BFTG: Wolves away

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG: Wolves away

by Muskrat » 26 Dec 2015 22:11

floyd__streete
Dove :lol: .

Dove is actually another way of saying dived, although not so much common parlance these days. HTH.

Vicky Pollard

by Vicky Pollard » 26 Dec 2015 22:18

I have no idea how we lost that. Parked ourselves in the Wolves half for the second 45, completely dominated but couldn't find the goal. Too many intricate passes- WE ARE NOT ARSENAL, JUST SHOOT THE BALL!! Norwood had the right idea and was unlucky not to score a belter. Blackman needs to practice using his right foot in his back garden because he is so one footed it is embarrassing. Ola John looks a class act, immediate impact and need to see more of him.

Overall really frustrating to lose to such an awful team.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 26 Dec 2015 22:23

That match just demonstrated how fine the margins are in football. On another day we're 3-0 up against a struggling side and will coast to victory. Instead we were treated to a toothless performance in the final third, which was hampered by one switch off at the back to let one of the smallest players on the pitch score a header from a set piece.

I don't have a solution as to why, but we are just so ineffective playing against teams that camp on the edge of their own box. Crosses are ineffective for our sub 6ft attackers against mountain centre backs, and the tippy tappy passing around the box looks good when it comes off (Piazon against Fulham), but it seems to come off one time every 100.

Seeing Long bag a brace for Saints is genuinely upsetting. His transition from frustrating overweight striker to complete sfinisher in his final 18 months with us was a joy to behold, and it's annoying that after several years of development we didn't get more of a chance to benefit from it.

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 26 Dec 2015 22:32

JIM need a proven goal scorer in jan sales.
Get rid of all the try converters we have, or teach them to keep the shots down at chest level-

Cureton is still banging em in, top goal scorer for the Daggers, gotta be worth a punt.

Blackman has been found out and is far too greedy, he has got to go along with Vydra, Sarr and Piezo (aint electric any more).

Too many foreigners, too many egos ,we need some passion, how about bringing back Mad Dog he would kick some arse.

DaddyKuhl

by DaddyKuhl » 26 Dec 2015 22:35

Do not understand people who slate the passing football. I thought we were passing it well and our moves broke down because players got their heads down and ran into cul de sacs. To break down 9 men who park the bus like that you need to pass the ball around them and create space not just run into them?! Lack of off the ball movement didn't help either...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Dec 2015 22:39

We still play too centrally, it's no wonder we got crowded out.

Whip the ball in the box more, the keeper is more than likely going to fumble one of them and if it falls in the box we have a chance.

I know it's not pretty but when was the last time we scored from a goal mouth scramble? It's those sort of goals whcih epitomise a desire and fight.

We're good in the middle of field but clueless in either box and that's a recipe for disaster.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 26 Dec 2015 23:04

Playing hrk costs us again. He is shite and definitely not a lone striker.

Blackman is wasted on the right, mcleary has to play on the wrong wing and it's all to accommodate hrk who does not deserve to be starting games.

Ola John is also on the bench as a result.

We should play our best wingers - John and Mcleary and two of our three best strikers. Sa/Vydra/Blackman.

This is not hrk's fault. He tries hard but is just not very good. McDermott needs to drop him ASAP.
Last edited by Basingstoke Royal on 27 Dec 2015 09:08, edited 1 time in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Dec 2015 23:15

Just got home and finished stuffing some Christmas leftovers. I thought we were a little bit unlucky to lose that, we deserved a draw based on the balance of play and chances. Both sides should have had a penalty and both hit the woodwork. The difference was they took 1 of their chances and we didnt. Looked like a typical mid table clash and thats where us and Wolves will finish. We have too many loan signings in our squad. How are we suppose to build a team that gets into the premier league if we are going to have a completely new squad next year? We have some quality players but it felt like we signed them just because they were available rather than signing them to fit our system.

My player ratings are as follows:

Bond - 4. Totally at fault for the goal in my view. He never comes out for crosses into the box. Since his error at Sheffield Wednesday he always stays on his line. I want to know what Dave Beasant does with him in training as he and Al-Habsi are so shakey (GET BIBBO BACK ASAP!) Pretty poor distribution but better than normal.

Gunter - 6. Was solid but his dive in the 2nd half was embarassing. Thought he put in some decent crosses. He needs to improve the attacking side to his game if we want to play the way we are trying to effectively.

McShane - 6. He played ok, thought he gave the ball away far too much in dangerous positions in the first half though.

Hector - 5. Some good runs but very poor defensively. I am glad he is off to Chelsea. Hopefully we can start to blood Jake Cooper finally.

Quinn - 6. Not as good as he was v Blackburn. He looked quite tired and was rightfully subbed. Worked hard however.

McCleary - 3. He has been so poor recently. Wasted a golden chance as well. Wouldnt be upset if he left us in the summer.

Norwood - 8. MoM. Another very good performance from him. Very unlucky not to score from the shot that hit the woodwork.

Williams - 7. Typical Williams really. Worked hard. Needs to stop shooting so much from far out though.

HRK - 5. Not a bad player away from home, thought he did a decent job holding onto the ball. Wasted some great chances in the first half though. Another player I wouldnt mind losing when his contract expires.

Vydra - 3. He needs to just go. He's a waste of space. Had many opportunities in great positions to shoot yet his decision making was really poor. He obviously isnt suited to the way we play and he also missed a great chance. Massively overrated player.

Blackman - 5. Again he is too selfish. He needs to learn to pass the ball more when we are in good areas. He is a skillful player but he seems to think he is better than he is. He is wasted on the wing though and he needs to be playing in the hole or as a striker.

Fans - 2. Really poor turn out from our fans and didnt make much noise either. No surprise though when you have lost 5 away games on the spin.

In January we need to sign 4 players, Taylor is one I hope we sign as he is good cover at left back. If we had the money I would try and get Ola John in permanently as well. He is a fantastic talent with the potential to be a mid table premier league player. He definitely needs to start ahead of McCleary on Monday!
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 26 Dec 2015 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 27 Dec 2015 00:01

CountryRoyal We still play too centrally, it's no wonder we got crowded out.

Whip the ball in the box more, the keeper is more than likely going to fumble one of them and if it falls in the box we have a chance.

I know it's not pretty but when was the last time we scored from a goal mouth scramble? It's those sort of goals whcih epitomise a desire and fight.

We're good in the middle of field but clueless in either box and that's a recipe for disaster.

We do and we'll continue to do so if we keep playing such one footed players on the wrong sides.
Each time McC or Blackman receive the ball their natural first touch takes them inside instead of out to the wing and they narrow the play,
At least swap them over occasionally Brian!

quickwingerswife

by quickwingerswife » 27 Dec 2015 00:05

So far so bad., what!s McDermott been looking at for seven days. Why are these overpaid loungemonkies taking the piss out of a good set of travelling supporters.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 27 Dec 2015 01:05

Yes let's get balls into the box from out wide to our 5'5" striker who looks like a pre-pubescent child. Or maybe HRK can make a run from the wrong position he always finds himself in

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Dec 2015 01:35

blueroyals Yes let's get balls into the box from out wide to our 5'5" striker who looks like a pre-pubescent child. Or maybe HRK can make a run from the wrong position he always finds himself in

No you're right. Let's keep doing what we are doing because that's working so well.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 27 Dec 2015 02:37

OK - I'm back from watching the (extended) highlights on The New(?) Football League Tonight show! They didn't show Gunter's dive so no comment on that. Otherwise we looked very good and should definitely had a penalty early on when we were 0-0. They also had a good penalty shout but it was by no means as clear-cut as ours although I would have given it. Vydra had a great chance to equalise which he should have put away. It looked as if McCleary had a good game as did Norwood but I am aware how simply looking at highlights can be deceptive. But what I saw encouraged me and hopefully we can see some good results (at least 4 points please) from our next two games!

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 27 Dec 2015 03:21

CountryRoyal
blueroyals Yes let's get balls into the box from out wide to our 5'5" striker who looks like a pre-pubescent child. Or maybe HRK can make a run from the wrong position he always finds himself in

No you're right. Let's keep doing what we are doing because that's working so well.

Yes of course, because football is a binary sport where the only two approaches are hoofing the ball into the box from out wide or timid 5 yard passing around the box like you are implying.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 27 Dec 2015 05:36

No width, little movement and sooooo slow.

Always playing it narrow with ball to feet on edge on the box - after pondering a pass - rather than running past the defenders into the channels.

No standouts other than Quinn with two goal saving tackles, although the second should have been a pen and a straight red. HRK was ok for the first 30 mins before he lost interest.

Thank god John came on to brighten up a most turgid affair.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Dec 2015 06:27

blueroyals
CountryRoyal

Yes of course, because football is a binary sport where the only two approaches are hoofing the ball into the box from out wide or timid 5 yard passing around the box like you are implying.

Of course it isn't, yet you wouldn't know that watching us as we seem to favour the latter almost exclusively. We need to mix it up more often as we are far too predictable and easy to defend against.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 27 Dec 2015 08:01

Seems to me teams have done their homwork on Blackman, doubling and trebling up on him and showing him onto his right foot which he uses just to stand on tbf. playing him wide right is just clueless for me. our top scorer should be playing through the middle.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 27 Dec 2015 08:33

Third visit to Wolves. W2 L1

I like beer in bottles - keeps things moving in the concourse.

Stood the entire match with not a single grumble from the stewards. Badly out sung.

Spoke to some locals as we walked back to the car. They have no idea how they won that game (but were very grateful). Frankly nor have I. I've not seen us dominate a team like that for the second 45 minutes without getting anything.

I trust McD to find the answers. Got to do something about these loan players (lose one or two, sign one or two) to give him some wiggle room in January.

I thought we looked good for most of the game and would score most 7s or 8s. Apart from Vydra. John really deserves a start.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 27 Dec 2015 08:48

CountryRoyal Why start with the same team against Blackburn instead of the one which started the second half?

Yes.... that was disappointing :|

I actually thought HRK did ok, but agree - he should not be playing as a lone striker !

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 27 Dec 2015 08:51

Yet another game we should have won.Play Blackman as no.9 .Start with John.
Get a decent keeper and leave out Hector.