Thanks Brian!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Thanks Brian!

by floyd__streete » 27 May 2016 12:47

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the decision today, a big thank you is due to Brian McDermott for the way in which he conducted himself during a difficult few months for the club and for himself. There are a number of moments from your first very successful spell which are up there in terms of my very favourite memories in the 30 years which have passed since my first Reading game. Not to mention of course the part you played in a very successful era before you became manager.

I genuinely believe you have the club at heart, thanks for some good memories and all the very best for your future.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Thanks Brian!

by Lower West » 27 May 2016 12:49

One of the old school. I'm sure that he'll find another job soon enough. Hopefully at a club with good values.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 May 2016 12:50

Big plus one.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 27 May 2016 12:50

Well said floyd. TYBM x

photographer

by photographer » 27 May 2016 12:51

Thanks for what? Playing crap football, getting us relegated and generally being a poor manager?

You only like him not because of his actual merits, but because he's 'such a nice guy'. :lol:

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 27 May 2016 12:52

genome Big plus one.

His goal difference was minus.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 May 2016 12:54

The Chief Scout that recruited our best ever team for less than £4m.

The reserve team manager that won the Premier League.

The first team manager that saved us from relegation, got us into the playoffs, and then won the Championship.

No matter how you slice it, the man's achievements at this club are remarkable and he deserves respect. I'd go as far to say that if you denigrate him, you are not a supporter of this club and do not deserve to bask in its success.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 May 2016 12:58

photographer Thanks for what?

Having to deal with supporters that think it's so easy to achieve success ( without ever having done so themselves).

photographer

by photographer » 27 May 2016 13:00

SCIAG The Chief Scout that recruited our best ever team for less than £4m.

The first team manager that saved us from relegation, got us into the playoffs, and then won the Championship.

No matter how you slice it, the man's achievements at this club are remarkable and he deserves respect. I'd go as far to say that if you denigrate him, you are not a supporter of this club and do not deserve to bask in its success.

Long and Doyle weren't the result of his scouting network. Neither was Gylfi or even the best players of this season. McDermott chooses to scout League 1 players who we jsut happen to play in the FA cup, like Nick Blackman and Hope Akpan.

ALF and Roberts won the Championship for us. McDermott never had any plan B or tactical nous to improve on their efforts and it was fully exploited by premier league teams.

photographer

by photographer » 27 May 2016 13:03

Lower West

Having to deal with supporters that think it's so easy to achieve success ( without ever having done so themselves).

I just don't like McDermott as a manager. I never had any confidence in him. That's all (personally I'm sure he's a lovely guy). Give Adkins back the job for all I care.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 May 2016 13:11

photographer

Long and Doyle weren't the result of his scouting network. Neither was Gylfi or even the best players of this season. McDermott chooses to scout League 1 players who we jsut happen to play in the FA cup, like Nick Blackman and Hope Akpan.

ALF and Roberts won the Championship for us. McDermott never had any plan B or tactical nous to improve on their efforts and it was fully exploited by premier league teams.

Long and Gylfi weren't part of our best ever team. In any case, I believe McDermott scouted them both, and gave Long digs when he came over. He also scouted Doyle. The Cork boys were recommended first by Pat Dolan, but we didn't sign them based solely on that recommendation.

Dave Kitson, Ibrahima Sonko, Glen Little, Leroy Lita, Brynjar Gunnarsson - all players identified by McDermott. Throw in Jimmy Kebe and Andre Bikey too.

As for Akpan, his form for McDermott was pretty good. Cast your mind back to 2013 and you'll find lots of people were calling for him to be at the heart of our midfield, ahead of Jem Karacan.

McDermott demonstrated considerable tactical nous in his time here. He was the one who got the best out of Le Fondre and Roberts. He built a team around Sigurdsson (something that never occurred to Brendan Rodgers), then built a new one around Kebe and Long, then improvised when Long left, and then built around Roberts. Just this season, he tried at least four different formations (4-4-2, diamond, 4-3-3, 4-4-1-1) and achieved a degree of success with two of them.

And seriously, where does "no plan B" come from? If anything, he didn't have a Plan A. A typical McDermott performance is 70 minutes of "give it to the best player", then bringing on ALF and HRK and going hell for leather and getting three points. He was all about the last 20 minutes.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 27 May 2016 13:16

floyd__streete Whatever the rights and wrongs of the decision today, a big thank you is due to Brian McDermott for the way in which he conducted himself during a difficult few months for the club and for himself. There are a number of moments from your first very successful spell which are up there in terms of my very favourite memories in the 30 years which have passed since my first Reading game. Not to mention of course the part you played in a very successful era before you became manager.

I genuinely believe you have the club at heart, thanks for some good memories and all the very best for your future.

PLUS ONE.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 27 May 2016 13:17

Well you've been treated rather shabbily by RFC over the years, Brian. Thanks and best of luck where next you land.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 27 May 2016 13:18

photographer
Lower West

I just don't like McDermott as a manager. I never had any confidence in him. That's all (personally I'm sure he's a lovely guy). Give Adkins back the job for all I care.

Exactly. You don't care!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 27 May 2016 13:19

Well said Floyd and Sciag.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 27 May 2016 13:25

SCIAG
photographer

Long and Gylfi weren't part of our best ever team. In any case, I believe McDermott scouted them both, and gave Long digs when he came over. He also scouted Doyle. The Cork boys were recommended first by Pat Dolan, but we didn't sign them based solely on that recommendation.

Dave Kitson, Ibrahima Sonko, Glen Little, Leroy Lita, Brynjar Gunnarsson - all players identified by McDermott. Throw in Jimmy Kebe and Andre Bikey too.

As for Akpan, his form for McDermott was pretty good. Cast your mind back to 2013 and you'll find lots of people were calling for him to be at the heart of our midfield, ahead of Jem Karacan.

McDermott demonstrated considerable tactical nous in his time here. He was the one who got the best out of Le Fondre and Roberts. He built a team around Sigurdsson (something that never occurred to Brendan Rodgers), then built a new one around Kebe and Long, then improvised when Long left, and then built around Roberts. Just this season, he tried at least four different formations (4-4-2, diamond, 4-3-3, 4-4-1-1) and achieved a degree of success with two of them.

And seriously, where does "no plan B" come from? If anything, he didn't have a Plan A. A typical McDermott performance is 70 minutes of "give it to the best player", then bringing on ALF and HRK and going hell for leather and getting three points. He was all about the last 20 minutes.

And that last 20 minutes, was also the George Graham philosophy at Arsenal when they would fight and stay in games and then often nick them 1-0. Graham won league titles, the Cup winners Cup in Europe, the FA CUP etc. I'm sure McDermott took inspiration from George Graham and Steve Coppell. You could see both styles and tactics in McDermott sides. McDermott WAS a very good tactician and an excellent judge of a player. He also had huge connection with RFC and loyalty. His and Hammonds loss is HUGE for Reading FC and certainly marks the end of the old Reading way. The club will certainly now depart from that old philosophy and will take a new direction. There is no going back anymore. The "Reading way and identity" has now died. I hope, what will replace it isn't as ugly as it looks.

photographer

by photographer » 27 May 2016 13:25

SCIAG

So the best players he's scouted are 1 season wonders, players who 'play-when-they-want', benchwarmers and Bikey. OK then

SCIAG As for Akpan, his form for McDermott was pretty good. Cast your mind back to 2013 and you'll find lots of people were calling for him to be at the heart of our midfield, ahead of Jem Karacan.

lol. whatever

SCIAG And seriously, where does "no plan B" come from? If anything, he didn't have a Plan A. A typical McDermott performance is 70 minutes of "give it to the best player", then bringing on ALF and HRK and going hell for leather and getting three points. He was all about the last 20 minutes.

Since when in this season has the 'typical' McDermott performance ever been implemented or succeeded? This season and during our relegation season, there was no backup plan. That's McDermott's style of play, totally predictable and easy to counter.

If it was Adkins who returned and managed the team like this, you'll be calling for his head. But because it's dear old Brian, there's double standards.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 27 May 2016 13:26

Did you actually read the opening post?

Personally, I would have liked to have seen Brian built a side and given time but I guess it wasn't to be. Hopefully he got a good pay off and he leaves with his integrity and reputation intact,

I guess we'll appoint Nigel Adkins next.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 May 2016 13:29

Calling the 05/06 team "one-season wonders" is a bit of a giveaway I'm afraid.

fwiw I like Adkins and would happily have him back (if not for the Thais).

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 27 May 2016 13:31

floyd__streete Whatever the rights and wrongs of the decision today, a big thank you is due to Brian McDermott for the way in which he conducted himself during a difficult few months for the club and for himself. There are a number of moments from your first very successful spell which are up there in terms of my very favourite memories in the 30 years which have passed since my first Reading game. Not to mention of course the part you played in a very successful era before you became manager.

Floyd we might have had a few spats over the years but I cannot disagree with a word of that. Well said.

I am thinking about going to watch non league football in future. I am just fed up with this circus and it is very hard to care about this club any more.