January Transfer Window

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

January Transfer Window

by John Smith » 26 Jan 2017 10:08

So the transfer window slams shut on 31 January at 11pm and so far we have brought in Tiago Ilori and if we are to believe the rumours Adham El Idrissi is also pretty much a done deal.

This morning we sit 4th in the table, well in contention for a playoff place. To me this begs the question that we need one or two more bodies to get us over the line. I know Jan is notorious for being an inflated market and our loan deals in the past two seasons have been nothing short of woeful, but I'm reminded of the 2011/12 title win when we brought in the likes of Roberts, Connolly, Afobe and Mullins came in to give us cover.

Although we won on Tuesday night we played without a recognised striker and our left back had a mare.
Should we be being more active to bolster the squad? What are the key areas we are missing? Thoughts?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: January Transfer Window

by maffff » 26 Jan 2017 10:46

John Smith So the transfer window slams shut on 31 January at 11pm and so far we have brought in Tiago Ilori and if we are to believe the rumours Adham El Idrissi is also pretty much a done deal.

This morning we sit 4th in the table, well in contention for a playoff place. To me this begs the question that we need one or two more bodies to get us over the line. I know Jan is notorious for being an inflated market and our loan deals in the past two seasons have been nothing short of woeful, but I'm reminded of the 2011/12 title win when we brought in the likes of Roberts, Connolly, Afobe and Mullins came in to give us cover.

Although we won on Tuesday night we played without a recognised striker and our left back had a mare.
Should we be being more active to bolster the squad? What are the key areas we are missing? Thoughts?

I'd take Connolly, Mullins and Afobe on loan. Roberts, Cywka and Sheppard on perm deals.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2017 11:10

Unless we can ship out a few (i.e. Mendes, maybe Rakels short term), I don't see a lot of space in the squad. All cup games out of the way now

In an ideal world, a top class affordable striker would come available for us, but I suspect we'll make do with the personnel that have got us up to 4th

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 26 Jan 2017 11:13

What's happened to Samuel?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jan 2017 11:50

Stam wants another couple of players. We all know a striker is one of those and there have been rumours aplenty about another midfielder coming in.

Stam has his targets and that list is with Brian who is talking to the owners to see what can be done. No doubt those targets have been contacted and negotiations are in progress with various clubs and agents to see if any deals can be struck.

Right now Stam is like us and has no idea whether anything will be completed before the deadline or not.

More often than not a couple of players will move elsewhere and suddenly a whole host of opportunities present themselves rather quickly. At the end if the day I would suggest that actually getting Ilori into the club will prove to be the key signing despite the lack of strikers.

And Idrissi is intended as an Academy player rather than for the first team squad.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Jan 2017 12:32

No Fixed Abode What's happened to Samuel?

Nothing.
Why do you ask ?

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 26 Jan 2017 13:02

It would be strange if we do not get another striker in. This was supposed to be the priority & we had transfer funds as we spent £2-£3m on Ilori. hmmm :roll:

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 26 Jan 2017 13:03

Surely we would be capable of bringing in a half decent forward on loan from the Prem?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Jan 2017 13:15

I'd rather go as is than gamble on a loanee who won't be here next season, especially given our recent loanee history. Same on an overinflated perm deal that may not be an exact fit.

And striker is the only area we need. Rakels could be like a new signing, Meite continues to impress and Samuel will likely perform better in the new shape with a partner. Plus McCleary is doing fine up top.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 26 Jan 2017 13:19

Nameless

Nothing.
Why do you ask ?

I thought he was a striker. Doesn't seem to be playing much does he?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 26 Jan 2017 13:20

John Smith So the transfer window slams shut on 31 January at 11pm and so far we have brought in Tiago Ilori and if we are to believe the rumours Adham El Idrissi is also pretty much a done deal.

Nah, I think we're good. The current lot got us this far and I'd rather they didn't spend all of that 10 mil loan in case they have to give it back if it all goes sour.

Perhaps a loan winger if Harriott is going to be out for the longer term.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 26 Jan 2017 14:25

What about lumping £3m on getting Ross McCormack in till the end of the season?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Jan 2017 14:26

John Smith What about lumping £3m on getting Ross McCormack in till the end of the season?

Ross "I can't be arsed to train" McCormack? No ta.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 26 Jan 2017 14:34

Ian Royal
John Smith What about lumping £3m on getting Ross McCormack in till the end of the season?

Ross "I can't be arsed to train" McCormack? No ta.

1 in 3 for the last seven seasons at Championship level. Slipped into bad habits at a club rotten with indiscipline until Bruce showed up. 3 weeks on an intense cardio-heavy regime and Stam would soon have him playing.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 26 Jan 2017 15:49

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38761021

Carlton Cole anyone? Nip in before County sign him.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jan 2017 16:11

Apparently a good chance he'll be off to Southend to form a deadly partnership with Simon Cox

mambo3

by mambo3 » 26 Jan 2017 17:02

Sutekh

Apparently a good chance he'll be off to Southend to form a deadly partnership with Simon Cox

From what I read it was a number of championship clubs and quite a few league 1 clubs. Southend mentioned this. Bit of a spin on what your saying

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 26 Jan 2017 19:03

No Fixed Abode
Nameless

Nothing.
Why do you ask ?

Funny, I thought Bamford was a striker. Didn't play too much at Chelsea did he?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 27 Jan 2017 10:02

ayjaydee
No Fixed Abode
Nameless
Nothing.
Why do you ask ?

Funny, I thought Bamford was a striker. Didn't play too much at Chelsea did he?

Different scenario really. More competition up front at Chelsea. Reading are a little light up top in terms of striking options and I gather Samuel is decent enough but hasn't been given much opportunity.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Jan 2017 10:05

You gather incorrectly. He's had game time in the first team and youth sides this season and done nothing to suggest he's as good as Kermorgant or Meite. And I'd possibly include a fit Rakels.