Sack The Manager... REALLY?!

191 posts
RoyalJack

Re: Sack The Manager... REALLY?!

by RoyalJack » 13 Apr 2016 21:23

And as for people scrambling to play the kids, is that the same kids who got beat 3-0 by KIDS the other night at home. We might have had a couple of u18's playing, one who has played in the first team and Osho who has trained with the first team.

How good are they, what is the track record. Looking at the last ten years awards, not many of our best graduates have played at our level or higher anyway. If there is anyone truly promising, I don't think sitting in the changing room at the moment is a good idea anyway unless they stop McShane and Williams fighting in front of the children!

Either Evans isn't good enough either or they are waiting to blood him in a less inhibiting atmosphere.

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 13 Apr 2016 21:55

RoyalJack
Either Evans isn't good enough either or they are waiting to blood him in a less inhibiting atmosphere.

Evans APPEARS to be similar to Norwood (but maybe goes forward more
and I have a definite feeling that Brian has him (Evans) lined up to replace
Norwood when he lets him go for money in the Summer.

I dearly hope I am wrong but I think we are just going through the motions,
cutting the wage bill as much as possible and then hoping to stay up.

I expect us to sell Williams, let HRK go. probably sell Norwood, maybe sell Cooper
or try to do a sell-and-borrow-back for a season. If an offer comes in for McCleary
he will go too and we'll promote Fosu and Stacey

I think there's a possibility Wigan might want their left back back, but I could see us signing
him and using Obita at LW, at least he'f be a left-winger who can tackle back

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 14 Apr 2016 02:37

I remember a game at home to Wimbledon. We lost 0-3 Radio Berks this board were bombarded with Coppell out, Coppell is clueless messages. He did ok? If anyone deserves time and a bit more respect than he is getting it's Brian.

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 14 Apr 2016 07:06

In 2016 Reading have played 5 of the top six teams in the Championship
and two Premiership Teams (beating one)

McDermott's 2016 record is P21 W7 D7 L7 27-27

In "ppg" that is 28 from 21 = 1.33 ppg = 59 point season = 14th the last two seasons.

That is after losing Blackman and Sa.

There is nothing "stellar" in the above, but considering the ten games
before he took over we were on a run averaging 0.6 ppg, that's a VG turn-around

23 P10 W1 D3 L6 10-18 -8 6 0.60 ppg L W L L L L Reading
24 P10 W0 D5 L5 07-13 -6 5 0.50 peg D L D L L D Bolton Wanderers

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Apr 2016 07:53

The worst thing about this season is our cretinous, impatient, reactionary fans.

Far worse than anything the players have served up and fast making me want to quit football.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Apr 2016 09:42

Agreed Ian.

Although, are we actually worse than other set of fans? I'm sure every club has its remtards.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 14 Apr 2016 09:54

Ian Royal The worst thing about this season is our cretinous, impatient, reactionary fans.

Far worse than anything the players have served up and fast making me want to quit football.

Whilst I suspect many of our fans are reactionary (right wing, conservative, authoritarian) I don't think it's what you mean here.

quickwingerswife

by quickwingerswife » 14 Apr 2016 10:10

Why should we keep a boring Manager?Players bored, fans bored, Radio Berkshire bored, Sally Taylor bored. I'm bored. Boring. McDermot's spin getting boring, same old comments each week. Freak off Brian.

quickwingerswife

by quickwingerswife » 14 Apr 2016 10:11

Boring

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Apr 2016 10:59

Ian Royal The worst thing about this season is our cretinous, impatient, reactionary fans.

Can I have your radio? :D

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Apr 2016 11:00

quickwingerswife Why should we keep a boring Manager?Players bored, fans bored, Radio Berkshire bored, Sally Taylor bored. I'm bored. Boring. McDermot's spin getting boring, same old comments each week. Freak off Brian.

:|

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Apr 2016 12:18

Far worse than anything the players have served up and fast making me want to quit football

So there is at least one upside.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 14 Apr 2016 12:23

Snowball136 Evans APPEARS to be similar to Norwood (but maybe goes forward more
and I have a definite feeling that Brian has him (Evans) lined up to replace
Norwood when he lets him go for money in the Summer.

Williams is marked for sale. I'd be surprised to see Norwood go as well. But agree Evans is seen as a player for next season.

Snowball136 I dearly hope I am wrong but I think we are just going through the motions,
cutting the wage bill as much as possible and then hoping to stay up.

Look at who's leaving on a free this summer, then all the loanees leaving, plus a Cooper and Williams being sold. Then consider reduced parachute payments this summer. We are in for a lot of change and even more disappointment next season, barring a miracle from several bargain buys this summer.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 Apr 2016 13:55

One8Seven1*
bobby1413 Fans whining about Brian should also keep in mind just how much experience he has in terms of scouting.

Couldn't agree more, Bobby. What we need is more:

Akpan's
Blackman's
Mooney's
Jo Mills'
Khumalo's
Manset's
Sheppard's
Antonio's (whoops)

:wink:

He has, on occasion, found a gem. But, if we sit here and go through all of his signings, he's not half as good a scout as some like to portray him as.

Every single manager has their list of dodgy signings. What's important is that when it's known that the signing is dodgy they get moved on very quickly as well. Coppell was the best at that. He gave guys a chance. For every Paul Brooker there was a Stephen Hunt. For every Owusu there is a Kevin Doyle. Coppell gave Brooker a go, saw that he was sh*t then shipped him out again. In came Hunt and Hunt proved to be quite useful so he was for keeps.

A manager should get in lot's of young players where it is not known if they are up to the standard of Championship football or not. Let them have a go and show what they can do. If they are no good then you move them on again. That is what good management is all about. But you need time to be a good manager. If you're only given five minutes in the job then you can't do what Coppell did so well.

Since McDermott left we no longer went for young, unproven, potential stars. We have to get back to that if we want to succeed and McDermott is the best man to get us back to the Reading way.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 14 Apr 2016 14:19

Sandman wins thread

:arrow:

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Apr 2016 14:22

People clamouring for Brian to start youth players (and I don't think there's a single good reason to do this) are the same people who will use the subsequent inevitable defeat to beat him up with too.

I'm amazed anybody is questioning the manager's position, it's totally mindless.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 14 Apr 2016 14:28

quickwingerswife Why should we keep a boring Manager?Players bored, fans bored, Radio Berkshire bored, Sally Taylor bored. I'm bored. Boring. McDermot's spin getting boring, same old comments each week. Freak off Brian.

Whilst this is mostly true, what's the bloke to do? The squad he inherited was never going to go up so why are complaining that we're mid table? Are you saying you don't trust what he'll do in the summer? Interested to know.
Maguire People clamouring for Brian to start youth players (and I don't think there's a single good reason to do this) are the same people who will use the subsequent inevitable defeat to beat him up with too.

I'm amazed anybody is questioning the manager's position, it's totally mindless.

I'd rather see youth play than the dogshit on loan. Could you please voice your argument for continuing with the current crop who will be leaving in 5 (valueless) games. Are you a Vydra apologist?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Apr 2016 14:30

Sack the scouts or head of talent acquisition.

Is Eamon Dolan still on sabbatical? - Whose in charge of the academy as we've not seen many come through the ranks recently.... although that might in part be due to the manager, Did McDermott blood any academy kids the first time around - Pearce, Gylfi etc were all blooded before he took over and Obita by Adkins.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Apr 2016 14:31

John Smith Could you please voice your argument for continuing with the current crop who will be leaving in 5 (valueless) games. Are you a Vydra apologist?
We need 1 point to be mathematically safe from relegation, whilst I'm confident we will avoid relegation there is an argument for not taking risks until you are safe.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 14 Apr 2016 15:02

Forbury Lion
John Smith Could you please voice your argument for continuing with the current crop who will be leaving in 5 (valueless) games. Are you a Vydra apologist?
We need 1 point to be mathematically safe from relegation, whilst I'm confident we will avoid relegation there is an argument for not taking risks until you are safe.

Pathetic

191 posts