BFTG Villa

ladida_gunner_graham

Re: BFTG Villa

by ladida_gunner_graham » 20 Oct 2016 19:07

Pandoras Box
biff
ladida_gunner_graham Far from the case. To be fair, it's never likely to be even, but gut feel can be very misleading. Follow this link and click on the Heat Map. For those who can't be arsed to look, for a home team looking to win, it's heavily skewed in our own half, with huge hotspots at right back, left back and goalkeeper. Evans had the most touches, mostly in our half. Al Habsi had more touches than Beerens, Williams and Kermorgant.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1085004/Live/England-Championship-2016-2017-Reading-Aston-Villa

Very telling, a great resource. Shows how unthreatening and insipid we currently are.

Don't get it. If you uncheck Gunter there's still a large red at RB. If you recheck Gunter and uncheck Moore, the red goes completely - so what happened to Gunters heat map?

When you uncheck Gunter, the heat map in the right back area is mostly for Moore. Look at Gunter and Moore individually and it should be quite obvious why it looks as it does.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 20 Oct 2016 19:38

More like Gunter was up in the final third waiting for a pass so he could get it back to Al Habsi. :wink:

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 20 Oct 2016 20:11

Pandoras Box More like Gunter was up in the final third waiting for a pass so he could get it back to Al Habsi. :wink:

Maybe they actually had him mixed up with somebody else. Most tackles out of both teams - Blackett and Gunter joint top. :o :o

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Oct 2016 09:31

ladida_gunner_graham
Maneki Neko
ladida_gunner_graham The problem so far is that we don't play from the back we play at the back.

:|
pretty much spread between the thirds on Tuesday. imo

Far from the case. To be fair, it's never likely to be even, but gut feel can be very misleading. Follow this link and click on the Heat Map. For those who can't be arsed to look, for a home team looking to win, it's heavily skewed in our own half, with huge hotspots at right back, left back and goalkeeper. Evans had the most touches, mostly in our half. Al Habsi had more touches than Beerens, Williams and Kermorgant.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1085004/Live/England-Championship-2016-2017-Reading-Aston-Villa

You first of all need to think that those stats are credible.
Whoever compiles them must spend a fortune to have multiple people trained and recording every moment of every game.

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 21 Oct 2016 10:25

Nameless
ladida_gunner_graham
Maneki Neko

Far from the case. To be fair, it's never likely to be even, but gut feel can be very misleading. Follow this link and click on the Heat Map. For those who can't be arsed to look, for a home team looking to win, it's heavily skewed in our own half, with huge hotspots at right back, left back and goalkeeper. Evans had the most touches, mostly in our half. Al Habsi had more touches than Beerens, Williams and Kermorgant.

Whoever compiles them must spend a fortune to have multiple people trained and recording every moment of every game.

Not sure if you're f*****g with me, but I'll take the bait. Highly detailed football match stats are rather widely available - there are many sites that publish various cuts of the data, such as Stats Zone, soccerstats.com, Squawka.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Oct 2016 11:11

ladida_gunner_graham
Nameless
ladida_gunner_graham Far from the case. To be fair, it's never likely to be even, but gut feel can be very misleading. Follow this link and click on the Heat Map. For those who can't be arsed to look, for a home team looking to win, it's heavily skewed in our own half, with huge hotspots at right back, left back and goalkeeper. Evans had the most touches, mostly in our half. Al Habsi had more touches than Beerens, Williams and Kermorgant.

Not sure if you're f*****g with me, but I'll take the bait. Highly detailed football match stats are rather widely available - there are many sites that publish various cuts of the data, such as Stats Zone, soccerstats.com, Squawka.

Why should there be 'bait'. Polling stats were widely available for the last election but they were crap.
Just because many sites publish data does not make it accurate.
For instance the site seemed to rate Blackett as our best defender and their keeper as man of the match. How ? Neither seem obvious conclusions.
How do they gather their data ? I thought Prozone was used when we were in the Prem but I didn't think that sort of depth was still available.
It seems reasonable to want to understand this 'data' rather than assuming just because technology and jargon are used it is more trustworthy than what we can see ourselves.

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 21 Oct 2016 11:21

Nameless
ladida_gunner_graham
Maneki Neko

Not sure if this will deserve a whooosh but you do know they have the GPS tracker between the shoulder blades so every bit of data is accurate and not made up by people watching them and recording where they are.

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 21 Oct 2016 11:38

Nameless
ladida_gunner_graham
Nameless

Why should there be 'bait'. Polling stats were widely available for the last election but they were crap.
Just because many sites publish data does not make it accurate.
For instance the site seemed to rate Blackett as our best defender and their keeper as man of the match. How ? Neither seem obvious conclusions.
How do they gather their data ? I thought Prozone was used when we were in the Prem but I didn't think that sort of depth was still available.
It seems reasonable to want to understand this 'data' rather than assuming just because technology and jargon are used it is more trustworthy than what we can see ourselves.

whoscored.com get their Championship data from Opta. For individual player ratings then clearly things like being caught out of position, work off the ball, players hiding (yes Danny Willliams, I'm looking at you), etc. are not easily captured, so player ratings have to be taken with that caveat. But where the ball is played from and to, and by whom, is more precise and I don't think that data is really up for too much debate. Comparing it to polling data is not helpful, that's either projections from before the vote or relying on people telling the truth to exit polls after the event. Different thing entirely.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Oct 2016 12:59

Throw Whoscored's player ratings in the bin but the statistics are reliable.

I'll also defend polling data. It needs to be treated properly, but if you're using a suitable model that accounts for house effects, historical trends, uncertainty, and voter distribution then you should be able to predict election results fairly easily. I think Ashcroft is the only one who attempts to do things at a constituency level though, and that makes General Election polling very difficult. 2015 was also a very weird election because it came after the first coalition government since WWII, so there weren't as many data to draw on when modelling.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Oct 2016 13:24

I didn't know the players wear GPS trackers, that was kind of the point of asking the question.
Does the ball have a tracker built into it as well ? If not I'm still not sure how a lot of the stats work !
It's no doubt a generational thing, as someone who has never played FIFA etc I find the whole 'statistical analysis' thing leaves me cold. Clearly for managers it has a use but personally I prefer my football to work at a gut level rather than an intellectual one. Not suggesting any other approach is wrong of course.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 21 Oct 2016 13:54

ladida_gunner_graham
Maneki Neko
ladida_gunner_graham The problem so far is that we don't play from the back we play at the back.

never said it was even

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 25 Oct 2016 21:31

Maneki Neko
ladida_gunner_graham
Maneki Neko

never said it was even

What does this mean then?
"pretty much spread between the thirds on Tuesday. imo"