Wolves Away (Predictions)

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

Re: Wolves Away (Predictions)

by John Madejski's Wallet » 13 Aug 2016 16:58

You need to actually attack for a striker to score

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Aug 2016 16:59

No need to panic, sometimes these kind of games teach valuable lessons to a new squad.

When you look at the start Newcastle have had, there's especially no need to freak out, but I won't be surprised if the doommongers will be on here in force.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Aug 2016 17:00

No match thread for this shambles of a game? Well that's what happens when you don't have a proper sponsored match thread.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 13 Aug 2016 17:01

If we're losing to that pile of inbred w*nkers we've a lot of work to do

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 13 Aug 2016 17:05

So on to pointless Newcastle next. the first relegation scrap of the year.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Aug 2016 17:07

Nuremberg Royal Let's just take a breath. Most on here said they would be happy to finish one place above the relegation zone. ....and we are achieving that so far 8)

Top Flight is not most people.

Just as beating Preston wasn't a sign we're brilliant, losing to Wolves isn't a sign we're terrible. We need to wait until we've had a decent run of games to see how we'll do. The defence, if anything is arguably weaker than last year with a midfielder playing there and we may still be lacking the killer instinct to score enough and finish games off. It's early days and Stam has to be given the time (and I don't mean 23 games) to build something.

That means the fans need to show patience, accept some knock backs and not demand we change our approach every time we have a few poor results. We are not a promotion hopeful this season and we should act accordingly.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Aug 2016 17:09

Stam out

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 13 Aug 2016 17:26

leon Stam out

Lol

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 13 Aug 2016 17:27

windermere_royal So on to pointless Newcastle next. the first relegation scrap of the year.

We're flying mid table ;p, they're rooted to the bottom so not strictly true ..

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 13 Aug 2016 17:37

Ian Royal
Nuremberg Royal Let's just take a breath. Most on here said they would be happy to finish one place above the relegation zone. ....and we are achieving that so far 8)

Just as beating Preston wasn't a sign we're brilliant, losing to Wolves isn't a sign we're terrible. We need to wait until we've had a decent run of games to see how we'll do. The defence, if anything is arguably weaker than last year with a midfielder playing there and we may still be lacking the killer instinct to score enough and finish games off. It's early days and Stam has to be given the time (and I don't mean 23 games) to build something.

That means the fans need to show patience, accept some knock backs and not demand we change our approach every time we have a few poor results. We are not a promotion hopeful this season and we should act accordingly.

I agree.

Stam and co will learn from this. It will be a few games until a pattern emerges and I think we'll be OK.

Look at Derby and Newcastle so far. I often look back to the first few games at the end of the season and they are usually irrelevant as to where teams will end up.

Yes you can read things into how you start but no more.

Stam will need to learn fast but I think we'll be OK.

Nuremberg Royal

by Nuremberg Royal » 13 Aug 2016 17:46

Lacoste
Ian Royal

I agree.

Stam and co will learn from this. It will be a few games until a pattern emerges and I think we'll be OK.

Look at Derby and Newcastle so far. I often look back to the first few games at the end of the season and they are usually irrelevant as to where teams will end up.

Yes you can read things into how you start but no more.

Stam will need to learn fast but I think we'll be OK.

Agree 100%

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Aug 2016 17:51

leon Stam out

+1

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 13 Aug 2016 17:57

sandman
leon Stam out

+1

Didn`t take you long Mr Happy.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 13 Aug 2016 18:20

sandman
leon Stam out

+1

I understand people being dubious and personally I would have preferred an English manager with a track record but we have what we have.

I have seen many positives as well as some negatives and like I say earlier, if Stam thinks we can pass the ball around out 18 yard box and not be punished then he has another thing coming. Teams will press us and force mistakes in this league.

I just think they'll learn and there have been enough positives so far for me tho think we'll be OK this yearly and for the people who say 4th bottom is a good season. No it isn't. Not for a club like us with the players we have.

Anyway. Beer time.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Aug 2016 18:24

windermere_royal
sandman
leon Stam out

+1

Didn`t take you long Mr Happy.

Longer than it took you to bite :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Aug 2016 18:26

The important thing for me is that if we concede a few sloppy goals by passing it around at the back too riskily we dont throw the baby out with the bath water. We must persist with the good passing and moving, just take a few less risks at the back. I'm fine conceding a few silly goals and even losing games as a result... I think the benefits will out weigh any lost points this season, now and next season when we can hopefully reap a reward fully.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Aug 2016 18:42

All Stam needs to do is learn that in the Championship you can't mess around with the ball in your own half. That doesn't mean playing long ball, we've never played that way despite what many would have you believe about previous managers. If Stam learns that quickly he will do well for us, if he doesn't then he is going to go the same way as Adkins and the like.

Crux

by Crux » 13 Aug 2016 19:02

Sutekh No match thread for this shambles of a game? Well that's what happens when you don't have a proper sponsored match thread.

Yes yes we know you start the match threads. We know you just want to be accepted in life and belong to something and you didn't do it today hoping someone would notice.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 13 Aug 2016 19:43

Lacoste
sandman
leon Stam out

+1

I understand people being dubious and personally I would have preferred an English manager with a track record but we have what we have.

I have seen many positives as well as some negatives and like I say earlier, if Stam thinks we can pass the ball around out 18 yard box and not be punished then he has another thing coming. Teams will press us and force mistakes in this league.

Both goals today were from corners, so passing the ball around hasn't yet been a problem.

The problem, including both the games we won, is more up front. Not enough of the balls into the box (and we have put a fair few in) result in anything remotely like a shot at goal. We're not going to fix that by playing longer passes. It's not as if we can hit a ball over the top for Kermogant to run onto.

It's just something that will need to be worked on, and the players given time to gain an understanding of each other's play so that they can anticipate what they do. At the moment it doesn't look like they have a clue what runs a player will make, or when they make them. The result is forward passes frequently being made to spaces that players haven't run into, or players making moves and not receiving the ball - or it being passed to where they'be just run from.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Aug 2016 23:09

If this is the reaction 2 league games into the season. It's going to be an attritional for the next 44. Let's see what the final squad is at the end of month. Still possibly exits and new faces. Before writing it off already.