490 posts
TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Stamalamadingdong

by TBM » 07 Jun 2016 15:22

kwik-silva
TBM
wingnut Brian did have managerial experience.

Albeit at conference level (were Woking conference at the time? CBA to check) but point still stands.

Slough Town

In that case Stam has experience too, managing the Ajax B team

Does he actually manage or is he just a coach?

Assistant Manager - but as said, clutching at straws if you class McD managing Slough as experience

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jun 2016 15:24

One8Seven1*
LWJ It's the fcuking Daily Mail. They probably read about the odds dropping on Twitter and printed the story to try and be the first paper to 'have' it.

You seriously are deluded if you think they have an inside scoop and don't print unfounded bollocks for the sake of it.

For football they're one of the more reliable papers!

They were also the paper to break the news of the Zingarivich deal when it was still supposed to be under wraps so they presumably have some decent source around these parts.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Jun 2016 15:31

genome
Maneki Neko
wiggso It was reported (maybe falsely) that Stam was out due to not having any budget to spend. Him coming in might mean there is some money to spend...wishful thinking?
Hopefully some players that have caught Jaap's eye...

Hes been told he can keep all money from outgoing players for rebuilding

Sauce?

Same one that confirmed hes coming.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Jun 2016 15:33

If it is Stam, the more I think about it the more optimistic I am. Assistant coach at Ajax, 70 caps for Netherlands, and was also a scout for Man Yoo (in South America). Hoping his connections/network would lead to a player or three for us. Stam may or may not pan out here, but I'm ok with the thinking/strategy.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Jun 2016 15:49

Dick Habbin's hairdo So take your pick from this lot, then. http://www.flashscore.ae/team/jong-ajax/GncWwxTm/

Sam Hendriks and Ashraf Al Mahdioui, please, for starters.

Leroy Owusu, if only because I've convinced myself he doesn't really exist and has been created on the internet by some Ex Reading forward random name generator.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: McDermott out - Jaap Stam in....

by Sutekh » 07 Jun 2016 16:00

As long as he is willing to listen and learn from those around him and doesn't come in with a "billy big b****x knows best" attitude he could do reasonably well.

I think that the assistant manager appointment could well be the making or breaking of his time here. Any ideas on that front anyone?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Jun 2016 16:06

I'll take him and Lloyd Lita, Brynjar Kitson and Kevin Obinna Chukwunyelu.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 07 Jun 2016 16:15

TBM

Albeit at conference level (were Woking conference at the time? CBA to check) but point still stands.

Slough Town

And Woking - and just checked, they were in the conference at the time.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 07 Jun 2016 16:20

wingnut
TBM

Slough Town

I get what you're saying but being manager of a semi professional team 12 years prior to taking the Reading job doesn't mean he had experience....

When people (on here) say they want a manager with experience, they mean with experience in this division, similar or higher.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 07 Jun 2016 16:28

Fair enough. Although (IMO) being manager of a British semi-pro team is *slightly* different to being coach of a club's B team. In the latter case, there would be very little genuine man-management required; it would purely be picking a side for the next game. How relevant either would be to managing a side in the second tier is, as you say, moot.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Jun 2016 17:12

Ajax II play in the Dutch second division. They're very different to our U21s, they have a formally registered squad. It's not just picking the players who aren't in the first team this week.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 07 Jun 2016 17:35

If its to be Jaap Staam, then so be it and I wish him all the luck in the world, (like he would care) but I'm disturbed to think that in spite of all his pedigree in football our mysterious Thai owners concluded that he is the best choice for managing a chumpionship side and is it not ironic that he sort of comes from the 'never-never-lands' where fairy tales do come true for the little boys who never grow up and remain the lost boys forever? :shock:

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 07 Jun 2016 17:48

Speaking to Dutch website http://www.ajaxshowtime.com today, Tevreden said: "I know nothing.

"I do my job thoroughly and so take the time to appoint a new coach."

GetReading have picked the above article up and have headlined it as "Brian Tevreden denies Jaap Stam appointment". He's apparently 'quashed the speculation' :lol:

I imagine the club and Stam are negotiating and Brian T isn't allowed to say too much yet, I guess we just need to be patient on this. It does piss me off how many fans trusts the views GetReading spray out as if they are clubs. Twitter meltdown to ensue following headlines like that lol.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jun 2016 18:02

The Avram Grant connection must have legs.
Grant as Dof F and Dutch Brian as assistant perhaps ?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jun 2016 18:20

Pros
We've got a manager
He has experience playing at the highest level
He has experience playing in England
He comes from a good coaching environment
He's a name
He has plenty of time to prepare for the season

Cons
He's got no management experience
He's got no coaching experience in England
He's got no experience of the Championship
The search for a replacement obviously wasn't too exhaustive seeing as he was appointed inside 7 working days of the vacancy appearing and was rumoured to have had the job for almost a week before that
He's had no time to see the players in an actual match environment
We're still light on coaching and behind the scenes staff

I wish him all the best and hope he does well. He just has to be given a chance and time almost no matter how badly he does given how much upheaval we've had in the last four years. Short of being in the relegation zone all season he pretty much has to still be here in October 2017.

I don't think this in any way lessons the poor nature of the decision to get rid of McDermott and I see very little on paper to suggest Stam is in any way better. That doesn't mean he won't do well. But he's here. It's still the owners I'm pissed off at, not him. He now gets rated on how he does.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jun 2016 18:22

LWJ It's the fcuking Daily Mail. They probably read about the odds dropping on Twitter and printed the story to try and be the first paper to 'have' it.

You seriously are deluded if you think they have an inside scoop and don't print unfounded bollocks for the sake of it.

I think the Daily Malice have slightly different (higher) standards when it comes to reporting on sport.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jun 2016 18:32

TBM
wingnut
TBM
Slough Town

I get what you're saying but being manager of a semi professional team 12 years prior to taking the Reading job doesn't mean he had experience....

When people (on here) say they want a manager with experience, they mean with experience in this division, similar or higher.

Name an inexperienced manager to do well here, who hadn't been coaching / playing here for at least the preceding year first.

Experience is no guarantee of success, but it does provide a pretty good indication of ability if there's a a couple of years and/or clubs for it.

I have no problem with Stam being appointed. Good luck to him. I just don't see why on earth anyone with a brain would want him over the previous incumbent - McDermott.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jun 2016 18:37

paultheroyal
72 bus Terrific, never played in the Chump, no idea about the players or teams in this league, absolutely no experience of managing a football club at any level, but the owners have heard of him because he played for Man U who sell a lot of shirts in Thailand so he must be good.

Skybet have us 7/1 for promotion, they really need to go and have a lie down.

Terrific - absolutely - great news.

Adkins, Clarke - they knew the league - done them the world of good at Reading.

Someone has got to start somewhere - thought that was the Reading way you lot wanted!!

There are some negatives - there are a whole load of positives too and I for one am delighted with this news...

How did Clarke know the Championship exactly? Other than having heard of it.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Jun 2016 18:58

paultheroyal
72 bus Terrific, never played in the Chump, no idea about the players or teams in this league, absolutely no experience of managing a football club at any level, but the owners have heard of him because he played for Man U who sell a lot of shirts in Thailand so he must be good.

Skybet have us 7/1 for promotion, they really need to go and have a lie down.

Terrific - absolutely - great news.

Adkins, Clarke - they knew the league - done them the world of good at Reading.

Think u may be oversimplifying the factors involved in success/failure here.

Agreed though, welcome to jaap. Hope he gets some backing and does well

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 07 Jun 2016 19:07

Nameless The Avram Grant connection must have legs.
Grant as Dof F and Dutch Brian as assistant perhaps ?

Why must it? Maybe he is happy coaching Ghana? I imagine there's a nicer work/life balance being an international manager anyway :D

Although, tis an appointment i'd welcome.

490 posts