Credit to the ref

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Credit to the ref

by Nameless » 17 Mar 2015 21:07

Surprised that there has been little comment about the ref last night.
Although perhaps that says it all.
I thought he was excellent, got pretty much everything right, un fussy, let the players play, even handed.
He did have a big influence on the game though. In the first game the ref let Bradford play their style, lat night he made it clear early on that Stead needed to use more than just his forearm and Stead had nothing to offer. Totally neutralised Bradford when they couldn't play the man before the ball was punted into the box.
Well done to the ref, welcome him back any time.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Credit to the ref

by kwik-silva » 17 Mar 2015 21:19

Few unnecessary bookings in the first half, and I wasn't sure about the red but I haven't seen it back. Looked to me like one of the ones that got rescinded in a Stoke match a while back.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Mar 2015 21:22

It was an amazing performance. There were a few minor things like the direction of throw ins and not forcing a Bradford player to go off after treatment, but he called most of the fouls right and used his cards when necessary. Couldn't fault any of his cautions or the dismissal, and he stopped Bradford from fouling us off the park again.

Last time he was here, Mr Marriner didn't notice Demba Ba punch the ball into the goal. On the other hand, he was excellent when we beat Liverpool 3-1...

Bob1871

by Bob1871 » 17 Mar 2015 21:23

Thought the refs in both legs were good.

Let the game run.

It was an awful challenge and a definitely red, looked even worse in real time.

Also fair play to the officials for dealing with the racism very quickly, more than can be said for the steward stood right in front on it!

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 17 Mar 2015 21:52

You could see him get the yellow card out, then he got a message in his ear piece from his assistant and changed it to a red

Chappers93

by Chappers93 » 17 Mar 2015 22:25

Agreed, Ref was Mike Jones, and thought was very good. Had total control of the game which Swarbrick didn't quite have in the first leg but thought he reffed that game pretty well too TBF

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Mar 2015 22:25

windermere_royal You could see him get the yellow card out, then he got a message in his ear piece from his assistant and changed it to a red

His assistant or the 4th official? Do the latter have access to tv monitors when the games are televised?

Incidentally I thought Mike Jones was ref ? BBC have him down as the ref last night. Wasn't Marriner the 4th official?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Mar 2015 22:29

Fairly sure there are no monitors pitch side, if there were clubs would be rushing to see stuff on them.
Suspect if anything the 4th official just gave his real time view, possibly responding to a question from the ref.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 17 Mar 2015 22:32

Nameless Surprised that there has been little comment about the ref last night.
Although perhaps that says it all.
I thought he was excellent, got pretty much everything right, un fussy, let the players play, even handed.
He did have a big influence on the game though. In the first game the ref let Bradford play their style, lat night he made it clear early on that Stead needed to use more than just his forearm and Stead had nothing to offer. Totally neutralised Bradford when they couldn't play the man before the ball was punted into the box.
Well done to the ref, welcome him back any time.

+1

Away ref let them pretty much do what they liked.

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 18 Mar 2015 09:35

I listened to the Radio Berks commentary at the match (usually worth it for the laughs, but not recommended when the atmosphere is as good as Monday's game). Mick Gooding's main commentary throughout the game was banging on about how rubbish the referee was, and how he got EVERYTHING wrong. Ruined the game, broke up play, every decision wrong, blah, blah, blah. Kn*b end.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 18 Mar 2015 10:17

I thought he was overly picky as well tbf

Got the big decisions right, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 18 Mar 2015 13:21

ladida_gunner_graham I listened to the Radio Berks commentary at the match (usually worth it for the laughs, but not recommended when the atmosphere is as good as Monday's game). Mick Gooding's main commentary throughout the game was banging on about how rubbish the referee was, and how he got EVERYTHING wrong. Ruined the game, broke up play, every decision wrong, blah, blah, blah. Kn*b end.

Don't agree
Thought he was one of the best at Madejski all season

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1