Something wrong at the club?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Something wrong at the club?

by andrew1957 » 16 Jan 2016 18:34

I know I will get labelled a conspiracy theorist and so forth but something seems to be wrong behind the scenes this season.

On paper we had probably the best ever assembled RFC squad at the start of this season and that seemed borne out by the early season form - then the team morale just crumbled away - but why?

Why have SC and now BM persevered with Vydra beyond all reason. Is this an instruction from the owners that he has to play?

Why is Sa not playing - perhaps a bad influence? Looks like he might get shipped out but why even place him on the bench if you are not going to use him as a sub? I thought he looked good earlier on in the season but something seems to have happened to change things.

Did SC get fed up with interference with how he managed and is that why he spoke to Fulham?

BM sounded very defensive in his BBCB interview this evening.

What is up? Any thoughts?

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Something wrong at the club?

by M Brook » 16 Jan 2016 18:56

Early season form was hardly impressive - it took us 5 games to get our first win!

There is something seriously wrong with our club. It has completely lost its way and, gradually, it is losing its fanbase. People are simply losing interest. The last two seasons have been simply awful. Sometimes I sit there and wonder why anyone bothers coming anymore. I appreciate that all clubs have their ups and downs - look at Chelsea - but we seem to have been on a downward spiral since our last brief sojourn in the Prem. Andrew is right, the acquisitions we made in the last window should have seen us mount a serious challenge this season.

No doubt those with RTGs will completely disagree with me but only a fool would suggest that all is rosy.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 16 Jan 2016 19:09

andrew1957 On paper we had probably the best ever assembled RFC squad at the start of this season

not sure if serious

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Jan 2016 19:13

Certainly were eye catching loanees and acquisitions for this level.
Almost had me feeling optamistic

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 16 Jan 2016 19:41

andrew1957 I know I will get labelled a conspiracy theorist and so forth but something seems to be wrong behind the scenes this season.

On paper we had probably the best ever assembled RFC squad at the start of this season

Hands up those who believed this was, even on paper, the best ever RFC squad.

Anyone? Anyone?

Just you then Andrew.

I agree there is something wrong at the club though. The players aren't very good.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 16 Jan 2016 20:12

I think you've read into things too much Andrew. Here's how I see things:

Clarke was given too much power over the summer, particularly in regards to the sacking of key staff members.

We brought in far too many loan players, but this was glossed over because we started to find our rhythm and got some decent results.

The decent football we were playing was found out by our opposition and Clarke failed to formulate an effective plan B.

Clarke's loyalty was called into question, and he effectively alienated everyone concerned with RFC including the board, fans and players.

He was riven his marching orders and what we were left with was a large group of temporary players playing for a manager who hadn't signed them.

I wouldn't read too much into something being wrong presently at the club, I just think the club (in a football sense) is reeling from a selection of poor decisions last summer. In a nutshell the season is a write off, but we will regroup and give it another go next season.
Last edited by WAZZOCK on 16 Jan 2016 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 16 Jan 2016 20:13

tmesis
andrew1957 I know I will get labelled a conspiracy theorist and so forth but something seems to be wrong behind the scenes this season.

On paper we had probably the best ever assembled RFC squad at the start of this season

Hands up those who believed this was, even on paper, the best ever RFC squad.

Anyone? Anyone?

Just you then Andrew.

I agree there is something wrong at the club though. The players aren't very good.

I think it was one of our best ever. :|

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 16 Jan 2016 20:15

Best ever RFC squad? Something wrong behind the scenes?

Get a grip. In sport there are winners and losers, we have had the best decade in the clubs history and now we are mid table in the 2nd tier. 'WHAT A DISGRACE!!!1!!11!!', 'HOW DARE THEY!!!1!!11!!' :roll:

we saw the majority of these players almost relegated us down to the 3rd tier last season and then we lost our keeper who was one of the best in the division. Vydra, McShane & Quinn all looked like decent additions. The rest had either underwhelmed previously or were coming from abroad and we had never heard of before.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jan 2016 20:17

Slightly unbalanced team struggling with form, changing the way it's playing under new management in not performing particularly well shocker.

Christ this place is full of those with an overindulged sense of entitlement and lack of any perspective. You can't just wave a magic wand and start winning every game.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 16 Jan 2016 20:35

AthleticoSpizz Certainly were eye catching loanees and acquisitions for this level.
Almost had me feeling optamistic

Clearly there was no money available for household names so in terms of what was available yes I think we did better than most. Its no coincidence that top wage earners went as the owners clearly wanted to balance the books, but this is not a sausage factory this is the championship !! there's absolutely no guarantees in football and had we spent £millions we wouldn't be guaranteed promotion just a massive debt.
I don't believe the owners interfere in team matters or signings, they are not footballing people. However like any investor they want success quickly and I think their patience will be tested ..

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Jan 2016 20:47

Agree, and yes the high wage earners were always planned to be culled.

However, despite their lack of allegiance... coupled with the new-found goal scoring ability of Nick Blackman I expected better from what seem to be talented players.....Vydra at this level was always exemplary....time to think again...take another step back....and start that rebuilding process YET AGAIN

It's the Reading way and it ain't so bad

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Jan 2016 21:03

Winston Smith we saw the majority of these players almost relegated us down to the 3rd tier last season

:lol:
and then we lost our keeper who was one of the best in the division. Vydra, McShane & Quinn all looked like decent additions. The rest had either underwhelmed previously or were coming from abroad and we had never heard of before.

John and Piazon were both high profile signings. Al-Habsi had a bad season but had previously impressed for Wigan. Taylor came with at least as good a reputation as McShane.

On topic, I think the reason Vydra keeps playing is because he's quite clearly our best forward.

I was willing to suppose that Sa was being left out largely because of his injury, but he should really be fit by now...

I'm also bemused by our continual avoidance of the set-up that saw us blow away all challengers in September. I think that is more to blame than "something wrong".

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 16 Jan 2016 21:12

SCIAG
Winston Smith we saw the majority of these players almost relegated us down to the 3rd tier last season

and then we lost our keeper who was one of the best in the division. Vydra, McShane & Quinn all looked like decent additions. The rest had either underwhelmed previously or were coming from abroad and we had never heard of before.

John and Piazon were both high profile signings. Al-Habsi had a bad season but had previously impressed for Wigan. Taylor came with at least as good a reputation as McShane.

What on earth was high profile about about Piazon? Yet another chelsea player out on loan but this one had flopped in 2 of his last 3 loans. Great stuff.

Not 1 person on here had heard of Hello John before he joined us. Please don't try and pretend otherwise.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Jan 2016 21:20

Winston Smith What on earth was high profile about about Piazon? Yet another chelsea player out on loan but this one had flopped in 2 of his last 3 loans. Great stuff.

Not 1 person on here had heard of Hello John before he joined us. Please don't try and pretend otherwise.

Jesus Christ, I went through this with Longhorn not too long ago. Just because you hadn't heard of them doesn't mean nobody else had.

They were exciting signings as they came with a reputation and a lot of potential, which is why many were excited at the prospect. A lot less knew about John for obvious reasons but a fair amount of us still knew who he was.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 16 Jan 2016 21:26

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 16 Jan 2016 21:30

There are too many loan players. The players that were brought into the club during the summer, may be good as individuals but do not appear to be team players. The rebuilding needs to start now for next year. Bring back Samual for a start, as we need players who want to play for the club and not just here for the money.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Jan 2016 21:34

Winston Smith :lol:

Yes, your ignorance is amusing tbf.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Jan 2016 22:31

Leave Ian out of this etc etc etc

Only joking

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 17 Jan 2016 06:59

CountryRoyal
Winston Smith :lol:

Yes, your ignorance is amusing tbf.

Surprised you could even hear me over the sound of your Ola John Benfica shirt tbh

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 17 Jan 2016 07:52

Rather a lot of goings on regarding Royal Elm Park, bit like when the new stadium was being built.
Let's hope relegation isn't the result again