Smallest Attendance You've Been Part Of

arthurfondrelli

Smallest Attendance You've Been Part Of

by arthurfondrelli » 08 Apr 2015 10:20

What is the smallest attendance of Reading fans you have been part of?

Home - Welling in the FA Cup, 01/02. About 6,000 from memory

Away - Bolton away this season. 209

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Smallest Attendance You've Been Part Of

by Sanguine » 08 Apr 2015 10:40

Home - Leyton Orient in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, or whatever it was called then. LDV Vans?

We won 1-0, attendance was 1,561. I'd got out of hospital that day after having my appendix out. Was in a lot of pain and it's lucky the game was shit, as I couldn't really stand up straight.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 08 Apr 2015 10:48

Reading v Peterborough, Madejski Stadium, 11/08/99 - Second game of the season, League Cup. Tommy Burns era, Freezing cold Tuesday night. Official attendance 4,615, but seemed a lot lower. Those who stayed away made the right choice as it was a dull and worthless 0-0- draw.

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/110899.html
Howie was obviously under instruction to make a complete twat out of himself inside the Reading box. No calling for the ball, no organization with the defence and a couple of suicidal attempts to gather balls flying right across and out of the area.

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 08 Apr 2015 10:49

Sanguine Home - Leyton Orient in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, or whatever it was called then. LDV Vans?

We won 1-0, attendance was 1,561. I'd got out of hospital that day after having my appendix out. Was in a lot of pain and it's lucky the game was shit, as I couldn't really stand up straight.

Full Members Cup before it was sponsored?

I've been in a few sub 2,000 gates at Elm Park in the early 80's. At that time you would literally know everyone who went to an away match apart from a couple of big away attendances a year. The players used to come into the supports bar looking for Reading fans to give complimentary tickets too. Often there would be less than 50 Reading fans at these matches. The likes of Shrewsbury, Bradford, Chester away mid-week spring to mind.

Happy days!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 08 Apr 2015 10:52

Spin off - What was the lowest reported attendance at the Madejski Stadium for a Reading first team game?

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 08 Apr 2015 10:56

There was a second game against Orient in the same trophy, I think we won 2-1 and there was a crowd of around 2,500.

I was away at Macclesfield in 1998 and there was a crowd of 2,900, probably my lowest for a league game.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Apr 2015 11:08

I was one of the few who made it to that Derby match 5 or so years ago, mainly due to living in Derby at the time.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 08 Apr 2015 11:09

Sunderland away - 19 April 2005. 12pm kick off and on sky tv. I seem to remember roughly 200 away fans but I'd like to know the exact figure if anyone can find it. Little mackem lad in the chippy asked me "Oh manye youes bringin?" and looked astonished when I said at least 100!

Hahnemann made save after save in front of us all (!) in the first half to keep it to only 1-0 as the Champions elect played us of the park. But this was the Coppell era and of course we nicked an equaliser towards the end and then Kitson got the winner form the penalty spot. Cue absolute mayhem around our cavernous empty stand!

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 08 Apr 2015 11:13

Winchester Royal There was a second game against Orient in the same trophy, I think we won 2-1 and there was a crowd of around 2,500.

I was away at Macclesfield in 1998 and there was a crowd of 2,900, probably my lowest for a league game.

Ah ha!

5th March 1991 Chester 1 Reading 0. Attendance 691. I was there and parked directly outside the away end. That's definitely the smallest attendance for a league game I've ever been to.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 08 Apr 2015 11:15

Went to the Wimbledon game at Selhurst park when their fans were boycotting the team, hardly any home fans in the crowd, about 2.000 Reading, didn`t stop us losing 2-0 though

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 08 Apr 2015 11:19

Z175 Sunderland away - 19 April 2005. 12pm kick off and on sky tv. I seem to remember roughly 200 away fans but I'd like to know the exact figure if anyone can find it. Little mackem lad in the chippy asked me "Oh manye youes bringin?" and looked astonished when I said at least 100!

Hahnemann made save after save in front of us all (!) in the first half to keep it to only 1-0 as the Champions elect played us of the park. But this was the Coppell era and of course we nicked an equaliser towards the end and then Kitson got the winner form the penalty spot. Cue absolute mayhem around our cavernous empty stand!

I was there for that, had broken my arm a week or so earlier so spent a lot of the game in pain. I think Sidwell got the equaliser and the result ended their run of eight consecutive wins? I went to Bradford with the uncle the day later to watch them play Hull City.

I was also part of a travelling support for 152 for Swansea in 2005. Still at the Vetch, and Lita got an extra time winner in a game we were dire in.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 08 Apr 2015 11:26

Z175 Sunderland away - 19 April 2005. 12pm kick off and on sky tv. I seem to remember roughly 200 away fans but I'd like to know the exact figure if anyone can find it. Little mackem lad in the chippy asked me "Oh manye youes bringin?" and looked astonished when I said at least 100!
Probably up all night peeling enough spuds for 4,000.

lolwut

by lolwut » 08 Apr 2015 11:35

1 of 147 away fans vs Ipswich on pancake day, 2011.

Ian Harte scored a gr8 freekick en route to a 3-1 victory.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Apr 2015 11:51

Forbury Lion Spin off - What was the lowest reported attendance at the Madejski Stadium for a Reading first team game?

I think that Orient game is our only attendance below 2,000 for a first team match at Madejski.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Apr 2015 11:54

Sanguine Home - Leyton Orient in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, or whatever it was called then. LDV Vans?

Was this game where it was absolutely lashing it down so they only opened the South Bank (or moved everyone in there from the Tilehurst End)? The few away fans were moved to the seats in the Family Enclosure to get out of the rain.

If so I was there, if not it was another LDV game with a minute crowd.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 08 Apr 2015 12:13

Stranded

Was this game where it was absolutely lashing it down so they only opened the South Bank (or moved everyone in there from the Tilehurst End)? The few away fans were moved to the seats in the Family Enclosure to get out of the rain.

If so I was there, if not it was another LDV game with a minute crowd.

No, it was at the Madejski in December and it has got to be the coldest I have ever been at a home game. On a par with Cardiff away in the FA Cup the year before

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 08 Apr 2015 12:30

Winchester Royal

I was there for that, had broken my arm a week or so earlier so spent a lot of the game in pain. I think Sidwell got the equaliser and the result ended their run of eight consecutive wins? I went to Bradford with the uncle the day later to watch them play Hull City.

I was also part of a travelling support for 152 for Swansea in 2005. Still at the Vetch, and Lita got an extra time winner in a game we were dire in.

Yep, was there fore both. Pedant mode on - Kitson scored twice at Sunderland, Sidwell won the penalty for the second. And Forster scored the winnner at Swansea. It's ok though mate, he's easily confused with Lita :wink:

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 08 Apr 2015 12:36

handbags_harris
Winchester Royal

Yep, was there fore both. Pedant mode on - Kitson scored twice at Sunderland, Sidwell won the penalty for the second. And Forster scored the winnner at Swansea. It's ok though mate, he's easily confused with Lita :wink:

Was at the Stadium of Light too, probably one of my favourite away games. We were very popular that night in Newcastle. TBF, it was Martin Keown coming on, that changed the game.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 08 Apr 2015 13:05

Crowd of 1,500 for the Autowindscreen Shield against Orient in 1999/00. Andy Bernal winner at the Madj in a truly miserable game.

Catterick Royal

by Catterick Royal » 08 Apr 2015 13:22

Boro away Dec 13 - probably about 90 away fans.............freezing cold.................lost 3-0. Not mnay more this season but at least it was warmer and we won.