Who should start at cb at birmingham

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Who should start at cb at birmingham

by linkenholtroyal » 30 Jul 2015 12:08

With a rejuvenated Ferdinand (which I fought I'd never say) keown hector mcshane all fighting for 2 places who do you think will start, I think hector and Ferdinand (btw I'm not adding cooper as he is Injured)

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Who should start at cb at birmingham

by tee peg » 30 Jul 2015 12:13

Ferdinand and Hector.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Jul 2015 12:14

McShane (c) and Hector.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Jul 2015 12:21

linkenholtroyal With a rejuvenated Ferdinand (which I fought I'd never say) keown hector mcshane all fighting for 2 places who do you think will start, I think hector and Ferdinand (btw I'm not adding cooper as he is Injured)

Anyone who dismissed Ferdinand because of his injuries was being very short-sighted, he showed in his very brief playing time last season how much quality he still has.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 30 Jul 2015 12:29

It's difficult but it's a nice problem to have.

I think it will be McShane and Ferdinand with Keown on the bench, to allow Hector some more recovery time after playing in two tournaments this summer.

Throughout the season I think Hector and McShane will likely be the preferred partnership, but if Ferdinand or even Keown start well, it could be their shirt to lose.

It was a shame for Cooper to get injured at a bad time and he's probably been pushed further down the pecking order now. Perhaps he will be loaned out when he's fit?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Jul 2015 12:37

tidus_mi2
linkenholtroyal With a rejuvenated Ferdinand (which I fought I'd never say) keown hector mcshane all fighting for 2 places who do you think will start, I think hector and Ferdinand (btw I'm not adding cooper as he is Injured)

Anyone who dismissed Ferdinand because of his injuries was being very short-sighted, he showed in his very brief playing time last season how much quality he still has.

He did look class in his cameo. But given that he only managed about 48 mins in the whole season, I don't think you can blame anyone for writing him off.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Jul 2015 12:41

Pepe the Horseman
tidus_mi2

He did look class in his cameo. But given that he only managed about 48 mins in the whole season, I don't think you can blame anyone for writing him off.

It's fair enough to be concerned about whether he'll be the same player after a big injury like that, but people were already deciding he was rubbish when his brief cameo suggested quite the opposite.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Jul 2015 12:43

Don't think anyone decided he was rubbish, they just assumed he'd never be fit enough to play.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Jul 2015 12:49

McShane and Hecs innit

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Jul 2015 12:57

Hector has to start if he's fit because of his form last season. I think he will be.

Ferdinand is probably the best central defender at the club and the most ready to play.

McShane probably isn't going to be fit and probably won't be first choice anyway.

Keown isn't really a centre back and isn't on the same level as those three yet.

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 30 Jul 2015 13:25

Maybe even go for a back 5 with Hec, McShane and Ferdinand which would allow Gunter and Obita to get forward more. Not sure if Clarke has ever used this formation though.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 30 Jul 2015 13:33

I don't know if I'm a fan of a back 5, but the game is always changing.

This has become more popular recently though, and would probably accommodate Gunter and Obita's abilities well.

Maidenhead Royal

by Maidenhead Royal » 30 Jul 2015 13:40

The back 5 is a stretch IMO given Clarke wanted more width, but if he did, it'd probably be:

Hector Ferds Mcshane
Gunter. Obita

Mccleary Quinn Fosu

Sa Samuel/Pog

More probably a 442 without Mcshane and with Norwood or Williams.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 30 Jul 2015 13:42

Hector will need a break from a busy pre season and will not be rushed into starting, then I think your looking at Fredinand and one of either McShane if fit or Keown.

Been impressed with Keowns pre season and warrants a starting role on merit but needs to be nurtured into the first team and not rushed

Side issue on the captaincy, think it's Williams all day, natural leader on the pitch and good energy for others to follow

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 30 Jul 2015 14:39

Can't really see Hecotr coming back into the squad. Clarke obviously rates McShane but unless he plays against Espanyol then it's very doubtful if Clarke will risk him for the opener (tho Clarke did make a point of saying how naturally fit he was as if he was paving the way.

Personally I've always subscribed to the view that the best individuals don't necessarily make the best partnership. I'd have no problem with Ferdinand and Keown starting and seeing how that goes whilst McShane and Hector get up to scatch.

Jano

by Jano » 30 Jul 2015 15:15

5 at the back, Ferdinand as a sweeper, not heard that before ;)

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Jul 2015 15:53

SCIAG Hector has to start if he's fit because of his form last season. I think he will be.

Ferdinand is probably the best central defender at the club and the most ready to play.

McShane probably isn't going to be fit and probably won't be first choice anyway.

Keown isn't really a centre back and isn't on the same level as those three yet.

Oh dear, you've done it again haven't you.

Anyone who thinks Anton Ferdinand has quality (and in this includes the major attribute for a centre back: concentration) is being extremely naive, and in the case of SCIAG, has their head firmly in the sand.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 30 Jul 2015 15:57

John Smith
SCIAG Hector has to start if he's fit because of his form last season. I think he will be.

Oh dear, you've done it again haven't you.

Anyone who thinks Anton Ferdinand has quality (and in this includes the major attribute for a centre back: concentration) is being extremely naive, and in the case of SCIAG, has their head firmly in the sand.

He looks alright when he's fit. Add in his experience and he's a decent asset at this level.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 30 Jul 2015 16:49

depends totally on hectors fitness/tiredness

Ferdinand and hector if fit and not tried
Ferdinand and mcshane if fit
Ferdinand and keown otherwise

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 30 Jul 2015 17:51

McShane and Ferdinand at CB, with Hector playing right back instead of Gunter :D