Rival Watch

17259 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: Rival Watch

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jul 2020 10:47

paultheroyal Am I right in saying that a win tonight and Luton / Barnsley draw we are mathematically safe?

Bowen has done alright hasn't he? Some turnaround.

He has done what was asked of him I guess. Wouldn't say it was to surprising given the squad we have compared to others down there.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2020 11:06

paultheroyal Am I right in saying that a win tonight and Luton / Barnsley draw we are mathematically safe?

Have you factored in the tricky bit of looking at who has to play who ?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2020 11:08

Old Man Andrews

He has done what was asked of him I guess. Wouldn't say it was to surprising given the squad we have compared to others down there.

He’s no Gareth Ainsworth, that’s for sure.....

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 07 Jul 2020 12:38

Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Snowflake Royal I can't decide if it's trolling or breakdown.

The former.
Classic use of the ‘everything I said is factual’ line also used by Carbooter. Ignoring the fact that the facts don’t support the arguement !

Both teams made 6 changes to their teams for the cup fixture. End of discussion. Fact.

I was surprised both teams played weakened teams in the previous league game as well

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Jul 2020 13:40

Old Man Andrews If Wycombe win the playoffs will it be the greatest managerial achievement in football history by Gareth Ainsworth?

Categorically true.

Whether it's the greatest managerial achievement in football history, is a totally different story.

Bob Stokoe rescuing Carlisle. Carlisle making the top division?

Newport County after going bust, reforming, coming up from The Hellenic League, two consecutive years at Wembley, then Michael Flynn's "Great Escape" and challenging for the POs following season (at a club run by fans)..

Plenty of others.

Leicester winning the Prem probably eclipses all...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Jul 2020 13:42

Nameless
Old Man Andrews If Wycombe win the playoffs will it be the greatest managerial achievement in football history by Gareth Ainsworth?

It will definitely be

Gareth Ainsworth has done nothing better as a manager.

Missed that. Just said the same.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Jul 2020 13:44

Well, there's always a points deduction for FFP, or going bust...

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Jul 2020 14:14

Assuming Wigan don't get their points deduction cancelled/suspended then yes we will be.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2020 14:26

Snowball

Categorically true.

Whether it's the greatest managerial achievement in football history, is a totally different story.

Newport County after going bust, reforming, coming up from The Hellenic League, two consecutive years at Wembley, then Michael Flynn's "Great Escape" and challenging for the POs following season (at a club run by fans)..

Plenty of others.

Actuallythe answer is Steve Coppell, 106.....

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 07 Jul 2020 14:49

Nameless
Snowball

Categorically true.

Plenty of others.

That was better achievement than Ainsworth at Wycombe

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jul 2020 14:52

SouthDownsRoyal
Nameless
Snowball
Categorically true.

Plenty of others.

Was it really though? Both are great achievements but I think Ainsworth building and guiding Wycombe to success is slightly greater.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 07 Jul 2020 15:02

Old Man Andrews
SouthDownsRoyal
Nameless

Was it really though? Both are great achievements but I think Ainsworth building and guiding Wycombe to success is slightly greater.

I don’t, I’m afraid.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jul 2020 15:04

SouthDownsRoyal
Old Man Andrews
SouthDownsRoyal

I don’t, I’m afraid.

Thats fine, all about opinions. Well done for expressing it respectfully. Lots of others could learn from you.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Jul 2020 15:50

Snowball

Categorically true.

Plenty of others.

Stokoe also winning the FA Cup with Sunderland

Actually thing Brian Clough taking Forest from where Reading are now to double European Cup* winners in 4.5 seasons, I think it was, beats all other achievements.

* Champions League for all the under 20s out there.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2020 16:14

Old Man Andrews
SouthDownsRoyal
Nameless

Getting promoted from Div 1 via the playoffs is a bigger achievement than waltzing to a record breaking league win a division higher ?
Bear in mind Coppell did it with a squad made up of players with no history of great success, almost all either journeymen pros or untried finds from lower leagues assembled on a very small budget.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Jul 2020 18:16

Leave Nature Boy OMA to his gimmick.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jul 2020 18:26

sandman Leave Nature Boy OMA to his gimmick.

Bore off. It's not your conversation to get involved in.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Jul 2020 16:59

Middlesbrough win at Millwall, if Wigan win their appeal 3rd bottom will certainly be more than 50 points this season.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jul 2020 17:52

windermereROYAL Middlesbrough win at Millwall, if Wigan win their appeal 3rd bottom will certainly be more than 50 points this season.

Possibly but I can’t see Hull getting anything more than 4 or 5 points from their remaining games and something similar for Stoke which means 22nd would finish with 50 or 51 points so one of those two will join Luton and Barnsley in League 1 next season.

Huddersfield, Middlesbrough and Charlton I think have enough about them currently to be safe by the final day leaving just Birmingham as the other surprise “challenger” given their current form.

Wigan is a strange one, I don’t think they’ll finish 12 points or more ahead of 22nd but given the suspicious circumstances I can’t see how the FL could justify applying a 12 point deduction.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Jul 2020 18:52

Birmingham losing at HT, they can`t buy a win at the moment, Hull losing, Wigan beating the fakes.

17259 posts