Back From The Game - Wigan

139 posts
P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back From The Game - Wigan

by P!ssed Off » 17 Feb 2015 23:10

The worst game I've ever seen.
All 22 starters, + subs, ought to be given life time bans.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 17 Feb 2015 23:15

P!ssed Off The worst game I've ever seen.
All 22 starters, + subs, ought to be given life time bans.

You forgot the ref, who made an appalling game even worse.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 17 Feb 2015 23:15

Without doubt one of the worst Reading performances in living memory. Worse than anything I saw under Adkins (mind, I wasn't at Birmingham or Peterborough).

Chilobah probably completed more passes to Wigan players than any Wigan player. Even Kelly was making mistakes. Norwood is broken and we should ask for our money back. McCLeary went off for a piss; that's how bad it was. Obita is the most one footed player I've ever seen - more so even than Shorey - all anybody needs to do is show him inside and he's lost. So if he can't cross, all he can do is try and double switch back onto his left foot. My Mum could probably spot how to take him out the game, so I'm sure full time managers with coaching badges can.

Every second ball they won. We back passed ourselves into trouble time after time - the most grotesque example was the back pass to Federici that gave him so little room he tried to pass it around for half an hour and ended up in a full on wrestling match with their forward in the penalty area.

11 minutes of extra time - you'd thing it would be a siege mentality for the pie eaters. But no, they happily passed it around and waited for us to commit unforced errors or pointless fouls.

If Clarke wasn't new to the job the calls for him to go would be deafening. I'm usually reluctant to be overly damning in my assessment, but I have no hesitation in saying that was inept, spineless, gutless, and a disgrace to this football club, its supporters, and to be honest, the game in general.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Feb 2015 23:17

Wtf has happened to Obita? Has become a complete pussy. Scared to go into 50/50s and scared to take players on.

Run. Stop. Turn around. Pass to Pearce. Repeat.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Feb 2015 23:18

Wigan were awful and we were worse.

Not basing this on the result. The RFC performance was dire.

We played like a relegation side devoid of confidence and ideas.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Feb 2015 23:18

Yep.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 17 Feb 2015 23:19

Pepe the Horseman Wtf has happened to Obita? Has become a complete pussy. Scared to go into 50/50s and scared to take players on.

It's cause he's only got one foot. Force him onto his right foot and all he can do is switch to pass back.

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 17 Feb 2015 23:20

Special shout out to the pitch, which did its best to provide two dreadful teams with the perfect stage to scuff and shunt everything that came their way.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 17 Feb 2015 23:22

At least the manager isn't trying to take the positives out of it...

Speaking brutally honestly to the press, Clarke said, "We deserved to lose. It was rubbish.

"A little bit of me is embarrassed to be coach of a team that plays like that, especially first half. Not a good game, not a good performance and obviously a terrible result.
Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... 7tVsoWM.99

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 17 Feb 2015 23:23

Armadillo Roadkill Without doubt one of the worst Reading performances in living memory. Worse than anything I saw under Adkins (mind, I wasn't at Birmingham or Peterborough).

Chilobah probably completed more passes to Wigan players than any Wigan player. Even Kelly was making mistakes. Norwood is broken and we should ask for our money back. McCLeary went off for a piss; that's how bad it was. Obita is the most one footed player I've ever seen - more so even than Shorey - all anybody needs to do is show him inside and he's lost. So if he can't cross, all he can do is try and double switch back onto his left foot. My Mum could probably spot how to take him out the game, so I'm sure full time managers with coaching badges can.

Every second ball they won. We back passed ourselves into trouble time after time - the most grotesque example was the back pass to Federici that gave him so little room he tried to pass it around for half an hour and ended up in a full on wrestling match with their forward in the penalty area.

11 minutes of extra time - you'd thing it would be a siege mentality for the pie eaters. But no, they happily passed it around and waited for us to commit unforced errors or pointless fouls.

If Clarke wasn't new to the job the calls for him to go would be deafening. I'm usually reluctant to be overly damning in my assessment, but I have no hesitation in saying that was inept, spineless, gutless, and a disgrace to this football club, its supporters, and to be honest, the game in general.

^ very good summary

Only thing I'd add would be the comical substitutions which had no effect - if Akpan, Blackman and Yakubu are the answer, you have to wonder wtf the question is! As we were going to persist with aimless hoofs, we could have at least chucked on Cooper up front for a chance to get a head on one of them.

7 points above Millwall...

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 17 Feb 2015 23:26

Steve Clarke's comments are a little reassuring, at least he can acknowledge how diabolical that was (something Adkins struggled to do)

me

by me » 17 Feb 2015 23:30

What a steaming pile that was.

You could forgive it if it was a one off, but the truth is that the majority of the home games this season have been totally dire - whoever is managing the team. Defence has improved under Clarke, but the midfield creativity is still lacking. The thing is, if you have slow forwards you need a creative midfield to score - that's why we don't.

I'm just fed up now. The thing that really upsets me is that we are giving experience to Chelsea youth products when we have our own youth on the bench who are equal to, if not greater than Chalobah. At least Adkins was happy to use our own academy products - even if they were slightly over used.

Before the game, I thought our season would be over the moment we went out the FA cup, but I fear we are about to be sucked into a relegation battle if attitudes don't change quickly. The dontgiveafcuk attitude was back in force tonight.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Feb 2015 23:33

That was appalling. The worst performance I can remember for I don't know, over a decade at least.

Last two home games have been utterly substandard and if Clarke produces much more of this shit we'll be in big trouble and so will he.

royalsmudge

by royalsmudge » 17 Feb 2015 23:35

As bad a game as I have seen in 30 years; 2 atrocious sides without any redeeming qualities, serving up filth on a shit heap of a pitch, reffed by an incompetent.
The goal, a microcosm of the dire 112 minutes that surrounded it.

Blue Blood

by Blue Blood » 17 Feb 2015 23:38

I think it all stemmed from playing Chalobah hopelessly out of position at CB - why do that with Cooper on the bench? And why let it continue when it was clearly an accident waiting to happen. Worst performance since Burns era?

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 17 Feb 2015 23:39

I have seen many dire performances and that was up there with the worst.
Chalaboha at centre half. Dreadful just dreadful.
Midfield totally missing in action Where the fik where they?
Wigan nothing but hard working ( take note reading players)
Special mention to their number four. He was awesome and had pog in his pocket all game.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Feb 2015 23:42

Utterly and completely appalling. After the totally disgraceful performance last week v Leeds this bunch of hopeless muppets managed to dig deep and come up with something far worse.

For the last half hour - or more like 45 minutes given the injury time - this useless pile barely managed to get the ball anywhere near the North Stand, let alone create anything for anyone that might in anyway be considered a chance to score.

I am presuming that all this is a plan to lull Bradford into a false sense of security while they scout us, as offering up the crap we had tonight wouldn't trouble Bracknell Town let alone a third division side going at full pelt for your throat in a cup game or any club in a league game.

Finally, on this sort of performance, we will be relegated but if I was manager it would make my mind up that many of the squad are not good enough and should be moved out at the first opportunity.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 17 Feb 2015 23:47

If there is any footage of those 11 minutes of injury time available then the CIA could make great use of it as an more effective alternative to waterboarding.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 17 Feb 2015 23:48

Terrible at home again. Wigan were rubbish and there for the taking, yet they came away with the points. We did have quite a few chances, however we were overall so poor.
I thought only players who came out of it with any credit were Pog and Kelly.
The rest of the back 5 were very poor.
Chalobah, on that showing, is not a CB. We missed him in centre mid and I'd have liked to see Cooper come on at half time for Norwood so Chalobah could go back to midfield.
Norwood had a 'mare. In fairness to him he did hit a couple of good passes but seemed to be the law of averages at play. What's happened to the player we signed? And what's happened to Obita?
HRK was comparatively ok.
Williams and Cox both tried but nothing seemed to work for them.
McCleary was out of sorts and I thought he'd given up when he nipped off to the loo.

Subs didn't make any difference

Highlight of the game - seeing 11 minutes come up on the "time added on" board. It could have been 11 hours though. It wouldn't have made any difference to the score.

Ref - dreadful. Their defender was taking Pog's shirt off over his head in the box yet that wasn't a penalty!
Pearce made a good tackle. Not only was a free kick given, but he was even booked.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Feb 2015 23:49

Pepe the Horseman Wtf has happened to Obita? Has become a complete pussy. Scared to go into 50/50s and scared to take players on.

And Pearce then seemed to be trapped in a loop of stop, turn and belt the ball back to Federici in the most dangerous fashion possible.

Chalobah was more run, miss or turn and hit the ball anywhere there wasn't anyone playing in the same team.

139 posts