BFTG Preston

127 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG Preston

by Lower West » 02 May 2016 22:30

RoyalBlue How else do you explain his obvious inability to get any fire into his teams?

That's down to the players. Managers can only do so much.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 May 2016 22:30

Top Flight
Ian Royal He could have played 4-4-2 with McCleary on the right and Quinn on the left.

He could have played 4-3-3 with Rakels on the left and McCleary on the right.

There were definitely other options, not necessarily great ones and it's disappointing he persisted with a system that consistently saw us massively exposed down our flanks when we don't have the best fullbacks defensively at the best of time. I don't think we'd have done significantly better with any other system given Ferdinand is immobile, Cooper is young and error prone and no one in our team could score five goals to save their lives.

Yeah, but Ian, he was deliberately excluding the loans.

Brian really can't win with us nobbers. Whatever he does he'll get criticised in different quarters.

He wanted to play Reading players. Even if they have to be out of position to fit.

That's what we've all been calling for on HNA in recent weeks. He does it and gets criticised again.
His players right now don't give a sh@t. Whether because of the Euros or some returning to their parent clubs, they just don't care. This season just needs to be shot and put out of its misery. Let's start afresh next season. I've renewed my season ticket and I'll be supporting us to the hilt next season. If Brian keeps us up I'll be happy and will consider that a job welldone as far as next season is concerned. Anything achieved above that I'll be absolutely delighted.

:|

Tell me, how many loanees in these team line ups?

Al-Habsi
Watson, McShane, Cooper, Gunter
McCleary, Norwood, Evans, Quinn
Rakels, Cox

Al-Habsi
Griffin, McShane, Ferdinand, Gunter
McCleary, Norwood, Williams, Quinn
Rakels, Kermorgant

Bond
Gunter, Cooper, Ferdinand, Owusu
Evans, Norwood, Quinn
Cox, Kermorgant, Rakels

I fully support Brian, I'm just trying to point out when you're talking twaddle, because in doing so, you're doing him no favours at all.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 02 May 2016 22:50

We've looked pathetic in a 433 recently as well.
Your 442 selection doesn't look like it would be all conquering either.
When your players are sh!t and when they just don't give a sh!t there is little you can do until the next transfer window rolls around.

We could have played any system on Saturday. We'd have still been sh!t. We'd have still lost and everyone would be offering their own formations and tactical ideas on HNA after the event.

Our uselessness is not tactical or down to formation. It's much deeper than that.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 May 2016 22:56

Top Flight We've looked pathetic in a 433 recently as well.
When your players are sh!t and when they just don't give a sh!t there is little you can do until the next transfer window rolls around.

We could have played any system on Saturday. We'd have still been sh!t. We'd have still lost and everyone would be offering their own formations and tactical ideas on HNA after the event.

Our uselessness is not tactical or down to formation. It's much deeper than that.

But he didn't have to play the diamond, which was my point. And I said we probably wouldn't have done much better. But it was clear for a couple of weeks that there was an enormous, glaringly obvious tactical weakness in playing the diamond, which certainly wasn't helping us.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 02 May 2016 23:43

When your players are not good enough and when they don't try hard enough you will lose matches whatever tactics you employ. That's my point.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 03 May 2016 08:34

BonBoh Reading have been flat for months every time Williams plays in midfield. Lots of huff and puff but zero quality.

Maneki Neko Have to have a moan about Williams... Get rid of him please

Agree, he was doing my head in, I'd like to see him go.

blueroyals Did anybody stay for the lap of embarrassment?

I did - initially I walked out when I could get down to the exit at Y25, went for a wee before leaving and thought, actually I will go and watch. Was pretty much empty, maybe 2000 fans stayed. Players looked a little sheepish tbf.

Berry owners that are looking to make money but are cautious to open the bank

Wtf are you on about? I really can not understand why some ignorant fans are blaming the owners in anyway. Can you explain how they have been cautious to open the bank? In my opinion, caution is wise, but your tone implies they haven't given the managers enough money.

SC spent a lot in the transfer window when he was there. In fact I remember on HNA? there were 90% of us (me included) jizzing our pants over our SUPERB squad, and how it was great that we were FINALLY spending money? In fact some claimed to be putting bets on us getting automatic promotion, and our back four for the first 4-5 games I think was the best in the league.

What is your suggestion? Get rid of the owners, and get rid of the manager? Why stop there? Kn0b

3points I also wonder if we would be higher up in the league if McShane had been partnered with Ferdinand a lot more this season. Cooper just looks like a mistake waiting to happen every game now.

Agreed, everytime Cooper is tracking back I'm waiting for him to slip, or to pass the ball to the wrong player.

Top Flight There is a lot of trial and error in football management. We saw that a lot during Coppell's reign. He brought players in: Owusu, Les Ferdinand, Brooker, Keown.... It didn't work, he moved them on and brought more players in Doyle, Hunt, Gunnarsson, Long, Lita etc. Then things worked.

Managers need time, patience and understanding so that they can make their mistakes, solve the problems and improve the team. It is completely unrealistic to expect a manager to take over a bunch of losers and turn them into a great side in 3 months without even a summer window to work with.

McDermott needs three years minimum before he should be judged.

Right now, he needs our support. That's why to quote one nobber "my head is so far up his arse I can't see the light of day".

100% agree... total sense has been spoken

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 03 May 2016 08:57

Pepe the Horseman Thought Johnson looked good for them. Was their best player in the away game as well.

I was wandering if we should be buying the best players of other teams in the Championship. It would be more likely to be successful than getting in more South American internationals or reserves from famous European teams. Would the Ola John £3 million be enough to prise Johnson away from Preston?

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 03 May 2016 09:32

Handsome Man
Pepe the Horseman Thought Johnson looked good for them. Was their best player in the away game as well.

I was wandering if we should be buying the best players of other teams in the Championship. It would be more likely to be successful than getting in more South American internationals or reserves from famous European teams. Would the Ola John £3 million be enough to prise Johnson away from Preston?

We got Blackman and Akpan by taking that approach.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 03 May 2016 09:35

ladida_gunner_graham
Handsome Man

They were division one, werent they?

We got McLeary by that approach. And wasnt Mariappa Watford's POTS when we bought him?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 03 May 2016 09:36

We've finished lower mid-table 2 seasons running and before the Thais took over we were close to administration but now we're suddenly going to poach players from better Championship sides?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 10:10

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
ladida_gunner_graham
Handsome Man

They were division one, werent they?

We got McLeary by that approach. And wasnt Mariappa Watford's POTS when we bought him?

We were Premier League when we signed McCleary and Mariappa. I don't think we could snap up top players from those types of Championship clubs this summer.

Brian has a track record of identifying and signing talented unknowns. He has been doing it for years. He is highly respected in the game for his judgement and ability to spot upcoming talent. So much so that Arsenal wanted him to perform that role for themselves.

We are lucky to have Brian McDermott at our club because with his skill and talents he will be able to find top players that won't break the bank and he will gel ordinary players into a winning team with fighting spirit. It should be an exciting few years ahead.

Remember how ordinary his team were that won the Championship title. Players like Gorks and Cummings, Pearce who can't even get into Derby's team. Noel Hunt, Karacan, Federici who is number 2 at Bournemouth, Ian Harte, Kebe (what happened to him since he left us?) McAnuff, Le Fondre (who can't get into Cardiff or Wolves teams). McDermott can achieve great things with ordinary players.

He wasn't a bad manager because we got relegated with a totally inferior squad. He was an amazing manager to get such a poor squad up there in the first place. We never should have fired him. He would have got them back the following year or the year after if he was in charge and then we never would have had to put up with all the gutless dross served up by Adkins and Clarke.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 03 May 2016 12:53

marlowuk
Royal Ginger I stayed for the wet lap afterwards but only because they announced the busses were being held.

The buses were not held. Once they were full of supporters fleeing from the disaster of a match, they went!!

Was on the second bus out straight after the final whistle. Driver literally wheel spun out of the car park.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 03 May 2016 13:57

Shouldn't be any excuses, it has been clear from the last couple of games or so that planning for next season has begun. Players places are up for grabs, apart from Al-Habsi and Barrett impressing in the second half it looked like no one wants to be here next year.

If I were Bryan, I would be looking to cash in on the following:

Cooper - Overated player full of mistakes, should we get £2 million+ its a no brainer
Norwood - A good Euro 16 will push his price up never mind interest from Bournemouth already
Williams - Time to move on, works hard but the only consistency in his game is the constant moaning at team mates

There must be around £6-£7 million in there should we sell the 3. I would like to think BMD would make good use out of a budget in and around these figures and bring in new faces where required.

The sooner this season is over the better.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 14:22

bracksroyal10 Shouldn't be any excuses, it has been clear from the last couple of games or so that planning for next season has begun. Players places are up for grabs, apart from Al-Habsi and Barrett impressing in the second half it looked like no one wants to be here next year.

Cooper - Overated player full of mistakes, should we get £2 million+ its a no brainer
Norwood - A good Euro 16 will push his price up never mind interest from Bournemouth already
Williams - Time to move on, works hard but the only consistency in his game is the constant moaning at team mates

There must be around £6-£7 million in there should we sell the 3. I would like to think BMD would make good use out of a budget in and around these figures and bring in new faces where required.

I would clear Al Habsi out as well to be honest. He wants to be with us. But he's not good enough.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 03 May 2016 14:32

Top Flight
bracksroyal10 Shouldn't be any excuses, it has been clear from the last couple of games or so that planning for next season has begun. Players places are up for grabs, apart from Al-Habsi and Barrett impressing in the second half it looked like no one wants to be here next year.

I would clear Al Habsi out as well to be honest. He wants to be with us. But he's not good enough.

Except the fact he was only shaky at the start of the season and has deservedly just won PotS.

Considering the amount of overhaul we supposedly need, is there any point replacing a dependable component of the team?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 14:40

tidus_mi2
Top Flight

Except the fact he was only shaky at the start of the season and has deservedly just won PotS.

Considering the amount of overhaul we supposedly need, is there any point replacing a dependable component of the team?

Maybe not. Maybe we keep him next season as we won't be winning any titles or promotions next year. And you're right, so much is going to change. In my opinion though, he is a liability. He costs us so many goals. He saves a few as well, but we need someone better if we want to challenge.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 03 May 2016 14:49

Top Flight
tidus_mi2
Top Flight

Maybe not. Maybe we keep him next season as we won't be winning any titles or promotions next year. And you're right, so much is going to change. In my opinion though, he is a liability. He costs us so many goals. He saves a few as well, but we need someone better if we want to challenge.

Agree that we maybe need another keeper or even better the return of Feds, although Al Habsi deserves a place in our squad at the very least. I wasn't convinced by Bond when he was getting a run in the side, nervous every time there was a situation where he had to use his feet.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 May 2016 17:32

bracksroyal10 Cooper - Overated player full of mistakes, should we get £2 million+ its a no brainer

With that approach might as well back us for relegation next season.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 03 May 2016 17:43

Lower West
bracksroyal10 Cooper - Overated player full of mistakes, should we get £2 million+ its a no brainer

With that approach might as well back us for relegation next season.

Disagree, hes had plenty of experience and opportunities to learn from his mistakes. The amount of times the ball has been given away at on the edge of our area to the opposition striker is frightening.

We could easily bring in 2 experienced centre backs for the money we would get for selling to a prem club.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 19:19

Ian Royal
Top Flight We've looked pathetic in a 433 recently as well.

But he didn't have to play the diamond, which was my point. And I said we probably wouldn't have done much better. But it was clear for a couple of weeks that there was an enormous, glaringly obvious tactical weakness in playing the diamond, which certainly wasn't helping us.

+1

Yes of course Mr. wise tactical genius. You are right. You are always right. Your view must not be challenged.

127 posts