How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

2058 posts
howser
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

by howser » 16 Jan 2016 22:50

Was very unimpressed when he was given the job, such a backwards step, he has favourites now and thats the same as his first spell here, just what Sa has done ?, if his non-playing is due to the Athens interest, then he shouldn't be even on the bench.

From what I remember of the Vydra that played and scored regularly for Watford, he wasn't played as the lone striker, he is a McCoist/ Cureton type striker, lives on the shoulder of the last defender picking up the scraps and rebounds, he is a chance player.

But on the down side we are probably stuck and will "go with what we have" to quote a well known Reading saying.

The other thing that confuses me is that we sell a player in 24 hours yet fart around for 24 days to bring someone, which normally means who we were looking at have gone elsewhere and we are left to attract the "also rans" that are available.

The club needs to look at itself to work out what direction we want to go in. Rightly or wrongly "little" Bournemouth have laid out between £18m-£20m, to try and protect their Premiership status, under the present structure at the Mad Stad, could anyone see Reading dip that deep into the transfer market.

pwb

by pwb » 16 Jan 2016 23:18

AthleticoSpizz lol......maybe they are.....that's why we are where we are

Unfortunately they are not being allowed to! Open your eyes, why did it take so long to appoint McDermott, because that's how long it took for Sir John and his cronies to persuade them to bring him back. The Thais wanted their own man and ended up with another waste of space and more wasted money. It will all end in tears.

Cut the apron string Sir John before it's too late!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Jan 2016 23:20

It'll come.....but meantime......maybe that's how some of us prefer it

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 16 Jan 2016 23:25

pwb
AthleticoSpizz lol......maybe they are.....that's why we are where we are

Unfortunately they are not being allowed to! Open your eyes, why did it take so long to appoint McDermott, because that's how long it took for Sir John and his cronies to persuade them to bring him back. The Thais wanted their own man and ended up with another waste of space and more wasted money. It will all end in tears.

Cut the apron string Sir John before it's too late!

+1

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jan 2016 23:51

AthleticoSpizz .....which calls the question.....just what do we want?

Yes it'd be nice to be Leicester City right now......but they'll be tomorrow's Bolton.

Think we need to stick with a manager for more than a year or two regardless of league(s) position

We should do what we usually do, which is stick by a manager who has a clear commitment to the club unless relegation is a very real possibility.

Rodgers was clueless, worryingly close to relegation trouble and alienated the person running the club day-to-day.
McDermott suffered from raised expectations from dodgy Russian billions, weak performance out of his depth and a looming relegation
Adkins wasn't doing a good job, but was a mite unlucky to go given how shafted he'd been by the Russian. Plus he was the old owner's man and not the new owners'. And he was unpopular with the fans.
Clarke was doing badly, though it was rather early to be worrying about relegation. But then he showed a lack of commitment to the club and effectively showed himself the door.

Providing McDermott can keep us clear or relegation trouble I don't see any reason to expect him to be sacked before November at least. We lack someone to lead the line for us and Vydra's being asked to do it when it's not really his forte. But then he's clearly the best forward we have. Woefully out of form, but his ability is obvious, if not actually coming off. Sa's a big worry, because he's the only senior player we have who's suited to leading our attack and giving us a physical presence upfront. HRK will do ok every now and then, but he's not what we want there permanently. And of course, it leaves us rather bereft of options on the left with John not showing much as a starter. Quinn on the left doesn't really seem to fit the system and he's certainly not McDermott's idea of a wide player based on everything we've seen from the manager before.

For me Piazon and Vydra should be competing for the same place in the team. If we had that physical striker leading the line with Vydra off him, if it's not working we bring on Piazon for him to make a difference. Get that frontline sorted and we'll start scoring more. Which will damage our opponents confidence, taking pressure off our defence and stopping us from losing as much to one unfortunate error at the back.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jan 2016 23:59

Longhorn1970
jojo1 considering we were 7th when jock strap went and now we are 12th i would have to with hold my judgment

Pretty much sums it up, I'll take 7th place, all this bullsh*t about BM inheriting someone else's team is rubbish. He knew who was here and what he had to work with, and on what budget (nil), he didn't have to take the job on those terms. Teams came here in Sep and October and said we were the best they had played, we weren't exactly doomed !

Steve Clarke's record this season
Points per game: 1.42
Last six games: 0.83 DDLWLL

We damn sure wouldn't have got seventh place under Clarke the way he was going (1 win in 8 ). We'd have been lucky to finish 14th.

McDermott's record this season 1.17 points per game. WLLWDL

We've lost one of the last four games we've played in all competitions. It's important to stop the rot, but we're bound to have set backs along the way. Judge him after a reasonable number of games, like 10 - 12 league matches. Right now one poor result (or one good result) skews things too far because the sample of games is still way too small.

The only thing you can judge on at the moment is the decisions he's making in team selection and shape... although obviously we have so little insight into what goes on outside the actual match. And on the way the team is trying to play. Some bad with the former, but the latter's been reasonably encouraging from what I've seen.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Jan 2016 00:08

Tbf and imho, Rodgers was just turning the corner when he got axed....Sir Steve was a hard act to follow....and yes, I sat there reading the advertising hoardings and my programme in preference to watching the game on occasions.

MaccyD mk1 should never had been sacked...failure in the a Premier is success for some of us old-timers......the priviledge was just to even be there.

Adkins...hung out to dry by all and sundry.......a good manager (even once touted as England's future) ...right guy wrong time....his tenure did himself more harm than us.

Steve Clarke...great signings...autocratic axings...could've been good for us...but compromised himself....and of course, was Scottish

MaccyD mk2...... Has inherited somebody else's team once again...will be happy to see him here in three or four years time.....at least we'll have something to work (and no doubt whinge) from.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 17 Jan 2016 01:40

The bloke i know who worked at the club with Brian has only good things to say about him with regards to him being a decent bloke and spreading his brand of down to earth, best foot forward philosophy. His tactics aren't always spot on, but neither were Adkins' or Clarke's and his signings have been fairly decent overall. All in all I'm happy with Brian as manager as a general improvement and a top half championship manager. Because he's returned rather than being new, i don't think he's had the benefit of a honeymoon period the way that other managers have, he's sort of just picked up where he left off.

We're not a promotion contender right now, its a bit of a lottery as to when the stars align for a team, but when that happens, i believe that Brian is the man to take the advantage. It's a shitty time now and there will be shitty times ahead. I just hope that the club has the balls to stick with him for the long term.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Jan 2016 02:02

Ian Royal We should do what we usually do, which is stick by a manager who has a clear commitment to the club.

When we hired Atkins and Clarke, did they strike you as guys that would have a 'clear commitment to the club'?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 17 Jan 2016 02:07

Adkins yes, Clarke no, but what do we know, it's all just subjective nonsense.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Jan 2016 08:38

It will take time to turn things around as this club has been a complete mess since Zingarevich spent what little money he actually had and he sacked Brian.

We can keep blaming managers but the players are getting away extremely lightly. Blackman was built up to be this great trouble maker but even if you believe people who have never liked the guy anyway and have cause to cast him in a bad light, no one can genuinely believe that he was the only member of this squad whose personality has caused this decline. They are good individuals but they are not a team and yesterday's result was so predictable.

Will it work second time around? Even as a fan of Brian I have my doubts but he deserves the right to give it a go. It's just a shame that the usual suspects who bayed for his blood the last time he was here and who bizarrely have this hatred for the guy despite all the things he has done for the club during his first spell can't put their personal issues aside and at least give him a chance now he's here. You can disagree with tactical issues during games but how any Reading fan can insult the guy personally the way the like of windemere, howser, etc do is very strange to say the least. Particularly when they show devotion to people who have been at the club and treated it like dirt.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Jan 2016 10:30

Denver Royal
Ian Royal We should do what we usually do, which is stick by a manager who has a clear commitment to the club.

When we hired Atkins and Clarke, did they strike you as guys that would have a 'clear commitment to the club'?

Adkins yes. And he did. Commitment was certainly not his problem. Clarke, i expected him to show more than he did, though it was obvious we were only ever a stepping stone for his ego.

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 17 Jan 2016 11:00

Delighted to have him back. Feel a closer connection to the club since his return. Yesterday was the biggest disappointment so far but it will take time. If we give him three years I'm confident he'll get us promoted again.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jan 2016 11:18

It was a mistake to re-appoint Brian (probably the influence of Howe and Madejski being cheap again) but now he's here he should be given a chance.

He has inherited a total mess thanks to Steve Clarke and has to act quick to start building a side that has belief, confidence and a style.

We need rid of the loanees we have (there's too many, a couple is fine but six is ridiculous) and we won't convert any of them to permanent (Taylor is the only affordable one we have anyway; Hector has only just signed for Chelsea (and has been unimpressive this season), Fernandez does't appear to be rated by the management, Piazon, John (perhaps the only loanee we have who appears worth it) and Vydra would be too expensive for us even if they wanted to come.

There is a lot that needs to happen in the summer to thin out and rebalance the squad. Hopefully there will be some further departures this month.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Jan 2016 11:28

RoyalinBracknell Delighted to have him back. Feel a closer connection to the club since his return. Yesterday was the biggest disappointment so far but it will take time. If we give him three years I'm confident he'll get us promoted again.

Unfortunately I think that promotion would more likely be from League 1. He's a one trick pony and when the 'togetherness' doesn't work, he is lost.

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 17 Jan 2016 11:37

RoyalBlue
RoyalinBracknell Delighted to have him back. Feel a closer connection to the club since his return. Yesterday was the biggest disappointment so far but it will take time. If we give him three years I'm confident he'll get us promoted again.

Unfortunately I think that promotion would be more likely to be from League 1. He's a one trick pony and when the 'togetherness' doesn't work, he is lost.

I honestly think McDermott is far too pragmatic to have us anywhere a serious relegation fight (unless things go drastically wrong in the ownership of the club).

I see No reason why he can't build the identity he's looking for over time.

RoyalX

by RoyalX » 17 Jan 2016 11:40

RoyalBlue

Unfortunately I think that promotion would more likely be from League 1. He's a one trick pony and when the 'togetherness' doesn't work, he is lost.

1) It's a pretty good trick
2) I'd rather a one trick pony than a no trick pony

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 17 Jan 2016 11:58

You have to remember two managers previous failed to get the team to click over several seasons. Brian has had only a few games.

It's obviously a difficult job and tbf we have seen some improvement in performance.

My only beef with McD so far has been team selection but tbh I'm starting to think his hands have been tied with Vydra and that there is more to the story with Sa than we know about.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Jan 2016 12:10

Extended-Phenotype You have to remember two managers previous failed to get the team to click over several seasons. Brian has had only a few games.

It's obviously a difficult job and tbf we have seen some improvement in performance.

My only beef with McD so far has been team selection but tbh I'm starting to think his hands have been tied with Vydra and that there is more to the story with Sa than we know about.

This.

He's the manager and he needs time. We bent over backwards giving Adkins and Clarke respect when they were both quite frankly shit. This guy has got a track record of success with us and the lack of respect "fans" on here show him is cnutish.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Jan 2016 12:18

Extended-Phenotype My only beef with McD so far has been team selection but tbh I'm starting to think his hands have been tied with Vydra and that there is more to the story with Sa than we know about.

Take Vydra out of the equation and what's left upfront?

As with Blackman there's something going on with Sa. Players have no loyalty these days. We need 11 players that want to wear the hoops. Not merely be concerned with the size of their wage packets.

2058 posts