Oliver Norwood i like him

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Oliver Norwood i like him

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Apr 2015 10:47

I know he has had a lot of stick on here recently, so I felt it was about time I posted that I think Norwood is possibly the best outfield player reading have got (other than Mackie maybe) at the moment. He plays with heart he can pass the ball ( which Mccleary, HRK and many others really cant do). If I was Steve Clarke I would be looking to build my team round him next year. I think those calling for his head are insane. I think he just needs a good run in the first team and some support in his ambition (ie not be the only player trying something on the pitch)
So I am firmly in the Norwood fan club and I think he could develop in to a reading great......

78royal

Re: Oliver Norwood i like him

by 78royal » 29 Apr 2015 10:56

hear hear

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 29 Apr 2015 11:25

linkenholtroyal I know he has had a lot of stick on here recently, so I felt it was about time I posted that I think Norwood is possibly the best outfield player reading have got (other than Mackie maybe) at the moment. He plays with heart he can pass the ball ( which Mccleary, HRK and many others really cant do). If I was Steve Clarke I would be looking to build my team round him next year. I think those calling for his head are insane. I think he just needs a good run in the first team and some support in his ambition (ie not be the only player trying something on the pitch)
So I am firmly in the Norwood fan club and I think he could develop in to a reading great......

I guess that you'll see a lot of support for these sentiments. Some of Norwood's early season play was amongst the most stylish and accomplished I've seen in a Reading shirt. But starting right now, he has to step up and be that player on a regular basis. It would be painful to watch him scratch around the team for a season or two, then leave. Sadly that's a possibility.

Ollie, for the sake of f*ck, get your sh1t together. We need you, like really, really badly.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Apr 2015 11:28

agreed.

started out looking a top player

but like cox, I don't hold out much hope for him staying , since it seems the manager just doesn't fancy him/doesn't fit with how he wants to play

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 29 Apr 2015 11:35

Is he Jay Tabb in disguise?
Probably not as he can pass a bit better and has scored for Reading, but like most of the squad has been inconsistent, his set plays accuracy dived bomb horribly, would seem to be the natural partner with Williams, but the partnership to date has not flourished as hoped.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Apr 2015 11:52

Tbh I don't rate Williams that highly, also I don't think he will be here next season, I would prefer to see a team like the one at middle borough towards the beginning of the season which was full of youth and pace with a ball player like Norwood line up was
Federici
Gunter
Hector
Pearce
Obita
Edwards
Kuhl
Norwood
Taylor
Cox
Mackie

More a reading side then over priced wannabes, that was a game played with spirit that we won 1-0

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 29 Apr 2015 12:11

Edwards is being released.

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 29 Apr 2015 12:18

linkenholtroyal I don't rate Williams that highly

I think you'll get less consensus on that view...
linkenholtroyal Edwards
Kuhl
Norwood
Taylor

...especially with a midfield as lightweight as this one.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Apr 2015 12:28

ok maybe im being a bit idealistic, but I think the start of the season we played better with the youth players than in the last couple of months

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Apr 2015 12:35

and the facts prove it the first 6 games of the season in the championship were 3 wins 1 draw and 2 losses a total of 10 points and the last 6 games 2 draws 4 losses 2 points so I propose that our second string midfield is actually better that our first team midfield.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 29 Apr 2015 12:43

I don't think anyone would dispute that Norwood is a player with a vast amount of ability and potential, however, I feel that he isn't suited to Championship football alot of the time.

Norwood is a player who likes to dictate the game, spraying long balls across the pitch with accuracy. Unfortunately in the Championship teams do not allow the opposition to dictate the play, your team mates quite often will not make the runs you'd like for options, or are simply not good enough to control it when they do receive the ball.

Most games in the Championship require your players to really dig in and fight for every ball and release it quickly, because the other team are pressuring you just as much, these sorts of games aren't suited to Norwood. As we've dropped lower and lower down the table our play and identity has faded, we're too nervous / lacking in belief to try anything. We're more panicky in midfield, no one wants to take the risk of holding the ball for too long or trying anything creative and thus the game passes Norwood by.

This also isn't helped by Clarke's tactics when setting up the team, he sets us up to be counter attacking and defensive, relying hugely on wingplay rather than through balls over or in behind the opposition back line. So we have Norwood playing slightly infront of the centre halves, but when he picks up the ball he is either closed down quickly or the only inventive passes he can make are out to the wingers who still have 2 players infront of them to take on.

I think the fact Clarke sets us up so defensively is part of the reason why we're so toothless in attack (lack of decent strikers is the main problem though), once we get to their box and are in a good position the only options that are shown are on either wing, the players in the centre don't make either enough runs or they're not good enough. So we end up seeing a back and forth of switching the play until we inevitably lose the ball.

I'd like to keep Norwood, but if a bid came in around the £1mill region I'd bite their hand off.

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 29 Apr 2015 17:09

ladida_gunner_graham
linkenholtroyal I don't rate Williams that highly

I think you'll get less consensus on that view...
linkenholtroyal Edwards
Kuhl
Norwood
Taylor

...especially with a midfield as lightweight as this one.

And Taylor is awful.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Apr 2015 17:30

melonhead started out looking a top player
Then settled into the Reading style of play

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 29 Apr 2015 18:15

Norwood and Cox have the massive advantage that Clarke doesn't like them, so something inside me makes me think that they must be great players.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Apr 2015 19:03

His absolutely superb Scholes-esque performance against Fulham at home will live long in the memory.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Apr 2015 19:16

Didn't see the Fulham game so everything I've seen from him has been pretty average. A decent stop gap while Kuhl develops a bit more.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 30 Apr 2015 14:12

i like Norwood too but i think you would be better to forget him - SC is not a fan

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1