Rival Watch

17260 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: Rival Watch

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Mar 2020 09:47

John Smith
Hound Yes, wasn’t unhappy to see Grabban score there

Nice goal as well

Very good goal. Was very happy it stood as well as it would have been so easy to give a cheap foul just for there being pressure on the goalkeeper. Charlton v Boro on Saturday is now box office stuff.

If Boro lose does Woodgate go?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 Mar 2020 09:53

Old Man Andrews If Boro lose does Woodgate go?

I don't think it's quite that stage yet, but that being said, that squad should be nowhere near where they are and with 10 games to go I'm sure someone else could save them. I think he probably should have gone a while back but they may as well stick with him now as they didn't look terrible last night.

I would love it, love it if Boro and Stoke did go though.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Mar 2020 10:54

John Smith
Old Man Andrews If Boro lose does Woodgate go?

I don't think it's quite that stage yet, but that being said, that squad should be nowhere near where they are and with 10 games to go I'm sure someone else could save them. I think he probably should have gone a while back but they may as well stick with him now as they didn't look terrible last night.

I would love it, love it if Boro and Stoke did go though.

Gibson is known as a patient owner and has publicly said this season is not Woodgate's fault. Like us and Stoke, there have been issues that go way beyond the manager to the extent that simply changing manager again and again is not a sustainable solution. I expect Woodgate to stay.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Mar 2020 13:27

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal In relegation zone with 38 points from 36....thank God there have been so many poor teams in the last 2 seasons. It was 16/17 that Blackburn went down with 52 points. Wouldn't be surprised if it's around that mark this season.

You may be right - there are currently still 20 games to be played against each other for the sides placed 16th and below. So there will be lots of sides taking points of each other.

Wigan feature in 7 of those games, so on there current form you can see them pushing up to mid-table comfort.

Stoke's next 5 games see them play no-one higher in the league that us - whilst their final 5 feature 4 sides going for either automatic promotion or the play-offs - so if they don't pick up 9 or 10 points in that run, they may well be in trouble.

Boro's run-in looks very mid-table but they really need to find a win from somewhere to arrest their slide - lose at Charlton this weekend and I think that may be them gone as confidence will be shot.

I think the loser of Boro Charlton will go, so a draw is most likely inevitable

From what I saw yesterday, Boro looked quite good though and better than their position suggests. I think it helped having Gestede up there though who I always thought was a half decent striker deserving of more game time

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Mar 2020 13:34

URZZZZ
Stranded
WestYorksRoyal In relegation zone with 38 points from 36....thank God there have been so many poor teams in the last 2 seasons. It was 16/17 that Blackburn went down with 52 points. Wouldn't be surprised if it's around that mark this season.

You may be right - there are currently still 20 games to be played against each other for the sides placed 16th and below. So there will be lots of sides taking points of each other.

Wigan feature in 7 of those games, so on there current form you can see them pushing up to mid-table comfort.

Stoke's next 5 games see them play no-one higher in the league that us - whilst their final 5 feature 4 sides going for either automatic promotion or the play-offs - so if they don't pick up 9 or 10 points in that run, they may well be in trouble.

Boro's run-in looks very mid-table but they really need to find a win from somewhere to arrest their slide - lose at Charlton this weekend and I think that may be them gone as confidence will be shot.

From what I saw yesterday, Boro looked quite good though and better than their position suggests. I think it helped having Gestede up there though who I always thought was a half decent striker deserving of more game time

Depends whether Boro can stop the rot. had they won yesterday I'd be pretty sure they'd stay up - however conceding a goal like that and failing to win again will be very painful for them.

Also depends largely on whether Barnsley's poor effort against us was the norm or a blip on an otherwise good run. Its very interesting this year - there are no downright poor teams imo like there has been recently (ie Ipswich, Bolton, Burton and even us for a couple of years), they are all relatively capable

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Mar 2020 13:38

Hound
URZZZZ
Stranded

Depends whether Boro can stop the rot. had they won yesterday I'd be pretty sure they'd stay up - however conceding a goal like that and failing to win again will be very painful for them.

Also depends largely on whether Barnsley's poor effort against us was the norm or a blip on an otherwise good run. Its very interesting this year - there are no downright poor teams imo like there has been recently (ie Ipswich, Bolton, Burton and even us for a couple of years), they are all relatively capable

Agreed. Luton look useful at home and then there’s certain clubs fearing point deductions which, if there are any, will presumably be revealed by the end of this month

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 03 Mar 2020 13:43

Is Robbie Keane the assistant manager/coach at Boro? Thought I saw him on the bench last night

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Mar 2020 13:44

Brum Royal Is Robbie Keane the assistant manager/coach at Boro? Thought I saw him on the bench last night

Yep he's one of the assistants I believe.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Mar 2020 14:09

Sutekh
Hound
URZZZZ

Agreed. Luton look useful at home and then there’s certain clubs fearing point deductions which, if there are any, will presumably be revealed by the end of this month

Luton are Ok at home but only taken 2 more points from the same number of home games as us - picked the same number of points as us over the past 8 home games to - though taken 7pts from the last 3 games.

Where Luton really need to improve if they have any chance is away. Just 9 points from 18 away games - 3 wins and 15 defeats - they have Wigan, Swansea, Leeds, Huddersfield and Hull away. They will drop some points at home so will need to find more than the 1 away win their season's form suggests they are likely to get.

With regards to the point deductions - Brum were hit with theirs on the 22nd March last year, so you would expect that Derby, Wednesday and Brum again can expect to hear around the same time else it may carry over to the next year - which if so, imagine the Boro chairman will sue anyone who moves if Boro drop.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Mar 2020 14:47

We're completely safe from points deduction, right?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Mar 2020 14:49

WestYorksRoyal We're completely safe from points deduction, right?

I think its getting to a point where it would be too late for it to apply this season. Guess it could apply at the start of next season if one was coming, which I don't think it is, ftr.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Mar 2020 15:08

Probably impossible to say for sure but there's been no real suggestion we're at risk and it would have taken a cockup of monumental proportions by Nigel Howe for us to miss the FFP targets. Other clubs seem to have quite different issues

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Mar 2020 15:36

As we haven't been charged with anything then yes we are.

If we are charged, then no we're not but the likelihood at the moment seems small and as mentioned if we were, we would likely be looking at the deduction being applied next year given Weds were charged in November, Derby and Brum in January and they are still waiting to hear if they are to be punished.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Mar 2020 18:58

Leeds fans are so tribal they are celebrating the fact Blackburn are charging them 40 quid for away tickets.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Mar 2020 19:41

NewCorkSeth Leeds fans are so thick they are celebrating the fact Blackburn are ripping them off for 40 quid for away tickets.
plain English

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Mar 2020 19:44

NewCorkSeth Leeds fans are so tribal they are celebrating the fact Blackburn are charging them 40 quid for away tickets.

That's the issue with going down to their level. If you start playing them at their own game their thick supporters will wear it as a badge of honour. Clubs like us should continue with our sensible pricing and be the example for others imo.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 06 Mar 2020 20:25

Jesus, Millwall are slaughtering Forest right now.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Mar 2020 21:14

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth Leeds fans are so tribal they are celebrating the fact Blackburn are charging them 40 quid for away tickets.

That's the issue with going down to their level. If you start playing them at their own game their thick supporters will wear it as a badge of honour. Clubs like us should continue with our sensible pricing and be the example for others imo.

I think you're right. As nice as it would be to see all clubs charge Leeds for being pricks about their pricing I think it is better to stick to our very fair pricing structure.

It just amazes me that so many Leeds fans are so brainwashed by their club that they genuinely think that them selling out a 7k allocation at 40 quid a ticket is something other clubs should want to aspire too.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Mar 2020 21:14

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Leeds fans are so thick they are celebrating the fact Blackburn are ripping them off for 40 quid for away tickets.
plain English

Lol.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Mar 2020 21:15

tidus_mi2 Jesus, Millwall are slaughtering Forest right now.

Gaz is doing a superb job at Millwall.

17260 posts