Are you?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 194
Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Are to unhappy Steve Clark is staying?

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 20 Nov 2015 14:04

Coppelled_Streets
Winston Smith Wasn't it Coppelled Streets that announced on here that 'at best' we would finish mid table, just before we broke the record for the most points in a season?

:lol:

Most of our pre-season predictions were off that season. ISTR I opted for 8th. No-one could have predicted promotion, let alone ripping the Football League a new arsehole. A very odd thing for you to bring up tbh.

Agreed, everyone gets a prediction wrong, it has no bearing on future comments in general

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 20 Nov 2015 14:06

WoodleyRoyal
genome Professional and romantic relationships are two entirely different things.

indeed after five years your job still sucks

I see what you did there!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 20 Nov 2015 14:09

Stranded
Royal Lady If Clarke wasn't looking to go, he wouldn't have spoken to Fulham in the first place. Then there would have been none of this rubbish. It seems entirely feasible that he threw his toys out of the pram because he couldn't take his backroom staff - none of whom I think we'd miss.

However, clearly the board couldn't afford to lose the entire coaching team a few hours before our next match - therefore, I reckon we'll be lining up a new manager and backroom staff and as soon as they are ready to come, we'll ditch Clarke and "his" backroom staff and good riddance I say!

None of this suggests he was looking to go at all.

Likely cause of events is he was focused on prep for tomorrow. Howe gets a call from Fulham saying we'd like to talk to your manager, we're willing to pay £x if we employ him or even just for the right to talk. Howe goes OK, Steve Fulham would like to talk to you about their position, you are free to talk if you wish. He thinks OK, I'm happy here but that could be an interesting opportunity - so he goes for the talk to weigh up what is best for him (as I think we all would).

If the deal was out of this world (both financially and professionally) he may wellhave gone, it clearly wasn't so he stays with an employer that he is happy working for.

We all know that football clubs will get rid almost at a drop of a hat, so I have no problem with this having happened - his position is exactly as tenable as it was last week. Only results will dictate if it remains so. Lose a few more and drop off the pace and the owners won't think twice about replacing him - he knows that, you know that. Loyalty is pretty much a moot conceit in football.

Unlikely to be that scenario, the 80k is neither here nor there, I reckon he thought there would be more.

Fwiw we are now stuck with him and his staff, I would have let them all go, and started again.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 20 Nov 2015 14:32

Coppelled_Streets Clarke: "You have to go and see what their plans are and see if it is more tempting than here. It wasn't."

He was interviewed by Fulham last year so already knew of their plans and set up.

This is exactly it though - the fact that he was interviewed for the Fulham job only around a year ago surely means he had a pretty informed idea of the club, its aspirations,finances etc that were sold to him and that he no doubt asked about. I very much doubt much of what Fulham now has to offer has changed so what on earth pulled him to go back for a second bite??. There are clearly a lot of holes in his thought process and it has ultimately ended up making him look very silly, for him personally its not a great bit of PR at all as board members of other teams will question his decision making if he looks elsewhere in the future.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 20 Nov 2015 14:51

holsgrove breaks a leg
Coppelled_Streets Clarke: "You have to go and see what their plans are and see if it is more tempting than here. It wasn't."

He was interviewed by Fulham last year so already knew of their plans and set up.

This is exactly it though - the fact that he was interviewed for the Fulham job only around a year ago surely means he had a pretty informed idea of the club

The Fulham owner has been making some pretty bold statements in the last 6 months or so about the change of plan there and what he is aiming to achieve.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 20 Nov 2015 14:51

maybe he wanted to find out if their plans changed

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 20 Nov 2015 14:53

leon
floyd__streete Dismissive and arrogant quote about RFC being his "best option at this time". Your wholly mediocre record suggests you might not be our best option, Clarkey boy.

Is that what he said?

What a twat. Get rid now.

Worse.

"I had a conversation with Fulham and decided that what I had here was better for me at this stage."

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 20 Nov 2015 14:54

Harpers So Solid Crew
Stranded
Royal Lady IFwiw we are now stuck with him and his staff, I would have let them all go, and started again.

Why?

Where were we a year ago?

Where are we now?

Progress surely???

ScepticalRoyal

by ScepticalRoyal » 20 Nov 2015 14:55

I hold no blame to the man. If I was in a workplace and got another job offer of course I would want to see the situation. He's decided the situation is better here and has decided to further commit to Reading FC. What's the issue? We're not Liverpool fans; are we?!? :shock:

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 20 Nov 2015 14:59

Might help reading the thread before you comment, chap. Pretty much nailed ''if it was my job etc" into a coffin by now.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 20 Nov 2015 15:00

ScepticalRoyal I hold no blame to the man. If I was in a workplace and got another job offer of course I would want to see the situation. He's decided the situation is better here and has decided to further commit to Reading FC. What's the issue? We're not Liverpool fans; are we?!? :shock:

Exactly!

Fortunately my career discussions are not played out in the media so my employer and staff can see who I might or might not be talking to,

Doesn't mean I will not do a professional job in the job I am in

But in the football business we have today, "loyalty" is for fans rather than players or managers

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 20 Nov 2015 15:08

Extended-Phenotype
leon
floyd__streete Dismissive and arrogant quote about RFC being his "best option at this time". Your wholly mediocre record suggests you might not be our best option, Clarkey boy.

Is that what he said?

What a twat. Get rid now.

Worse.

"I had a conversation with Fulham and decided that what I had here was better for me at this stage."

God forbid anyone in football management should be considering their career path.

I seriously can't believe the seethe.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 20 Nov 2015 15:17

weybridgewanderer [But in the football business we have today, "loyalty" is for fans rather than players or managers

bit of a cloche that. not even sure it is true tbh, look at clubs like Chelsea and fickle their fans are.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Nov 2015 15:21

Winston Smith
weybridgewanderer [But in the football business we have today, "loyalty" is for fans rather than players or managers

bit of a cloche that.

A small translucent cover for protecting or forcing outdoor plants, or a woman's close-fitting bell-shaped hat?

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 20 Nov 2015 15:24

Ok then, TFF.

Lets put all managers on rolling contracts. If they're fired, no compo and free to move as they like.

Lets see how many managers would like that. If contracts mean nothing to them, lets do it. Surely it would benefit them, no? Especially if they're "ambitious" and willing to jup at every average opportunity.

Also, its telling that a number of former RFC players have come out condemning Clarke for what he's done. I'm assuming they're better informed as to how this will effect the club than the likes of you.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 20 Nov 2015 15:31

should have a manager transfer market in line with the players. Would stop the poaching of managers mid season, and would reduce the number of sackings

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 20 Nov 2015 15:35

Lacoste Ok then, TFF.

Lets put all managers on rolling contracts. If they're fired, no compo and free to move as they like.

Lets see how many managers would like that. If contracts mean nothing to them, lets do it. Surely it would benefit them, no? Especially if they're "ambitious" and willing to jup at every average opportunity.

Also, its telling that a number of former RFC players have come out condemning Clarke for what he's done. I'm assuming they're better informed as to how this will effect the club than the likes of you.

If clubs respected the contracts they gave their managers you might have an argument. We were quick enough to get rid of Rodgers, McD and Adkins when it suited.

I would have thought the last people to be condemning Clarke would be players - given the value they typically put on club loyalty.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 Nov 2015 15:38

People on social media are just dumb :lol:

Don't worry TFF i'm with you here....

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 20 Nov 2015 15:40

Perhaps I'm wrong then

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Nov 2015 15:40

:lol:

436 posts