y20 in the second half.

Both ends make a bit of noise, but together, it could be pretty loud.

Also makes sense to have your main singing section behind the goal that your team attacks in the second half.

Schmeichel the dog

by Schmeichel the dog » 12 Jan 2015 12:44

(Tongue in cheek suggestion) Move the drummer to Y25/26 :D

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jan 2015 14:25

Schmeichel the dog (Tongue in cheek suggestion) Move the drummer to Y25/26 :D

So we can shove his poxy drum up his arse?

You'll never get all or even most the people who want to sing at the opposite end of the ground to the away fans. The interaction creates half the noise. That and ends are shit.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 12 Jan 2015 14:48

Madejski is definitely the quietest ground I've been to this season. And it's the fourth ground so far.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jan 2015 15:04

No Fixed Abode Madejski is definitely the quietest ground I've been to this season. And it's the fourth ground so far.

Sorry you've not managed to see Chelsea at home yet.