Lucky grounds

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Lucky grounds

by floyd__streete » 15 Jan 2015 13:35

Discussing with my good m8 Hancbags Harris tarvel arrangements for Wolves next month. I remarked that Molineux is a good ground for us and on further inspection I have actually seen us win 4 times in 6 visits there.

Looking at other venues, we have tended to do well at The New Den (saw 5-0 pasting there, mind you) and Selhurst Park is a good ground for us.....I've only seen one defeat there and that was to Wimbledon :!: In fact RFC have only lost once away to Crystal Palace in 12 visits since the 1960s. Something gr8 about a good RFC away win up the road in London isn't there :?:

Unlucky grounds :?: Well on a personal level I think I've seen every defeat we've had and none of the wins we've managed at the Britannia Stadium, the hateful wind-tunnel of a place that it is :evil:

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Lucky grounds

by Big Foot » 15 Jan 2015 13:39

Would have to look back at my own lists, but that Wimbledon game you mention - is that the gutless 2-0 defeat, 1st March (or summat) 2003? IIRC it was one of Sidwell's first games and we got torn apart by the front 2 of Patrick Agyemang & David Connolly

arthurfondrelli

by arthurfondrelli » 15 Jan 2015 13:41

Must have been to Fratton Park about 7 times and have never seen us win there, might have seen us draw once.

I've also only ever seen us lose to Wimbledon at Selhurst Park, 2-0 in 2001/2002 season from memory.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 Jan 2015 13:45

2-0 loss to Wimbledon was indeed 02/03. I was sat next to Adie Williams dad, the late Alan Williams. Rather touchingly, Alan waved a hankie in the air as the teams came out so that Adie could spot him and give him the thumbs up. As i recall, Adie was involved in a mix up for Wimbledon's second and Alan bemoaned "for goodness sake Mackie". I politely and sagely nodded an unmerited agreement 8)

Following season we beat Wimbledon 3-0 at Selhurst. The crowd was a fraction over 2,000 and three-quarters of that came from Berkshire. My abiding memory of this was of Andy Steggall filming for Meridian from a deserted end behind the goal nearest the Reading support and getting dogs abuse so he had to revert to the far goal to file his reports :lol:

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 15 Jan 2015 13:48

Loftus Road was always a lucky one for me. Think I saw half a dozen games (from the Simod Cup game!) without defeat until that horrible night with Rodgers in charged.

Mixed fortunes since.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 Jan 2015 13:49

Pompey is a shout though. Just looked it up via the superb

http://www.royalsrecord.co.uk/teams/

and my own record there watching us is 1 draw and 5 defeats :x

Wouldn't mind so much if they weren't such conceited, self-loving pr*cks. I love a proper old school away ground but Fratton Park is woeful with its seats bolted onto crumbling old terrace. Long may they fester in League 2 :!: Remember the Pompey fan who used to come on here and crow about their usual victories against us? He was forewarned of their financial armageddon of course :lol:

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 15 Jan 2015 14:09

Barring the 3-0 defeat in our first game back in the Championship in 2002, have only ever seen wins at Pride Park. Even when we go and get relegated there we see Reading win 4-0. Think my trips there read P7 W6 L1.

Always got good returns out of away trips to Leicester, including our promotion there. Similarly have enjoyed Selhurst Park, although seem to remember seeing us lose to Palace in the late 90s, in addition to the aforementioned Wimbledon defeat. Think we lost 3-2 to Palace. Seem to recall it being on a Tuesday night, Paul Bodin scoring a screamer for us, and there being a streaker after Palace scored.

Bad luck grounds: Wigan away is always a shocker. 5 trips there and the best I've seen is an awful 0-0 draw. That includes a hideous last minute defeat in the pissing rain, and having to put up with watching them celebrate promotion. Have been to Coventry twice and just experienced two dire 0-0s.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 15 Jan 2015 14:10

Bramall Lane is a personal favourite of mine. Must have seen us win on at least four occassions.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Jan 2015 14:21

Lucky grounds: Gigg Lane, Priestfield, Portman Road Ashton Gate and on

Unlucky: Wembley more often than not, Millenium Stad, Fellows Park rip, Blundell Park etc

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 15 Jan 2015 15:04

AthleticoSpizz Lucky grounds: Gigg Lane, Priestfield, Portman Road Ashton Gate and on

Unlucky: Wembley more often than not, Millenium Stad, Fellows Park rip, Blundell Park etc

Agree, Fellows Park was a shocker of a venue for Reading.........absolute doss hole as well, not one that I've missed since its extinction.

Villa Park is another stinker, played there 7 times and lost 7 times, I've seen 4 of those 7 defeats.

Eastville/Twerton Park were extremely kind.............in a combined 6 visits, seen 4 wins and 2 draws.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 15 Jan 2015 18:37

Is Bloomfield Road lucky for you? I was at this game 01/02, out of shot though, nearer the back.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 15 Jan 2015 18:51

No Fixed Abode Is Bloomfield Road lucky for you? I was at this game 01/02, out of shot though, nearer the back.

Wasn't that first game of the season? Must be as I'm in the picky and only been there once so far. Planning to go again this season.
We met up with a mate from work who supported Blackpool from the days of Stanley Matthews & he and his son took us into the Tango club (despite us wearing hoops). Great day out, 2-0 win. Happy days

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 15 Jan 2015 19:46

Isaac Hunt Loftus Road was always a lucky one for me. Think I saw half a dozen games (from the Simod Cup game!) without defeat until that horrible night with Rodgers in charged.

Mixed fortunes since.

Exactly this.
Think the Rodgers 4-1 game was the only defeat I have witnessed and I have been there on numerous occasions . (Boy was that abysmal with Ingimarsson sent off )
Pompey is a bogey ground for me. Saw us win 1-0 many years back. That aside it has been nothing short of atrocious with numerous defeats.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Jan 2015 19:57

From a personal perspective:

Bootham Crescent is an unlucky ground for me. 3 visits, 1 draw, 2 defeats including 2 collapses in the Cup and a Jimmy Quinn penalty sent into orbit. The draw was in the cup and we lost the replay 3-1 at home.

The good ones though:

Burnley 6 trips, 5 wins, 1 defeat, goal difference 15-4

Huddersfield - 3 vists, 3 wins, 1 at Leeds Rd, 2 at McSmithpharm.

Loftus Rd 3 wins, 2 draws but also a postponement 30 minutes before kickoff.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 15 Jan 2015 22:25

Lucky grounds from my experience: Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Leicester, Millwall, Derby and Barnsley. Been to those a few times each and never seen us get beat. I've also been to Burnley twice and seen us win both.

Unlucky grounds: Wigan, Portsmouth, Blackpool, Stoke, Aston Villa and Newcastle (seen us lose 3-0 there twice!!) :(

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 15 Jan 2015 22:36

100% record at Turf Moor for me - Played 4 won 4

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 16 Jan 2015 08:58

I've seen 3 wins and 1 defeat at Cardiff City, and 4 wins and 1 defeat at Brighton.

On the flip side, I've been to QPR six times and seen just two victories, with a similar record at Watford.

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1