Summer Rebuild

1897 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Summer Rebuild

by Nameless » 15 Aug 2015 13:28

royal_cornwall
Nameless I think his problem will be that we have a style of play throughout the club. If he wants to play differently then the last 10 years of youth development goes out of the window.

So no club ever changes their manager for one with a different style to his predecessor?

Yes, obviously !

You think there aren't repurcussions when it happens ?

If your Academy are producing players who aren't the type the manager will select you've got a problem. Of course the club and manager will know this, they aren't stupid, but if (say) a manager doesn't use traditional wingers it's a bit of a shame for the Academy wingers coming through, or if he wants big rugged centre backs who hit row Z then your cultured ball playing young defenders see their first team prospects disappear....

royal_cornwall

by royal_cornwall » 15 Aug 2015 13:36

Nameless
royal_cornwall
Nameless I think his problem will be that we have a style of play throughout the club. If he wants to play differently then the last 10 years of youth development goes out of the window.

So no club ever changes their manager for one with a different style to his predecessor?

Yes, obviously !

Of course the club and manager will know this, they aren't stupid,

Exactly.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Aug 2015 13:58

Not really sure of your point here...

royal_cornwall

by royal_cornwall » 15 Aug 2015 14:36

Nameless Not really sure of your point here...

I don't see that as a manager/club problem. If the managerplays with no wingers or row z defenders It's a problem for those players, if they can't adapt into a different type of player they get shipped out? Surely this goes on all the time without repercussions to the club or manager.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 15 Aug 2015 14:45

If i were SC i would be on the phone to Ronald Koeman enquiring about Shane Long on loan. With Rodriguez back from Injury and this other new striker they have signed along with Pelle then Shane's chances must be less and less.
He did start today but was taken off to get Rodriguez on.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Aug 2015 16:28

If we got Shane for a season, I'd fancy us for automatic promotion at a minimum

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Aug 2015 16:34

royal_cornwall

I don't see that as a manager/club problem. If the managerplays with no wingers or row z defenders It's a problem for those players, if they can't adapt into a different type of player they get shipped out? Surely this goes on all the time without repercussions to the club or manager.

The problem is if you've spent 10 years developing players of a certain type for a certain style and then a new manager comes in, ignores that and plays a different style. You've then wasted 10 years of development time, effort and money because the players you've developed to cut down on transfer costs are now of no, or limited use.

It's sort of a long term equivalent of signing 5 people to play in a traditional route one 4-4-2 in the summer and then trying to play a cultured passing game from January onwards.

royal_cornwall

by royal_cornwall » 15 Aug 2015 17:45

Ian Royal
royal_cornwall

The problem is if you've spent 10 years developing players of a certain type for a certain style and then a new manager comes in, ignores that and plays a different style. You've then wasted 10 years of development time, effort and money because the players you've developed to cut down on transfer costs are now of no, or limited use.

It's sort of a long term equivalent of signing 5 people to play in a traditional route one 4-4-2 in the summer and then trying to play a cultured passing game from January onwards.

I understand what you're saying to a point but with a 319 days life span of a championship manager it's difficult to Develop any kind of youth team to play in the style of the 1st team coupled with the fact that how many youth players actually break into the first team of the club they were developed at?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Aug 2015 20:15

We've had about 15 youth players play for the first team in the last 12 months...

Completely agree with you about the conflicting interests of a manager needing instant results and the long term development of the club. The owners need to be sure the manager is clear on expectations and supported appropriately. If they want success this season then they will need to sacrifice the development of the youngsters, if they want the Academy to provide first teamlayers they need to allow the manager time.

My original point was that if Clarke's brief is to get immediate results then we need to accept there is a downside to that.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Aug 2015 21:42

loyalroyaldaz If i were SC i would be on the phone to Ronald Koeman enquiring about Shane Long on loan. With Rodriguez back from Injury and this other new striker they have signed along with Pelle then Shane's chances must be less and less.

He also scored one of their only goals and would surely have Premier League suitors if he were to go out on loan.

royal_cornwall
I understand what you're saying to a point but with a 319 days life span of a championship manager it's difficult to Develop any kind of youth team to play in the style of the 1st team coupled with the fact that how many youth players actually break into the first team of the club they were developed at?

If the club is Reading right now, lots...

The solution to this problem should be to appoint managers who fit the club's philosophy. It's one of the reasons why sacking Adkins was so short termist.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Aug 2015 22:14

We're not Leeds or Watford either. Our average managerial stay must be double or more the number you quoted.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 15 Aug 2015 22:21

loyalroyaldaz If i were SC i would be on the phone to Ronald Koeman enquiring about Shane Long on loan. With Rodriguez back from Injury and this other new striker they have signed along with Pelle then Shane's chances must be less and less.

He also started today instead of JR

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Aug 2015 08:30

Royal Rother Oh indeed, no argument there - I'm just saying, albeit from my armchair, that I'm not all that interested right now.

The short / medium term vision of promotion at all costs (as quickly as possible) is of less interest to me than developing a team from within.

A season of struggle with a young team this season could have paid long-term dividends. And helped stabilise the finances as an added bonus.

But I do understand the real world of modern football is too short termism for that vision to be maintained except in exceptional circumstances.

For me though, it's a shame and slowly leads to further disconnect.

But I still think we will do well this season, which is all good.

Well that's pretty much modern football through all levels.

Managers don't get time and young players move on at the slightest bit of interest too so long term planning isn't something a club can rely on.

We could spend the next 12 months building for next season with a load of youngsters but as soon as they look like they have something about them they'll be off to double their wages as a Premier League reserve and we'll be back to square one.

The constant turn over of staff and players just emphasises what a key role both Hammond and Dolan play in steering the club in the right direction.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 16 Aug 2015 13:18

So it actually looks like Hurtado could be the creative attacking midfilder we need rather than Fernandez, as Hurtado can play in the middle in the no 10 role as well as either wing.

We definitely needed to sign a player in the Sigurdsson mould I just thought we needed to sign this type of player as well as a winger rather than just a player who can do both, but once McCleary is back I wouldn't be surprised to see Hurtado playing behind Sa or possibly Blackman or a new striker. I think that would be what is strongest and if we get a new striker as well then the team is looking considerably better.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Aug 2015 13:53

It'll be behind Pog, obviously.

The Norwegian guy looks an ideal fit for the attacking midfield role, if there is any truth in that rumour.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 16 Aug 2015 14:25

Nameless It'll be behind Pog, obviously.

The Norwegian guy looks an ideal fit for the attacking midfield role, if there is any truth in that rumour.

I'm sure you'd like to think so but Pog has done nothing to prove he deserves a starting spot, I think Clarke would prefer Sa over him and if we get the new striker we are supposedly in the market for then Pog could find his game time is limited, especially if we play with a one striker formation.

I'm sure he will get his chance this season but is he a guaranteed first choice? No chance.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Aug 2015 18:31

RoyallyFcuked
Nameless It'll be behind Pog, obviously.

I'm sure you'd like to think so but Pog has done nothing to prove he deserves a starting spot, I think Clarke would prefer Sa over him and if we get the new striker we are supposedly in the market for then Pog could find his game time is limited, especially if we play with a one striker formation.

I'm sure he will get his chance this season but is he a guaranteed first choice? No chance.

We've got a bite...

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 23 Aug 2015 19:19

So we still need a striker and creative midfield player to play behind in the no10 role. Do we think we will get them?

Surely there is at least one more coming in, particularly as the owners have said we are still looking for a striker...

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 23 Aug 2015 19:30

As the window progresses now players will become available on an hourly basis, especially when premier league bosses need to name their squads of 25 the day after the window closes...it would not make sense for any player to remain at a team if they were not going to be included in their squad of 25. these players always start a cascade of players who move on.

we also need to hope that Rapid Vienna do not get into the group stages of the champions league lol

In all I still think a utility man (chalobah) and a striker will happen before the window shuts

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 23 Aug 2015 20:07

If money for a striker is as tight as Clarke says then any wages spent on a(nother) midfielder would be a waste.

1897 posts