The Yak

382 posts
Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Yak

by Norfolk Royal » 05 Feb 2015 09:06

Has anyone discovered whether he's actually played a game since last May yet?

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 05 Feb 2015 09:48

RoyallyFcuked Who else was there when the Yak tapped home after Hahnemann parried Rochemback's free kick to make it 2-0 Boro? This prompted the guy next to me to say "its guna be a long hard season", but before half time it was 2-2 and by full time Reading emerged as 3-2 winners 8)
Just experienced some nostalgia watching this, especially after Kitson knocked in the first one - the way he picked up the ball and held it up as if to say "We're still all in this together and here is our first Premier League goal", I'd forgotten that, but I remember thinking it at the time too.

Ahhh the memories - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yVa02GEB1c

Interesting to see Yakubu use all his years of experience in the game to win a free kick early on against the young upstarts from Reading.

Gilksy

by Gilksy » 05 Feb 2015 09:58

Wattsy says Yak's available this weekend, so he must be in reasonably good shape.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Feb 2015 10:33

Gilksy Wattsy says Yak's available this weekend, so he must be in reasonably good shape.

Player on a deal heavily weighted towards appearances and goals declares himself fit for selection shock !,

Although there would have been little point in the deal if we weren't sure he could at least be named on the bench straight away. Bound to be a few weeks before he is 100% match fit, unless he is one of those lucky people who just never get out of condition

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Feb 2015 12:05

It'll be down to Clarke and his team to make the call on Yakubu being available, not the player.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Feb 2015 12:53

Wycombe Royal I never knew there were five Teddy Sheringham's who played professional football......very unusual..

I broke Sherringham's career down because he played Prem then Champ then Prem and for a few different clubs.

if other players are a year out, so what? It was a quick selection from Googling "older players"

I note I forgot Marcus Hahnemann

Where some players may have played OLDER than i posted, that's because I didn't search for their very last game

the point still stands that many, MANY players have played into their late thirties
even forties, at quite a high level

And The Yak, who is allegedly 32? Maybe it's made up and he's older
but that didn't stop him being sold for 7.5 million or 11.5 million
even if he "was five years older, six years older, seven years older, than he says"

and every time he was signed he did a good job.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Feb 2015 12:59

Nameless
Ian Royal I hate when people describe those sorts of penalties as good. They're shit, as we saw with HRK. You're relying on the 'keeper gambling and choosing wrong. Just oxf*rd learn to hit it in a 2 foot square zone at a top corner, starting six inches in from the wood work. It's not a lot to ask a professional athlete to learn to do that consistently from 18 pissing yards and it'd be all but unsaveable.

presumably a Dodd awaits anyone pointing out the daftness of the above.....

Classic Ian Royal, football expert.

Just as a matter of interest, plenty of Nobbers have played, and they will know that when taking a penalty, the idea of putting it high in the corner, on a regular basis, at pace is very, very difficult. if it wasn't all penalty-takers would do it.

For my own case I always wellied it, hard as I could, on the floor, as near to inside the post as possible.

I'd be hopeless these days, though. When I took penalties they were only twelve yards out (and they were small yards), not sure how I'd've done with a penalty spot on the edge of the penalty area

Royal_Delight
Location: In Madejski's Mansion counting the fans' season ticket money

by Royal_Delight » 05 Feb 2015 15:25

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editor ... ID=HP_FT_6

"Yakubu has been a familiar face in England since his move to Portsmouth in 2003. He subsequently starred for Middlesbrough, Everton, Leicester City and Blackburn Rovers before choosing to continue his career in China.

But the 32-year-old, who spent a short time in Qatar before cutting ties with Al Rayyan, decided it was time to return to British shores with Reading on transfer deadline day.

The ex-Nigeria international is expected to be a flop at the Madejski Stadium. He's simply not likely to be fit for the rigours of second-tier English football and the 16th-placed club will be hard-pushed to bring match-winning performances from the striker, irrespective of his experience."

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 05 Feb 2015 16:10

Royal_Delight http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2015/02/04/8589402/ben-arfa-matri-and-the-panic-buys-of-the-transfer-window?ICID=HP_FT_6

"Yakubu has been a familiar face in England since his move to Portsmouth in 2003. He subsequently starred for Middlesbrough, Everton, Leicester City and Blackburn Rovers before choosing to continue his career in China.

But the 32-year-old, who spent a short time in Qatar before cutting ties with Al Rayyan, decided it was time to return to British shores with Reading on transfer deadline day.

The ex-Nigeria international is expected to be a flop at the Madejski Stadium. He's simply not likely to be fit for the rigours of second-tier English football and the 16th-placed club will be hard-pushed to bring match-winning performances from the striker, irrespective of his experience."

Feel that's very harsh, I don't think he should be judged until given a couple of games to prove himself. His record is good but he has been out in the wilderness for a couple of seasons. I think he'll do well personally.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 05 Feb 2015 19:01

Ian Royal
RoyallyFcuked Who else was there when the Yak tapped home after Hahnemann parried Rochemback's free kick to make it 2-0 Boro? This prompted the guy next to me to say "its guna be a long hard season", but before half time it was 2-2 and by full time Reading emerged as 3-2 winners 8)
Just experienced some nostalgia watching this, especially after Kitson knocked in the first one - the way he picked up the ball and held it up as if to say "We're still all in this together and here is our first Premier League goal", I'd forgotten that, but I remember thinking it at the time too.

Ahhh the memories - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yVa02GEB1c

Great day. How the oxf*rd did Riggott not get sent off?

Good question, I think probably because he got the ball as well. Had there been a bit of an incident between him and Kits beforehand? I might be thinking of something else but I swear something happened between them.

After watching it back, surely it cant have been for the incident where Arca got injured, as that was Riggott himself? Looked like he just wanted to take Kits out and he was just lucky he was able to do it without it being a very obvious red card.

Hate him for that anyway, and still feel bad for Kitson as he was unlucky and missed much of the season. Glad he did at least get our first PL goal.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Feb 2015 19:18

Royal_Delight The ex-Nigeria international is expected to be a flop at the Madejski Stadium. He's simply not likely to be fit for the rigours of second-tier English football and the 16th-placed club will be hard-pushed to bring match-winning performances from the striker, irrespective of his experience."

That is a shockingly bad piece of writing, probably explained by the fact that they obviously had an article planned in advance and nothing really happened that fitted their theme. So they made stuff up.
No one expects him to flop, everyone excepts it's a lowish risk gamble,, no one knows what his fitness is like but he's not a hard running midfielder and will probably feature off the bench so it's not a big issue. What the bit about us being 'hard pushed to bring match winning performances out of him' is supposed to mean I'm not sure.
Written by someone with space to fill and nothing to say....

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 Feb 2015 19:44

Nameless
Royal_Delight The ex-Nigeria international is expected to be a flop at the Madejski Stadium. He's simply not likely to be fit for the rigours of second-tier English football and the 16th-placed club will be hard-pushed to bring match-winning performances from the striker, irrespective of his experience."

That is a shockingly bad piece of writing, probably explained by the fact that they obviously had an article planned in advance and nothing really happened that fitted their theme. So they made stuff up.
No one expects him to flop, everyone excepts it's a lowish risk gamble,, no one knows what his fitness is like but he's not a hard running midfielder and will probably feature off the bench so it's not a big issue. What the bit about us being 'hard pushed to bring match winning performances out of him' is supposed to mean I'm not sure.

Kettles and pots spring to mind ( it is 'accepts', just in case you are not able to spot your own shockingly bad piece of writing).

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Feb 2015 19:54

Fair cop !!

But there's a fundamental difference between minor word sloppiness on a forum and a supposedly professional journalist producing nonsense

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 Feb 2015 20:51

Nameless Fair cop !!gv

But there's a fundamental difference between minor word sloppiness on a forum and a supposedly professional journalist producing nonsense

Yes there is.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 05 Feb 2015 22:44

Good old Dave

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 06 Feb 2015 07:19

Dave-Royal Royal_Delight

What a bullshit you talk ,,,,, Royal_Delight .......The Yak Raring to go and he wont be no Flop at Reading fc.... I have see him training

Dive-Rhyl you talk f[u]ckity f[u]ck f[u]ck many times ova. Yakity Yak Yak is fatty fat fat and gobbles down lots of meat, just like your Dad.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Feb 2015 10:09

BT Sport's weekend football email shows

37 year old Jorge Alberto Rojas scoring an amazing 40 yard screamer in the Copa Libertadores

http://sport.bt.com/jaw-dropping-40-yar ... 3960009648

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 06 Feb 2015 15:59

Nameless

I think he's right. Practically every other football fan in the country who isn't a Reading fan probably laughed when they heard the news that we'd signed him. I know all those in my office did.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 06 Feb 2015 16:22

Can't understand why.

A proven ex-premier league goal-scorer? Signed for nothing, or a short-term deal? Reeks of clever business. And if he's god awful, then it doesn't really matter. We haven't lost anything.

If everyone in your office laughed when we signed Yakubu, they must have been on the floor when we signed players like Akpan, Travner, Blackman etc etc

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 06 Feb 2015 18:00

Dave-Royal Sandman shut the F--uck up will you... The Yak be very sharpe in training.. you will be surprise when you see him Tuesday haha :D

I was speaking to Dive-Rhyl. So shit the feck up Dave-Royal ok.

382 posts