BFTG - Ipswich home

126 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Ipswich home

by Royal Rother » 10 Sep 2016 16:14

West Stand Man The second penalty was a clear push by Blackett to prevent the Ipswich player getting his head to a cross ( leaving him a simple tap in header at the far post).

A clear push...? Dear oh dear.

If it was my habit to block people who talk complete bollocks you would now be on my list.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 10 Sep 2016 17:11

Great result , we have to be patient , not sure if we're good enough to play that type of possession football with those players poor Hasibi is a car crash waiting to happen.

Really enjoying Stam's pragmatism and realistic outlook for the season

Foundation starting to build but still lacking up front

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Sep 2016 17:14

Gunny Fishcake Great result , we have to be patient , not sure if we're good enough to play that type of possession football with those players poor Hasibi is a car crash waiting to happen.

Really enjoying Stam's pragmatism and realistic outlook for the season

Foundation starting to build but still lacking up front

The promising thing for me is we look good when it works and that's still only 8 games (6 league 2 cup) in a much changed side. Given time to gel, despite a lack of fire-power up top, I believe we'll start to look really good. Hence why we throw out the transitional season suggestion, if it all works and Stam is here come next summer, we don't have an entirely new team to buy and can focus our efforts on the striking department.

Fezza

by Fezza » 10 Sep 2016 17:25

The good news is that every team we've played this season*, regardless of the result, is below us in the table!

If we keep this up the Premiership beckons...

* Newcastle have played one game less

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Sep 2016 17:37

Royal Rother
West Stand Man The second penalty was a clear push by Blackett to prevent the Ipswich player getting his head to a cross ( leaving him a simple tap in header at the far post).

If it was my habit to block people who talk complete bollocks you would now be on my list.

There was definitely a push. Just a nudge to help him go under the ball, which may have been too high for him anyway.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 10 Sep 2016 18:08

Ian Royal
Royal Rother

There was definitely a push. Just a nudge to help him go under the ball, which may have been too high for him anyway.

The biggest concern would be the same old defensive issue. One full back fails to stop the cross, the other full back fails to defend his back post. The damage was done when Blackett allowed Pitman to get on the wrong side of him as a result of just switching off and ball watching. What followed was a consequence of the initial error.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Sep 2016 18:32

royalp-we
Went batshit crazy when Williams put away the pen at the end. It was a clear penalty going by the new rules.

Not really 'new rules', perhaps more correctly referees finally enforcing the rules that have been in place for donkey's years! Why are players and managers bleating when players are penalised for grabbing hold of shirts, arms and other parts of the body to try to keep an opponent from playing the ball?!

As McCarthy said (and whilst he did say JVDB played for the penalty, he was equally critical of his player) 'What happened to the days when you just stood there and headed the ball?'

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Sep 2016 18:33

OLLIE KEARNS
Ian Royal
Royal Rother

The biggest concern would be the same old defensive issue. One full back fails to stop the cross, the other full back fails to defend his back post. The damage was done when Blackett allowed Pitman to get on the wrong side of him as a result of just switching off and ball watching. What followed was a consequence of the initial error.

Agreed. And not long after he made exactly the same mistake - ending up on the wrong side of the player he was meant to be marking and nearly conceded another penalty!

sandman Reading need to watch the goal Man City have just scored. They had to go long so they did, Stam would have told them to go back to the keeper.

If you reckon that is really the case then you clearly didn't bother to listen to the extensive and excellent interview Stam did with Sky after the game.

I guess you were one of those urging our players to go long and give the ball straight back to the opposition, so that we could have some more practice at defending.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 10 Sep 2016 20:11

sandman
Nameless
sandman
Stam doesn't rate Samuel or most of our young players for that matter. That's why a lot of them want out.

Although that is not what Stam himself says....

Really? Because I sat in a room with Stam not too long ago where he criticised Samuel's performance against Bristol Rovers and his performances before he got injured pre-season.

Even the ones he has given a chance to, like Watson and Kelly, he's kept at arms length.

No Academy Graduates starting in the last two games.

Not sure about what u are saying about Samuel, didn't Stam say Samuel isn't going out on loan. That means they were clubs coming in for him. 2 championship clubs apparently inquired about him and Reading turned them down. Maybe they are looking to sell in Jan at inflated price.

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 10 Sep 2016 22:54

Stam did give a funny answer in the press conference ahead of the game couple days ago, was asked about Gyan but said we'd work with the '2 good strikers we've got' in Yann and Joseph.

Not sure what that means for Dom, I can't help feel there's something up with him that we all don't know about. When NA was throwing in teenagers left, right and centre he didn't go near Samuel and instead criticised his attitude, which wasn't a very Adkins thing to do

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Sep 2016 23:29

Saaaaaaaammmmmm Stam did give a funny answer in the press conference ahead of the game couple days ago, was asked about Gyan but said we'd work with the '2 good strikers we've got' in Yann and Joseph.

Not sure what that means for Dom, I can't help feel there's something up with him that we all don't know about. When NA was throwing in teenagers left, right and centre he didn't go near Samuel and instead criticised his attitude, which wasn't a very Adkins thing to do

Speaking with absolutely no knowledge on the subject he was bigged up a lot when he was younger (especially after that youth goal against Newcastle iirc) and whenever I have seen him he's quite frankly not been that special. Maybe he thinks he's better than he is?

CW was raving about him in the Netherlands during pre season though. I want to see him get his chance I really do, same with Fosu though tbf.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Sep 2016 08:41

Surely it's just that Samuel has been out through injury. So currently he's not available, and we go with the two strikers we have. For the same reasons he didn't mention Rakells.....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Sep 2016 10:51

Yeah, you can't read anything in to it, he described Mendes as good ffs.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Sep 2016 10:58

Ian Royal Yeah, you can't read anything in to it, he described Mendes as good ffs.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 11 Sep 2016 11:41

Royal Rother

Feel free.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 11 Sep 2016 13:26

Saaaaaaaammmmmm Stam did give a funny answer in the press conference ahead of the game couple days ago, was asked about Gyan but said we'd work with the '2 good strikers we've got' in Yann and Joseph.

Pre match Stam did give an update when asked about strikers; and he did mention both Rakels and Meite. No mention of Dom though. I just get the feeling Stam sees Meite ahead of Dom in the pecking order, even though he is a winger turned striker.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 Sep 2016 13:45

Seeing as two people have already spoken about Stam's comments on Samuel at the Fans' Forum, I will as well.

Stam's main concern about Samuel seems to be consistency. Apparently he was poor in pre-season and against Bristol Rovers (again, Stam's judgement). I thought he played well against Man City but Stam can put that in the wider context. And to be honest he's not impressed me the other times I've seen him play, even in the match against Villa where he scored a hat-trick!

I think Samuel's a bit selfish and over-confident, but then so are all our young forwards except maybe Stacey, it goes with the position.

He also seems to play much better when on loan, so part of me thinks that he might "step up" well if we stuck him in.

But he's the same age Jake Taylor was when he finally got in the first team. He's the same age as Obita but without three years in the Championship. I think there comes a point where if he doesn't look like playing for us soon, we have to let him rebuild his career elsewhere. Players develop at different rates etc. but we can't cling onto players who scored 20 goals for the U18s forever.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Sep 2016 14:15

JimmytheJim Kermogant is class. I don't get all the negativity. He won every single header and led the line superbly. He just needs for the wingers to get more involved in and around the box to help him imo.

I didn't think so when I was at the game, but watching again on TV
I agree. He was pretty much MoM. He won just about every header, every flick
and did a lot of excellent link work. But I think we have to pair him with Swift
or maybe McLeary, not necessarily 442 but a midfielder "living off his flicks"

Thought he was excellent, as was VDB

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Sep 2016 14:32

It's another win (just about deserved). I don't think I've seen a three scored penalty game before.

Was very impressed with Kermie and van de Berg. Still think Williams shouldn't start. IMO he wastes possession so often. Well-taken pen, though. I'd pick Quinn over him every time. I rate Evans but he was anonymous in this one and very lucky not to get a red.

Moore has a lot of promise and will develop nicely for us. Not sure how the ref missed Moore's arm across the face (stone-wall penalty for Ipswich) late on in the game.

I think Kermie is now finding his feet as a number 9 (He played 10 for Bournemouth) but our midfielders and wingers don't seem tuned in to his knock downs. A plate like Alfie would have a field day living off Kermie's flicks and knock-downs.

Surprised to see criticism of Blackett. Seems solid enough to me and he needs a run of games. Good to see him and Obita will need to slug it out for the LB spot.

We still lack that spark (which Swift can bring). If Swift is out, why not play McLeary as a No 10 and play Harriot wide. Mac played a bit in that role for Forest and scored four in one game. We need some speed and trickery off Kermogant

mambo3

by mambo3 » 11 Sep 2016 17:16

SCIAG Seeing as two people have already spoken about Stam's comments on Samuel at the Fans' Forum, I will as well.

Stam's main concern about Samuel seems to be consistency. Apparently he was poor in pre-season and against Bristol Rovers (again, Stam's judgement). I thought he played well against Man City but Stam can put that in the wider context. And to be honest he's not impressed me the other times I've seen him play, even in the match against Villa where he scored a hat-trick!

I think Samuel's a bit selfish and over-confident, but then so are all our young forwards except maybe Stacey, it goes with the position.

He also seems to play much better when on loan, so part of me thinks that he might "step up" well if we stuck him in.

But he's the same age Jake Taylor was when he finally got in the first team. He's the same age as Obita but without three years in the Championship. I think there comes a point where if he doesn't look like playing for us soon, we have to let him rebuild his career elsewhere. Players develop at different rates etc. but we can't cling onto players who scored 20 goals for the U18s forever.

Agree with nearly everything you say. But as we are always reminded there is a difference between competitive football and U21 football and he has proven himself at league 1 level and only when he has played a handful of games for the 1st Team can he be judged.
Any young footballer who is not selfish or overconfident in this game will not survive the pressure of being a footballer as everyone has an opinion. He must be doing something right as he is the only one of two young players likely to get any game time this season. With all the negative luggage about him, I don't understand why they are keeping him.

126 posts