Sack The Manager... REALLY?!

191 posts
royalsroyalsroyals92

Sack The Manager... REALLY?!

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 12 Apr 2016 22:56

I've been a season ticket holder most of my life, and I currently listen, watch and go to games as regularly as my job allows, and I think it's pretty clear to see that Reading are in a slump.

However, we were in a slum with Adkins, we were in a slump with Clarke, and we are currently in a slump with Brian McDermott, but sack him, Really? is that the answer? Is paying out another large compensation package on a manager really going to change what seems to be an unknown problem at the core of a club?

I thin Brian (and the previous two managers for that fact) has a really good reputation for getting the best out of teams and can get a squad gelling well together. As much bad as has been said about Clarke, and as much as i disliked him as a Reading manager, with West Brom he did do well - and even though he inherited a good squad, he kept them playing well and delivered some awesome results, and he was probably still quite hard done by that he lost his job. As with Adkins, again whether the squad is good already or not, its still a fantastic achievement to get a team back to back promotions. For those reasons, I really can't see them being BAD managers (not worldbeaters nonetheless), and I think if we put a good squad infront of them, they would've done well.

Now I'm not saying out squad is the strongest. The way i see it is that we have an average defence, with some great passion in places however not the most stable - however i see it as our strongest area. Midfield is average at best - and although we have players with some niche qualities, we lack allrounders and we also lack a togetherness as a unit, and I think the less said about the attack then the better! We are missing those Sidwell's, Doyle's, Kitson's, Long's, Sonko's and Shorey's that delivered amazing success - however no other team has reached 106 points for a reason! That was a team of a lifetime, and if you could just churn those out year after year after year, we wouldn't hold the points record and the whole of the footballing world would be a little competitive?

Also, i it that terrible if we have a few seasons of mid table football? It may not be too entertaining, but are we that spoilt that all the fans are crying about it and calling it the biggest crisis ever? Now I'm not old enough to remember (or even exist during) these times, but I'm damn sure I've seen that Reading were historically a 4th/3rd tiered club? and look at the top 6 now. A few years ago burnley, brighton, middlesborough, derby, sheffield wednesday and hull were all very average sides! Yes, some of them have enjoyed success in recent years, but let's just be thankful we aren't a Charlton, Bolton, Sheffield United, Wigan or (heaven forbid) a Portsmouth! Teams can pick themselves up and get back higher, but it is a simpler process (i believe) than selling a couple of players. There's a team mentality to be built and a family vibe within the club which I think is a much more difficult process. Can Brian provide that? I'm not sure, but he definitely deserves more time to have a go through adverse circumstances - whatever they are.

I really don't think anyone knows the problem with this club and what's going on behind the scenes however, while we search for a formula for success, I think it's apparently obvious to see that the way we've been going about it is nothing but. By hiring, buying selling high, buying low and then firing when it all goes bad and repeating - we've pretty much found a pretty good formula for failure, not the other way round - so I hope the owners have the sense and the patience to buy into a project and give something a bit of a chance.

The common denomination of recent years has been sitting there watching poor to average football, and that has been with 3 different managers, not just the one - so lets give Brian a chance. Is sacking him really going to help?

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sack The Manager... REALLY?!

by blueroyals » 12 Apr 2016 23:01

We gave Adkins and Clarke the chance to build their own squads before judging them so why not Brian?

Of course I fully expect it to be a total failure given our recruitment record over the last 7 years.

Then we'll be in the same position in 12 months with a new manager who has a different style of play!

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 12 Apr 2016 23:14

People are idiots.

Hes taken over a team that was shot already.we all know this,we watched it happen, we know the team is imbalanced and mentally weak,we know our two top goal scorers were sold,we know that half tje team are disinterested loanees and players who are off in the summer, we have no idea what constraints he is under behind the scemes. We know the club has been ripped apart with the anton debacle and suffered the adkins and Clarke mini eras. We know thats A huge ammount of upheaval after years of stability. And we know we were a whisker away from winning that game tonight. And yet somehow feel able to demand a complete turnaround in 4 months.

Lol :|

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 12 Apr 2016 23:23

I don't think we gave Clark much of a chance. He was booted out inside one calender year. That is not enough time. If Clark had 3 or 4 years then I think he would have got us up.

The problem with Clark though was that he didn't look like he would stay that long. He made a big mistake speaking to Fulham and that may have actually ruined his managerial career now. Maybe other clubs look at that and don't trust Clark anymore to give him a job if he is that much of a mercenary.

I'm not sure even Adkins was given enough time or support either. Shifting managers every year is a strategy that will guarantee alot more failure than success. Derby sacked Clement and for what? Any short-term improvement? Total waste of time making the change. A manager's success in his job should be measured over a 5 year period.

If he has a group that won't perform then he needs to recruit characters that will. Change takes time in football because of the transfer windows and player contracts. Nothing can be done instantly.

People always moan about Brian picking Cox and Vydra, but those are the strikers that he has. What else is he supposed to do? He can't change anything until the summer.

We have to be patient.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Apr 2016 23:32

Not only should we sack this manager I think we should sack the next one before he's even been appointed.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Apr 2016 23:32

Sometimes there's too much over analysis. This season started with too much hype. Clarke rolled the dice and lost. Not enough permanent signings. Too many imports from abroad as well.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Apr 2016 23:34

Top Flight I don't think we gave Clark much of a chance..

Why did Clarke walk? One suspects he knew it wasn't working out. Brian is now picking up the shambles.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Apr 2016 23:34

sandman Not only should we sack this manager I think we should sack the next one before he's even been appointed.

:lol:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 12 Apr 2016 23:41

So what has changed? Why doesn't Nicky Hammond walk?

Has Hammond lost control as Director of Football? Is he now undermined by the Thais. In that case why doesn't Hammond walk? Or does Hammond have exactly the same role as before..... ?

The Thais have to stop interfering with footballing matters. Leave it to the experts. Don't foist upon Brian a bunch of players who might be talented but don't have the bottle to fight in a dog eat dog division like the Championship.

You have to recruit the right characters as much as the right skills. The person has to be right in the head. Only Brian knows what he needs for his team. They should trust his judgement. That is why they hired him. Because time and time again he has proven that he has great ability to judge footballers. Otherwise Why would Wenger want him to run his eye over potential recruits for the Arsenal? A club that has consistently remained in the top four despite underspending their major rivals year after year.

Who scouted Doyle and Harper, Sidwell and Long, Shorey and Sonko?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Apr 2016 00:05

Top Flight You have to recruit the right characters as much as the right skills. The person has to be right in the head.

And so easy to get it wrong. Clarke bought in "future stars" in terms of the loanees . None have the bottle to fight it out week in week out. With the exception of Taylor. If Vydra was so good. Why didn't the likes of Hull buy him up?

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 13 Apr 2016 00:10

Glad to see that some people are in agreement! Let's keep it going with Brian. Give him 3 years at least - see what he can do with that, and then we can make a change if we need it.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 Apr 2016 00:20

royalsroyalsroyals92 Glad to see that some people are in agreement! Let's keep it going with Brian. Give him 3 years at least - see what he can do with that, and then we can make a change if we need it.

Don't be so short-termist. He needs 5 years minimum. I hope he is given the time.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 Apr 2016 02:07

I can see the justification for Adkins and Clarke's sackings.

Adkins was in a run of poor performances and poor results which then got topped off by the 6-1 defeat to Birmingham.

Clarke was in a downward spiral and showed no loyalty to the club in speaking to Fulham, yes he didn't really owe us any loyalty but at the same time if you're going to look for a new job, don't go for a club below us in the league, it makes no sense.

McDermott has a lot of history with the club and has already taken us to the Premier League with a low transfer spend, performing as a team rather than having talented individuals. So far he has shown, probably a mostly negative set of performances but there has been promising signs and still really is using mostly Clarke's squad.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 13 Apr 2016 06:51

Top Flight Who scouted Doyle and Harper, Sidwell and Long, Shorey and Sonko?

Sidwell and Sonko were through Coppell's time at Brentford. I think Doyle and Long were introduced by Eamon Dolan's brother or some other relative at Cork. Harper could be a McDermott find given the Arsenal link.

Personally I think Brian's return as manager wasn't ideal and would much rather have seen us take a shot on a young up and coming manager. However, now the club have appointed Brian they might as well back him, otherwise what was the point?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Apr 2016 07:19

Amazing that we signed Sidwell due to Coppell's contacts considering Coppell was Brighton manager when we signed him and Brighton were trying to sign him as well.

He scouted Doyle and Long as did Coppell and Hammond, you don't just immediately sign players because someone's brother recommended them. :lol:

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 13 Apr 2016 07:46

Top Flight
royalsroyalsroyals92 Glad to see that some people are in agreement! Let's keep it going with Brian. Give him 3 years at least - see what he can do with that, and then we can make a change if we need it.

Don't be so short-termist. He needs 5 years minimum. I hope he is given the time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Apr 2016 07:56

Here we go again - 'there have been promising signs' what exactly?

'He needs his own players' - well
(a) a fair number are familiar to him from last time around and he has also made some signings.
(b) More importantly, a decent manager should be able to do something with the team he inherits, particularly give (a)

Should he be sacked? He shouldn't have been appointed in the first place.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 13 Apr 2016 07:58

I agree with OP and much that has been said here.

People are idiots, and Reading FC fans do my head in. After the first 8 weeks of Brian in charge I was stunned to see tweets saying "another 2-3 losses and he's got to go".

Are people really that fcking thick to think a new guy can come in, find 30 odd players and immediately start winning and getting consistent results. Perhaps that would be possible if the team at the time was top of the league. But we were not.

Summer is the key in my opinion. I know for sure there will be massive changes. Brian I believe can do the job and I like his mentality - "it's about the group". Give him time, let him build his team the way he wants it.

I think the OP makes a really good point comparing us to teams in the top 6. Things aren't great, but we are mid-table in the Championship, hardly worth getting upset about. Things are in a bit of a rut, but I'm positive we will come out.

What is the alternative? Sack Brian, then what? Get some other person - then watch everyone say "why have we hired him?...." then everyone throws their toys out when we perform one game badly. Others say "why did we get rid of Brian?". It's rediculous.

I rarely actually agree with a manager being sacked and believe it happens too early all the time.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 13 Apr 2016 08:04

Brian McDermott will get 8-10 games next season to show what he can do.

If he fails to improve the team and the way we play he will be collecting the P45.

George_

by George_ » 13 Apr 2016 08:44

At the back end of last season when we were losing near enough every week (we won 1 out of the last 10 games including losing to Rotherham & Charlton and drawing with Blackpool with nothing performances, but "It's not Clarke's squad" and everyone said judge him in the summer.

This is NOT Brian's squad and we need to give him time. This summer is MASSIVE and the club need to get a lot right.

I know i would trust Brian to deal with this transition of new signings over the summer more than anybody else.

191 posts