2012-2015: worst signings

Which was our worst signing over the past 3 seasons?

Guthrie
11%
Pobrebnyak
11%
Kelly
0%
Drenthe
29%
Norwood
No votes
Cox
No votes
Yakubu
3%
Ferdinand
32%
Knight
11%
Other
4%

Total votes: 206
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: 2012-2015: worst signings

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Apr 2015 14:57

There's also the fact that Pog's wages could be used to pay for 2, possibly 3 players who will complete the team better.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Apr 2015 15:03

The same could be said for Drenthe.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Apr 2015 15:16

genome The same could be said for Drenthe.

True, but he only lumbered our wage bill for 18 months, even if we hadn't sold him, he was off this summer anyway, While I appreciate Pog has been one of our better players this season, he is, for us anyway, an average Championship player earning a Premier League wage, all because of big contracts with no relegation wage drop, thanks Anton.

If someone offered us nothing for Pog, just to take him off our hands we would accept in a heartbeat.

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 24 Apr 2015 15:53

Floyd, this is a tough one.

When Blackman and Akpan are only poor enough for the 'Other' bench, you know the competition is stiff. I like Drenthe's appalling attitude and lack of commitment, but similarly admire Ferdinand's ability not to miss a single episode of Homes Under the Hammer due to any inconveniences placed on him by the club. Yakubu has actually managed to put on weight since joining in January, with early promise being somewhat dampened when we saw it took three colleagues to remove his shirt pitch side. That kind of physique doesn't come from wasting your afternoons in the gym. Guthrie holds a special place for many Reading fans with the greatest talent to self-perception gap in living memory.

The field is strong, so good luck to anyone who wants to complete this task without feeling we've largely showered our money on dreck. I certainly know my season ticket money has been spunked away very effectively indeed.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 24 Apr 2015 16:22

ladida_gunner_graham Floyd, this is a tough one.

When Blackman and Akpan are only poor enough for the 'Other' bench, you know the competition is stiff. I like Drenthe's appalling attitude and lack of commitment, but similarly admire Ferdinand's ability not to miss a single episode of Homes Under the Hammer due to any inconveniences placed on him by the club. Yakubu has actually managed to put on weight since joining in January, with early promise being somewhat dampened when we saw it took three colleagues to remove his shirt pitch side. That kind of physique doesn't come from wasting your afternoons in the gym. Guthrie holds a special place for many Reading fans with the greatest talent to self-perception gap in living memory.

The field is strong, so good luck to anyone who wants to complete this task without feeling we've largely showered our money on dreck. I certainly know my season ticket money has been spunked away very effectively indeed.

chuckle

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 24 Apr 2015 16:24

leon
Maguire Drenthe is the worst signing of all time. Just a lazy mental case who's wasted his talent.

Really harsh putting Pogrebnyak alongside him - works his balls off in a way that Drenthe never would.

All Pog needs is a decent foil to play alongside him.

Guthrie for me every time.

this^^^

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Apr 2015 16:36

maffff For me it'd have to go with Bridge with Drenthe a close runner up. Ferdinand and Knight aren't behind.

I don't see how anyone can suggest Bridge was a bad signing. Yeah he got injured but before that he was excellent and he'd played a full season for Brighton the year before so it wasn't like we gambled on a crock.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Apr 2015 16:43

Pogrebnyak. Cost a mint and we were stuck with him for four oxf*rd years.

Ferdinand at least shouldn't have cost too much.

Drenthe was an utter waster on too much money, but we got shot of him reasonably quickly at least.

Knight, Travner and Yukubu run Ferdinand close for most pointless signings of recent years.

Only just pipped by Cedric Baseya and Brett Williams, but at least they only cost us a couple of mars bars.

theresayakonthepitch

by theresayakonthepitch » 24 Apr 2015 17:09

Pretty sad state of affairs when most of the signings in this period are strong candidates to be the worst.

I think Hammond has to be held to task for his involvement and I can't believe he has kept his job as long as he has.

We have signed some really poor players and continually fail to attract class ones to the club.
The one that really gets me is Carrico. I finally thought we'd got a class player. We supposedly chased after him for a year and finally got him. Then he plays 3 games and gets loaned to Sevillia where he is widely acknowledged as helping them win the Europa league. Why did we let him go?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Apr 2015 17:16

theresayakonthepitch Pretty sad state of affairs when most of the signings in this period are strong candidates to be the worst.

I think Hammond has to be held to task for his involvement and I can't believe he has kept his job as long as he has.

We have signed some really poor players and continually fail to attract class ones to the club.
The one that really gets me is Carrico. I finally thought we'd got a class player. We supposedly chased after him for a year and finally got him. Then he plays 3 games and gets loaned to Sevillia where he is widely acknowledged as helping them win the Europa league. Why did we let him go?

Because he spent virtually the entire season we needed him injured, he didn't want to play in the Championship and we couldn't afford him.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Apr 2015 19:38

theresayakonthepitch I think Hammond has to be held to task for his involvement and I can't believe he has kept his job as long as he has.

And what is his involvement that he should be held to task for?

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 24 Apr 2015 19:45

Other: Wayne Bridge

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Apr 2015 19:54

Good in the local community etc tho'

Think there might be a just little more to come from him yet

Not necessarily all pitchside

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 24 Apr 2015 19:58

Daniel Carrico, on reflection (I voted Ferdinand).

A Europa League winner that was, apparently, not good enough for Reading. Worst signing just because the then manager failed spectacularly to get any service out of someone who clearly was a very good player.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 24 Apr 2015 20:02

Libertine Other: Wayne Bridge

Only because he got injured though, he was essentially a good player.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Apr 2015 20:03

Dave-Royal
AthleticoSpizz Good in the local community etc tho'

Think there might be a just little more to come from him yet
Ferdinand will be gone in summer I no
well bless my soul....thanx for that Bave, who knew?

another Guthrie vote, possibly the catalyst that dethroned McD

Honourable mention for Marriapa.....came, played his part in our relegation, left.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Apr 2015 20:52

I'm going for pog in terms of value (or lack there of) and restrictions it placed on the club. Ferdinand was useless but didn't really influence anything that much. Not sure how cox, Norwood or Kelly make that list tbh.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 24 Apr 2015 20:57

CountryRoyal I'm going for pog in terms of value (or lack there of) and restrictions it placed on the club. Ferdinand was useless but didn't really influence anything that much. Not sure how cox, Norwood or Kelly make that list tbh.

Are you seriously rating a player who has done nothing over one who has played regularly and contributed goals?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Apr 2015 21:13

West Stand Man
CountryRoyal I'm going for pog in terms of value (or lack there of) and restrictions it placed on the club. Ferdinand was useless but didn't really influence anything that much. Not sure how cox, Norwood or Kelly make that list tbh.

Are you seriously rating a player who has done nothing over one who has played regularly and contributed goals?

Yes, because if you do nothing and aren't selected, you aren't getting in the way.

Pog contributed a certain amount of goals, but his position in the club and the financial burden of his contract meant we couldn't afford to go out and get better strikers.

Blindly obvious to me.

Edit: no I don't RATE him higher, but the question wasn't which player you rate the least, it was who you thought the worst signing was. I answered and provided explenation as well.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 24 Apr 2015 21:31

CountryRoyal
Yes, because if you do nothing and aren't selected, you aren't getting in the way.

Pog contributed a certain amount of goals, but his position in the club and the financial burden of his contract meant we couldn't afford to go out and get better strikers.

Blindly obvious to me.

Edit: no I don't RATE him higher, but the question wasn't which player you rate the least, it was who you thought the worst signing was. I answered and provided explenation as well.

I can read the question!

You have clearly not read it though. It is pretty clear that a signing who has never played has to be a worse signing than one who has contributed week in week out. On your logic if we signed Messi and he never actually played for us that would be a good signing. That is obviously nonsense. Sorry.