Heartbreaking results

URZZZZZ

Heartbreaking results

by URZZZZZ » 20 Apr 2015 08:58

What are your most heartbreaking results??
For me its has to be the arsenal game or the playoff defeat to Bolton

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Heartbreaking results

by LUX » 20 Apr 2015 09:06

1. Walsall
2. Swansea
3. Bolton
4. Hundreds of League games. Wigan at home in Feb was pretty hurtful, for example.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Apr 2015 09:19

Blackburn 3-3 Reading. End of the era.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 20 Apr 2015 09:21

I am genuinely surprised that people would rank Swansea as more upsetting than Saturday. That's the one I'm probably least bothered about when I think of key games.

Difficult to pick an order but I'll go with this:

1) FA Cup semi final
2) Bolton
3) Wolves play off semi 2003
4) Walsall
5) 5-7 Arsenal League Cup
6) Burnley play off 2009. The end of such a magical era. So sad :(
7) Villa Cup qtr final
8 ) Swansea play off final

Funny how people see things different. It absolutely depends on your age though. And also the way the game pans out leaves a big imprint for me.

The enormity of what we nearly achieved on Sat is not lost on me. Perhaps people will realise when we don't get to another quarter or semi for over a decade. We were a whisker away from a one off game with Villa to become 2015 FA Cup Winners and potentially a tour of Europe. I am absolutely gutted and heartbroken.

Lenny The Tramp

by Lenny The Tramp » 20 Apr 2015 09:28

Bolton, by a country mile. Should have been won by half time. At the time, I thought we'd never have another opportunity to get to the top flight. But the club has changed beyond all recognition, and for every set back in big games now, I have a bit more faith that we'll get another day/season in the sun.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 20 Apr 2015 09:30

both Walsall and Swansea were full of hope. And Bolton at 2-0.

All three ended up like kicks in the teeth. What was it, 3-0 after 20 minutes v Swansea?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 20 Apr 2015 09:34

Swansea held absolutely no hope for me. I always felt we'd lose & turned up to try & enjoy the day somehow (which I did because of the 2nd half).

Swansea had made us look like a pub team in the 2 prev league games and subsequently did in that 1st half of the final so it's quite far down the list for me.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 20 Apr 2015 09:41

I think Walsall was worse as we should have easily won that game, not helped by Cardiff fans making a sign saying "see you next year" for us all to see on the way back, Swansea we had hope and a chance but Khiz put paid to that pretty quickly. Arsenal we all expected a thrashing so losing narrowly just seems a but easier to take.

I'd still like us one day to get some luck and profit from someone elses mistake in one of these big games, surely we'll win the next one?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Apr 2015 09:42

MmmMonsterMunch Swansea held absolutely no hope for me. I always felt we'd lose & turned up to try & enjoy the day somehow (which I did because of the 2nd half).

Swansea had made us look like a pub team in the 2 prev league games and subsequently did in that 1st half of the final so it's quite far down the list for me.

I think the big thing about the Swansea game was we almost had it, 3-2 and then THAT shot, if not for an inch of the post it would have been 3-3 with all the momentum with us. Add Long in tears after the game made it heart-breaking.

I very much saw mirrors with Long and Federici.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 20 Apr 2015 09:47

I'm very impressed by the optimism of my fellow nobbers ref: Swansea. I always felt we'd get an absolute caning in that game.....

Seeing Long cry was awful though. That was probably worse than the result really - knowing that he was leaving & the squad would be ripped apart.

But then we went and got £5m for Mills, won the fcuking league & everything was rosy (for a while anyway)

Lets hope the parallels are the same for next season!

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 20 Apr 2015 10:10

Lenny The Tramp Bolton, by a country mile. Should have been won by half time. At the time, I thought we'd never have another opportunity to get to the top flight. But the club has changed beyond all recognition, and for every set back in big games now, I have a bit more faith that we'll get another day/season in the sun.

+1

There really isn't much of a contest for this IMHO.

Considering where we were at the time it is without doubt the most crushing defeat I've ever witnessed. It took me months to get over it.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 Apr 2015 10:12

Thing is, i wouldn't be as gutted as i am today about Saturday, IF we had just lost......not lost cos of a goalkeeping error.

Anyway, for me

1. Bolton PO Final
2. Swansea PO Final
3. Portsmouth 0-1 Fulham

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Apr 2015 10:14

Angry Shed Sex
Lenny The Tramp Bolton, by a country mile. Should have been won by half time. At the time, I thought we'd never have another opportunity to get to the top flight. But the club has changed beyond all recognition, and for every set back in big games now, I have a bit more faith that we'll get another day/season in the sun.

+1

There really isn't much of a contest for this IMHO.

Considering where we were at the time it is without doubt the most crushing defeat I've ever witnessed. It took me months to get over it.

I think it's a generational thing, I'm 25 but back during that play-off final I was only 5, I don't think I'd even chosen a team to support at the time.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 20 Apr 2015 10:15

Swansea, Bolton and Walsall.

The whole season depended on those games.
After the Swansea and Walsall games we planned to meet up and drink in Cardiff/London with mates and ended up pissed off and catching the first available train home.

Unlike Saturday when we stayed up tarn drank ourselves stoopid and caught the last party train home. We lost but Hey Ho!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Apr 2015 10:19

Saturday really wasn't heartbreaking for me, it's the one Wembley/Millenium Stadium occasion where I had very low expectations and to perform at a level way above those expectations is a source of pride rather than heartbreak.

Bolton was heartbreaking, as was Walsall. The Swansea bubble was deflated pretty quickly on the day and it turned into an exercise in damage limitation.

Derby away in 2008 was heartbreaking, getting mullered at home by Bristol Rovers was heartbreaking and humiliating but the only match I've ever cried at was a 0-0 draw at home to Hull in 1988 which confirmed my first relegation as a Reading supporter.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 20 Apr 2015 10:43

I thought we'd be OK after Bolton, and knew we would after the Walsall play-off.

Saturday ranks with the Burnley play-off defeat and the Arsenal 7-5 as coming close to breaking my heart.

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 20 Apr 2015 10:58

1.) 3 May 2009: Reading 1 Birmingham City 2
2.) 12 May 2009: Reading 0 Burnley 2

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Apr 2015 10:59

1) Bolton
2) Walsall
3) Swansea
4) Wolves Semi Final

Saturday is miles behind those. In fact I may have been more gutted after the Burnley P/O Semi, and maybe even some league games.

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 20 Apr 2015 11:02

1) Bolton

2) Walsall
3) Swansea

4) Arsenal

To echo some above, losing a play-off and the awful realisation that you're stuck in the same league for at least another season is much worse than a cup game loss IMO. Having said that to come so close to beating Arsenal and a shot at the final feels much worse than if we'd been spanked out of sight, especially because of the manner in which they scored their winner.

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 20 Apr 2015 11:15

1) Arsenal
2) Swansea
3) Burnley Play-Off Semi
4) Derby 0 - 4 Reading

I think the fact that we went 3-0 down so quickly against Swansea meant that it was easier to cope with.

The fact that during the Arsenal game there were moments when I genuinely thought we were going to do it and how close we were to making history made it alot worse.

I'm also only 22 so don't have much recollection of earlier games. I do vaguely remember some other play-off defeats but I was far too young to really understand.