Re: Welcome back Brian?

by sputnik » 16 Dec 2015 21:01

Oilroyal Maybe the players respond to a descent down to earth bloke in charge

Felix Baumgartner is probs available

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Dec 2015 21:21

We've gone far too direct and are missing Hector sweeping up in midfield. Fernandez isn't a tackler.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 16 Dec 2015 21:26

Heard that Brian has been sneaked into the dressing room in a laundry basket for tonight's game

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Dec 2015 22:14

Reckon Olly Holloway has just nailed it: Old owner wants his mate back, new owners don't. If so, time the old one is reminded of the saying 'He who pays the piper calls the tune'.

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 16 Dec 2015 22:19

RoyalBlue Reckon Olly Holloway has just nailed it: Old owner wants his mate back, new owners don't. If so, time the old one is reminded of the saying 'He who pays the piper calls the tune'.

Or time the new owners were reminded me of reality and what Brian achieved at the club? I think we need him in for Sunday.

TheBaldOne

by TheBaldOne » 16 Dec 2015 22:53

Why does anyone want McDermott back? He doesn't know the players like he used to, and its not the same coaching staff, it just wouldn't be the same if he came back. We play a much more fluid game now, so let's get someone in who can build us up, rather than restrict the way we play. It's also clear the Thai's don't want him, so realistically when things inevitably get tough he'll be shown the door. I don't want us to go for a comfortable choice, I want us to get someone who will bring new ideas in and challenge the squad to fulfil it's potential. If I had to choose someone I'd go for Oscar Garcia or Karl Robinson,

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 16 Dec 2015 22:55

TheBaldOne Why does anyone want McDermott back? He doesn't know the players like he used to, and its not the same coaching staff, it just wouldn't be the same if he came back. We play a much more fluid game now, so let's get someone in who can build us up, rather than restrict the way we play. It's also clear the Thai's don't want him, so realistically when things inevitably get tough he'll be shown the door. I don't want us to go for a comfortable choice, I want us to get someone who will bring new ideas in and challenge the squad to fulfil it's potential. If I had to choose someone I'd go for Oscar Garcia or Karl Robinson,

His been recruiting players to fit Arsenals style of play. I'm sure he'll do more than ok
Last edited by Oilroyal on 16 Dec 2015 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 16 Dec 2015 22:56

TheBaldOne Why does anyone want McDermott back? He doesn't know the players like he used to, and its not the same coaching staff, it just wouldn't be the same if he came back. We play a much more fluid game now, so let's get someone in who can build us up, rather than restrict the way we play. It's also clear the Thai's don't want him, so realistically when things inevitably get tough he'll be shown the door. I don't want us to go for a comfortable choice, I want us to get someone who will bring new ideas in and challenge the squad to fulfil it's potential. If I had to choose someone I'd go for Oscar Garcia or Karl Robinson,

Ohhh shit. this will upset the Brian love brigade :D

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Dec 2015 22:58

RoyalinBracknell
RoyalBlue Reckon Olly Holloway has just nailed it: Old owner wants his mate back, new owners don't. If so, time the old one is reminded of the saying 'He who pays the piper calls the tune'.

Or time the new owners were reminded me of reality and what Brian achieved at the club? I think we need him in for Sunday.

No doubt he's already done that but perhaps others have pointed out his failings/weaknesses. It's their money so their choice.

Exactly this. If Brian wanted to be back and the Thais wanted him, he would be here already. I reckon some of those upstairs jumped the gun and the owners weren't at all pleased. If we want to have an old manager back, I'd rather have Sir Steve Coppell. This squad is better suited to his style.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 16 Dec 2015 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 16 Dec 2015 23:08

Ask yourself who you would genuinely prefer to work for?

The players don't need ideas, they are professionals & they know what to do. Just kick the ball in the fùcking goal.

What we need is a manager who builds a team ethic & commitment which is greater than the sum of its parts - and echoes that sentiment beyond the dressing room to the staff, fans & media.

There are attitude issues & confidence issues which require emotional intelligence, patience, and respect to be dealt with successfully.

If you want some flash prįck to bowl in like he's bigger than the club then fine. Even when he's successful then your idol will be gone within a year of promotion.

We haven't chosen Brian, he's chosen us.

If you can't understand what an asset that is then I feel sorry for your soul...

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 16 Dec 2015 23:26

Cureton's Volley Ask yourself who you would genuinely prefer to work for?

The players don't need ideas, they are professionals & they know what to do. Just kick the ball in the fùcking goal.

What we need is a manager who builds a team ethic & commitment which is greater than the sum of its parts - and echoes that sentiment beyond the dressing room to the staff, fans & media.

There are attitude issues & confidence issues which require emotional intelligence, patience, and respect to be dealt with successfully.

If you want some flash prįck to bowl in like he's bigger than the club then fine. Even when he's successful then your idol will be gone within a year of promotion.

We haven't chosen Brian, he's chosen us.

If you can't understand what an asset that is then I feel sorry for your soul...

This post sums up why we should go back to basics with Brian at the helm so perfectly. The players aren't super intelligent and they need man managing even if they are all individually gifted players. Sky pundits tonight kept saying we have a team of "excellent individual players". No mention of team. if the Thais question BM's ability to unit a squad and his desire to return to us and make Reading FC great then it's best they appoint someone else.

McDermolenko

by McDermolenko » 16 Dec 2015 23:51

BREAKING: Brian McDermott agrees Reading return to replace Steve Clarke as Madejski manager

Brian McDermott is set to be appointed as Reading's new manager after agreeing a return to the Championship club.
The 54-year-old will be unveiled by the club on Thursday morning after replacing Steve Clarke at the Madejski Stadium.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z3uWvSmUd4

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Dec 2015 23:55

Bring it on

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Dec 2015 23:58

McDermolenko BREAKING: Brian McDermott agrees Reading return to replace Steve Clarke as Madejski manager

Brian McDermott is set to be appointed as Reading's new manager after agreeing a return to the Championship club.
The 54-year-old will be unveiled by the club on Thursday morning after replacing Steve Clarke at the Madejski Stadium.

Not exactly saying anything new is it.

McDermolenko

by McDermolenko » 16 Dec 2015 23:59

CountryRoyal
McDermolenko BREAKING: Brian McDermott agrees Reading return to replace Steve Clarke as Madejski manager

I'd say 'The 54-year-old will be unveiled by the club on Thursday morning after replacing Steve Clarke at the Madejski Stadium' is kind of new, wouldn't you?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Dec 2015 00:00

CountryRoyal

:|

"Will be unveiled on Thursday morning"

McDermolenko

by McDermolenko » 17 Dec 2015 00:05

Can we get some early predictions as to whom his staff will be? I can see one or two refusing to rejoin.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Dec 2015 00:11

McDermolenko
CountryRoyal

I'd say 'The 54-year-old will be unveiled by the club on Thursday morning after replacing Steve Clarke at the Madejski Stadium' is kind of new, wouldn't you?

Didn't we all know this already, deep down?

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 17 Dec 2015 04:17

Martin Kuhl “You would like it, one way or the other, to be sorted out. The players want to know. The coaches want to know what is going on.”

This thing needs to get sorted out more sooner than later. It shouldn't be, but this uncertainty is affecting team's on-field results/effort by being a distraction.

My first post on this thread I said Brian, while a legend, was the wrong man at the wrong time for this job. I have reconsidered that statement. I am now thinking he is the right choice to fix a lot of what ails this club right now. Despite questions about his tactical nous his skill is being a man manager, it has always been his strength. He has got on with all the players he's coached, here and at Leeds, often times getting them to play up to, and sometimes beyond, their potential. If anyone can reinforce having pride in putting on a Reading FC uniform, and being part of this club, and have the chance to be able to get the most out of this group of players it is Brian. He'll be able to talk the talk because he has already walked the walk with here...

But even if it isn't him, the club needs to get this sorted and get someone in asap.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 17 Dec 2015 06:34

You do have to wonder though, if Brian is so good, why hasn't he been able to get a manager's role elsewhere? It's not as if there is much competition at the moment.

Hard to get excited really, unless nostalgia over one good half-season counts as excitement. However he is probably the best man for us at the moment given the extremely limited options available. Hopefully he's been spending time getting to grips with basic tactics and now understands that having favourites and excluding others isn't always the best approach to team harmony. If he can iron out his weaknesses and build upon his strengths then hopefully this will all end happily.

We move on (or not as the case may be).

1226 posts