BFTG - Rotherham

furthest flung fan

Re: BFTG - Rotherham

by furthest flung fan » 24 Feb 2016 16:34

Maneki Neko
furthest flung fan It's a bit weird commenting on a game that I had to get up early to follow using online newsfeeds from 13,000 miles away in NZ, but here goes! Sometimes distance brings clarity re the bigger picture...
Our form in the League has been hugely disappointing and 'turgid' would have to be the best word to describe the tedious flow of information that dribbled onto my screen this morning. The goal was a long time coming and was a huge relief. It seemed to come from nowhere.
However, has anyone noticed that since New Years Day, we've only lost two of 12 games, and we were only then beaten by the odd goal each time? We've scored 19 and only let in 10 goals. I know that most of that is inflated by FA Cup baloney, but nevertheless...we seemed to have stopped the rot that had set in earlier in the season and there's less far less red in the results column. Essentially, those draws now need to become wins...

welcome to the board.

but Pitt island royal wants his farthest flung fan award back[well bugger me! Dr Google tells me that he's 19,132 kms from the Mad Stad, while I'm a mere 19,123kms away! He's 9 kms further than me! I'll have to change my friggin name now! (if Pitt Island Royal is still there?)]

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 24 Feb 2016 16:36

hes called pitt island royal, but he doesn't live there, so youre fine

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Feb 2016 17:21

Vision
Hoop Blah
SCIAG First up, from the North Stand it looked like a stonewall penalty. Rotherham very unlucky.

I don't think that midfield was right at all. Norwood and Hector are both naturally defensive minded players. IMO in a midfield three you either need one defensive player (Norwood/Hector/maybe Fernandez) and two box-to-box (Williams/Quinn/Tshibola/Fernandez - not sure where Evans fits in), or two defensive players and one in a more advanced role. That could be Williams or Quinn with the right instruction, but I think Piazon or Rakels would make more sense. I don't think you can drop Norwood because he's such a threat at set pieces, and Hector's in good form, so I'd really push Quinn on or else drop him.

As it was, Kermogant was even more isolated than Pog ever was. I thought John and HRK had decent games, but Rotherham got too many back behind the ball and they struggled to break them down at times.

Dull game, typical of Warnock, glad we won.

Evans is an odd one. From what I've read and heard his natural position would be in front of the back four, as Hector played last night. Tshibola would be a similar role too wouldn't he? I'd expect both of them to be a little more adventurous than Hector though, as hinted at by the calling into BBC Berks last night. Norwood is kind of similar too though, which is fine if we want to play two players protecting the back four.

For me Quinns best role looks to be as the left of a 3 or as a more defensive wide midfielder to compensate for a winger on the right, as Clarke had as playing in September. He's such a good little player though he can probably be effective in anywhere in our midfield.

FWIW Evans sees himself as a box to box midfielder rather than a defensive/holding one. Certainly according to his interview shortly after he signed.

Exactly the type of player we were missing last night! Likewise Fernandez.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 24 Feb 2016 17:23

Hoop Blah
SCIAG First up, from the North Stand it looked like a stonewall penalty. Rotherham very unlucky.

I don't think that midfield was right at all. Norwood and Hector are both naturally defensive minded players. IMO in a midfield three you either need one defensive player (Norwood/Hector/maybe Fernandez) and two box-to-box (Williams/Quinn/Tshibola/Fernandez - not sure where Evans fits in), or two defensive players and one in a more advanced role. That could be Williams or Quinn with the right instruction, but I think Piazon or Rakels would make more sense. I don't think you can drop Norwood because he's such a threat at set pieces, and Hector's in good form, so I'd really push Quinn on or else drop him.

As it was, Kermogant was even more isolated than Pog ever was. I thought John and HRK had decent games, but Rotherham got too many back behind the ball and they struggled to break them down at times.

Dull game, typical of Warnock, glad we won.

Evans is an odd one. From what I've read and heard his natural position would be in front of the back four, as Hector played last night. Tshibola would be a similar role too wouldn't he? I'd expect both of them to be a little more adventurous than Hector though, as hinted at by the calling into BBC Berks last night. Norwood is kind of similar too though, which is fine if we want to play two players protecting the back four.

For me Quinns best role looks to be as the left of a 3 or as a more defensive wide midfielder to compensate for a winger on the right, as Clarke had as playing in September. He's such a good little player though he can probably be effective in anywhere in our midfield.

I think Tish is our best option for a defensive mid who busts a gut to get forward and support the attack too

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 24 Feb 2016 17:25

On the Pen you won't be able to see it on any of the replays, but cooper poked the ball away from the Rotherham players control.

Think the yellow was harsh as it wasn't a theatrical fall, but the ball was taken cleanly.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Feb 2016 17:34

RoyalBlue
Vision
Hoop Blah

FWIW Evans sees himself as a box to box midfielder rather than a defensive/holding one. Certainly according to his interview shortly after he signed.

Er what!? Fernandez is basically a Norwood clone.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 24 Feb 2016 17:42

genome Rakels was fine, just needs to try and stay onside

... and stop diving!

Esteban

by Esteban » 24 Feb 2016 19:01

ZacNaloen On the Pen you won't be able to see it on any of the replays, but cooper poked the ball away from the Rotherham players control.

Think the yellow was harsh as it wasn't a theatrical fall, but the ball was taken cleanly.

+1, although I think he might have got away with an elbow on Halford. Looked pretty obvious from where I was sat.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 24 Feb 2016 21:43

The 4-1-4-1 set up with Hector (or Tish) looks tailor made for Williams and Quinn in the centre of midfield. Just doesn't suit Norwood at all. The caller to BBCRB did miss the point as having a proper defensive midfielder should release the front five, not take up an extra player. It just didn't work with Norwood. He is looking like a bit of a one trick pony and I can see getting less and less game time under Brian, as Guthrie did. Next year's midfield could well be Tish, Quinn and Evans.

HRK did alright but he needed to be closer to Kermogant when John had the ball. And Kermogant just doesn't have enough energy to play as a lone striker. Brian needs to stop that experiment straight away.

Oh, and Rotherham were truly dire. I went to the away game and they looked a lot better then. Warnock hasn't done them any favours and it must be awful watching that every week.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Feb 2016 22:32

3points The 4-1-4-1 set up with Hector (or Tish) looks tailor made for Williams and Quinn in the centre of midfield. Just doesn't suit Norwood at all. The caller to BBCRB did miss the point as having a proper defensive midfielder should release the front five, not take up an extra player. It just didn't work with Norwood. He is looking like a bit of a one trick pony and I can see getting less and less game time under Brian, as Guthrie did. Next year's midfield could well be Tish, Quinn and Evans.

HRK did alright but he needed to be closer to Kermogant when John had the ball. And Kermogant just doesn't have enough energy to play as a lone striker. Brian needs to stop that experiment straight away.

Oh, and Rotherham were truly dire. I went to the away game and they looked a lot better then. Warnock hasn't done them any favours and it must be awful watching that every week.

Norwood's game is to pick up the ball and play it. Whether that's keeping possession between him and the back five, progressing it up the field with his fellow midfielders, giving width by going wide, putting it in to the striker's feet or over the top into the channel for someone. He's not a ball carrier, he shifts it quickly on. So it doesn't work when he's one of the ones who are supposed to be being a bit more adventurous and getting forward.

He's best off as the deepest of the midfielders, but not so deep as he has sometimes been that he's virtually a centreback. He's not a defensive midfielder but he can certainly tackle. He's best used releasing others forward. This is why he hasn't had as good a game recently because he's not been that deep playmaker. Hector's been in that area doing the defensive grunt work.

I think a midfield three like this should work. In fact we know it works.

...............Norwood
Williams................Quinn

Norwood makes the play, Quinn and Williams do the running and support their winger's, fullbacks and generally link up with the attack. They help the forwards press from the front. If we play it a bit flatter than we have been, with Quinn and Williams helping out the full backs, it allows the wide players to drift in more and support the lone striker too, as we saw at the start of the season. Tish can slot in for either of Williams or Quinn fine... Evans, not so sure where he'd fit yet.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Feb 2016 23:07

Problem is there's not enough tackling in that team

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Feb 2016 23:41

leon Problem is there's not enough tackling in that team

You missed the part where Norwood's a good tackler. And besides, you don't need lots of tackling ability if you're picking up your men and not being sold easily. Forcing passing errors and picking up interceptions is a more common (and better) way of winning the ball.

See James Harper. That Xabi Alonso quote, etc.

Norwood's our top tackler, Quinn 3rd and Williams 5th behind Hector, so there's really little in it anyway.
For interceptions it's Norwood, Quinn, Hector, Tish, Williams.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 25 Feb 2016 08:04

ZacNaloen On the Pen you won't be able to see it on any of the replays, but cooper poked the ball away from the Rotherham players control.

The way I saw it at the time, if Cooper did get anything on the ball, it was only after he had taken their guy out.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 25 Feb 2016 08:07

Ian Royal
RoyalBlue
Vision

Er what!? Fernandez is basically a Norwood clone.

Disagree. I think he gets about the pitch more and further forward than Norwood. I also think he is stronger on the ball.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 25 Feb 2016 09:14

Esteban

+1, although I think he might have got away with an elbow on Halford. Looked pretty obvious from where I was sat.

Hector definitely got away with a big elbow to the back of the head/top of the back on Halford.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 25 Feb 2016 09:35

Awful game.
Rotherham & particularly Halford a disgrace.
Despite this; I thought once again they all played well.

MOM Hector-cruised through the game.

furthest flung fan

by furthest flung fan » 25 Feb 2016 09:53

Maneki Neko hes called pitt island royal, but he doesn't live there, so youre fine
Phew!!

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 25 Feb 2016 10:29

I see Colin was up to his normal antics after the game. What is it with the bloke? He just can't help himself, can he. This was wrong, that was wrong. Will he ever do a post match interview where he praises the ref and doesn't have a pop at the opposition? Graceful in defeat.......he's turning into one cranky old geezer who's becoming boring now. Mind you, he made me laugh when he said, “I thought McShane was refereeing the game at one stage, All he needed was a whistle."

Chelsea/Royal

by Chelsea/Royal » 25 Feb 2016 13:36

If there was any player that needed elbowing it was Halford. What a monumental bell end. He flattened Cooper and got away with it, so it was retribution. Brilliant.

Norwood looks a bit leg weary. I'm not surprised because he has played in every game this season. I bet the Northen Ireland management team are keeping an eye on the amount of football he is playing. Same goes for Gunter and Robson - Kanu and Wales. They all have a busy summer at the end of a long Championship season.

Still mystified why we played Kermogant up top on his own against easily the worst team I've seen this season, and that includes Bolton!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 25 Feb 2016 13:40

Brum Royal
Esteban

Hector definitely got away with a big elbow to the back of the head/top of the back on Halford.

True but an act of retaliation after the ref had proved that he was going to do nothing to stop Warnock's thugs kicking the shyte out of our players. After that I think our players decided they were going to stick up for themselves. Situation created by Warnock and a ref who perhaps should have been showing red rather than yellow.